|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Norday men are put on the list to be sent as seamen on His Majesty's men-of-war?
2. What type of "disease" does Thorfinn have when the military comes looking for him?
3. Who is Selkie?
(a) Sophie's twin sister.
(b) Laird's two year old chestnut colt.
(c) Thorfinn's collie.
(d) Isa's cat.
4. What upsets the farmers about the arrival of the workmen?
(a) Farms are being taken by the government.
(b) Dust is raised in the construction process.
(c) The workmen are very lazy.
(d) Young women want to marry the workmen.
5. What is this "crudded milk, fantastical puff-paste" that George Mackay Brown speaks of in chapter 6?
(a) Angels who fall from heights.
(b) No purpose in life.
(c) Insubstantial pastry.
(d) Our body.
6. What does Matthew Ragnarson's dog Stalwart do when the workmen demolish Ingle's fence?
(a) Bites one of them.
(b) Tears the fence down for them.
(c) Hides in the barn.
(d) Runs into the sea.
7. When does the original Hall burn down?
8. What dates are carved on Jacob Olafson's stone?
9. What does the Norday pastor pick up "beside the ocean of time" in chapter 5?
(a) Broch stones.
10. How does Thorfinn imagine Prince Charles life after the escape?
(a) Living out his years as a crofter on Norday Island.
(b) Full of pomp and circumstance.
(c) Becoming a great writer of romance novels.
(d) A glorious death on the fields of battle.
11. What reaction do the seals have to the noise and chaos of the workers on Norday?
(a) Gather other seals and surround Norday.
(b) Crawl up onto the shore and die.
(c) Swim away to another island.
(d) Refuse to eat.
12. What has Thorfinn come back from the war to find in Norday?
(a) Family and friends.
(b) A deserted island.
(c) A rich heritage and strong village.
(d) Thriving community and lush farms.
13. According to author Brown, what does the real self seek?
(b) True treasure, the grail.
(d) Fame and fortune.
14. Who does Thorfinn assume has stayed on the deserted island?
(a) Janet Olafson.
(b) Matthew Ragnarson.
(c) One of the hippie families.
(d) Jimmy Greeno.
15. What is Mr. Abernethy passionately against?
(b) Strong drink.
(c) Tory government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two Norday inhabitants seem untouched by the chaos and destruction of the aerodrome workers?
2. Where does Thomas Vass move after Norday is deserted?
3. Who is Thomas Vass?
4. What is a croft?
5. Where does the Norday laird of the 1930s spend most of his time?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)