|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Scottish and Irish laborers do when they arrive?
(a) Evict all the Norday residents.
(b) Erect village of Nissen huts.
(c) Cover a beach with concrete.
(d) Take over the main buildings and farm.
2. What dates are carved on Jacob Olafson's stone?
3. What reaction do the seals have to the noise and chaos of the workers on Norday?
(a) Refuse to eat.
(b) Gather other seals and surround Norday.
(c) Swim away to another island.
(d) Crawl up onto the shore and die.
4. What does Thorfinn see, climbing hill Fea against the blue and white of the sky, in chapter 5?
(a) A red fox.
(b) His mother's ghost.
(c) A yellow haired girl on a horse.
(d) A flock of geese flying east.
5. Where do the young Norday men hide from the military men and factor?
(b) Boats off shore.
(c) Laird's Hall.
(d) Cliffs of Dover.
6. Who burns down the original Hall?
(a) King George II's sailors.
(b) Bonnie Prince Charles.
(c) The laird on a drunken ramble.
(d) The Jacobian army.
7. Who brings Thorfinn his supplies on the deserted Norday Island now that everyone else has gone?
(a) Mansie Drever, the Selskay fisherman.
(b) Ragna Magnarson.
(c) Supplies are dropped by air.
(d) Sophie, on the horse Selkie.
8. How does Thorfinn deal with the tension in his family in chapter 6?
(a) Types a story out on his typewriter.
(b) Goes out into the fields and rides Selkie.
(c) Tries to bring everyone together to talk.
(d) Runs away and joins the army.
9. What does the Norday pastor pick up "beside the ocean of time" in chapter 5?
(d) Broch stones.
10. After Tina Lyde is chased off by Thorfinn's sister in chapter 6 what does Tina do?
(a) Becomes a nun.
(b) Marries a wealthy Irishman.
(c) Dresses as a man and hires on a fishing yacht.
(d) Stands at a distance, at twilight and looks towards Ingle.
11. When does the Bishop Usher set the date of Creation?
(a) 1 million years before Christ.
(b) 2 AD.
(c) 10,000 BC.
(d) 4004 BC.
12. Where has the Reverend Hector Drummond arrived at Norday from?
(a) A monastery in Italy.
(b) A big church in Glasgow.
(c) Irish kirk college.
(d) The far reaches of Northern Canada.
13. Why does Thorfinn put off eating canned food upon his final return to Norday?
(a) He is not sure the food is safe.
(b) It feels like cheating.
(c) The cans were stolen.
(d) The canned food is very expensive.
14. How old is Thorfinn when he leaves school?
15. Who is Major Schneider?
(a) Old friend of John Evans who likes Thorfin's writing.
(b) German commander of prison camp and mentor to Thorfinn.
(c) English lord who supplies Thorfinn with paper.
(d) British capitalist who produces Thorfinn's first book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the grand plan of the government for Norday island's new purpose?
2. What are the two big houses on Norday Island?
3. What three chocolate bars are mentioned in chapter 6's description of the festival celebration?
4. What is Thorfinn working on at the start of chapter 8?
5. What is Mr. Abernethy passionately against?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)