|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who from Norday volunteers to fight for King George II against the French?
(a) Thorfinn Ragnarson.
(b) Tobin Raffel.
(c) Elijah Ayre.
(d) John Elphinston.
2. How does Thorfinn imagine Prince Charles life after the escape?
(a) Becoming a great writer of romance novels.
(b) Full of pomp and circumstance.
(c) A glorious death on the fields of battle.
(d) Living out his years as a crofter on Norday Island.
3. What upsets the farmers about the arrival of the workmen?
(a) The workmen are very lazy.
(b) Dust is raised in the construction process.
(c) Farms are being taken by the government.
(d) Young women want to marry the workmen.
4. Who is Ragna courting in chapter 6?
(a) Andrew Rosey.
(b) Stalwart Inqvest.
(c) Ransom Terry.
(d) Selkie Downs.
5. What is Matilda Kerrigan known as in Norday Island?
(a) Bold as brass.
(b) Tall as a tree.
(c) Hasty woman.
(d) Long-suffering wife.
6. What piece of technology does Matthew Ragnarson bring home in chapter 6?
(c) Wireless set.
(d) Xerox machine.
7. What three chocolate bars are mentioned in chapter 6's description of the festival celebration?
(a) Hershey, Ghiradelhi and Snickers.
(b) Cadbury, Fry and Rowntree.
(c) Milk, Dark and Semi-Sweet.
(d) LIndt, Swiss and Bardor.
8. What type of music do the workmen play?
(a) Classical music.
(b) English Drinking songs.
(c) Music of Donegal and Clydeside.
(d) Jazz and Blues.
9. What is the oddest thing the hippie families try to grow on the deserted Norday Island?
(a) Palm trees.
10. Why is the present laird so poor?
(a) He spent his money on women and wine.
(b) Norday is poor.
(c) He has chosen a life of poverty and contemplation.
(d) His grandfather had to sell all his land.
11. Who is Thomas Vass?
(a) Laird's factor, who manages his property and business.
(b) Sophie's intended groom.
(c) Village smithy.
(d) Laird's uncle.
12. What has Thorfinn come back from the war to find in Norday?
(a) A deserted island.
(b) Family and friends.
(c) Thriving community and lush farms.
(d) A rich heritage and strong village.
13. According to author Brown, what does the real self seek?
(a) Fame and fortune.
(d) True treasure, the grail.
14. How many rooms does the laird's Hall have?
15. What type of "disease" does Thorfinn have when the military comes looking for him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What rings for the first time on Norday, brought by the workmen?
2. Where does Thorfinn see peat smoke rising from on what he thinks is a deserted Norday?
3. What is Thorfinn working on at the start of chapter 8?
4. Where has the Reverend Hector Drummond arrived at Norday from?
5. When the original Hall burns down, where does the laird stay that winter?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)