|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who generally rules the manse and the pastor on Norday Island?
(b) Board of Trustees at the Kirk.
(d) Minister's wife.
2. Who arrives on the Raven one summer day in 1937?`
(a) Three important looking men who were surveyors.
(c) Thorfinn's mother and father.
(d) King George IV.
3. What are the villagers celebrating in the summer of 1937?
(a) Norday's independence from Orkney.
(b) Coronation of King George and Queen Elizabeth.
(c) End of World War II.
(d) Emancipation of Scotland from Ireland.
4. Who brings Thorfinn his supplies on the deserted Norday Island now that everyone else has gone?
(a) Mansie Drever, the Selskay fisherman.
(b) Supplies are dropped by air.
(c) Ragna Magnarson.
(d) Sophie, on the horse Selkie.
5. What do the workmen set up in the Gleb hayfield?
(b) Beer canteen.
(c) Television antennae.
(d) Lottery station.
6. When does the original Hall burn down?
7. Who does Thorfinn assume has stayed on the deserted island?
(a) Matthew Ragnarson.
(b) Jimmy Greeno.
(c) One of the hippie families.
(d) Janet Olafson.
8. What dates are carved on Jacob Olafson's stone?
9. When does the Bishop Usher set the date of Creation?
(a) 1 million years before Christ.
(b) 10,000 BC.
(c) 2 AD.
(d) 4004 BC.
10. What brought Doctor Lamond down to the work site?
(a) The construction chief was ill with diptheria.
(b) Murphy and Watson had a fight.
(c) A fire burned several men to death.
(d) Consumption had began to be spread.
11. What is Matilda Kerrigan known as in Norday Island?
(a) Long-suffering wife.
(b) Bold as brass.
(c) Hasty woman.
(d) Tall as a tree.
12. Where do the young Norday men hide from the military men and factor?
(a) Cliffs of Dover.
(c) Laird's Hall.
(d) Boats off shore.
13. Who is Major Schneider?
(a) English lord who supplies Thorfinn with paper.
(b) British capitalist who produces Thorfinn's first book.
(c) German commander of prison camp and mentor to Thorfinn.
(d) Old friend of John Evans who likes Thorfin's writing.
14. What are the names of Mr. Harcourt-Smither's granddaughters?
(a) Josie and Margaret.
(b) Debbie and Penny.
(c) Ragna and Magdalena.
(d) Mara and Vass.
15. What does Matilda Kerrigan do to the three surveyors?
(a) Drowns them in the ocean.
(b) Shoots them with a rifle.
(c) Invites them to stay with her.
(d) Attacks their equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes over the laird's Hall?
2. What is Thorfinn working on at the start of chapter 8?
3. According to author Brown, what does the real self seek?
4. What is Mr. Abernethy passionately against?
5. What reaction do the seals have to the noise and chaos of the workers on Norday?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)