|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hector Drummond known for?
(a) Excellent horseback riding skill.
(b) Gardening expertise.
(c) Sailing and fishing.
(d) His beautiful, mellifluous voice.
2. Who does the title of chapter 3 "A Man's Life" refer to?
(b) Matthew Ragnarson.
(c) Child reaching manhood.
(d) Old man on the island.
3. What is a sign that the broch is being neglected?
(a) A stone falls during a winter tempest.
(b) The well dries up.
(c) The entire castle collapses.
(d) The door rots and falls away.
4. What is the name of Olafson's farm?
(c) Gray Head.
(d) Near Coast.
5. When does Jacob Olafson die?
(a) December 25th.
(b) April 1st.
(c) August 9th.
(d) November 3rd.
6. What will the Bishop drink after his choppy steamer crosses from Aberdeen?
(a) Hot milk.
(b) Vagabond's mix.
(c) Ice tea.
(d) Old Orkney whiskey.
7. What does "The Song of the Broch" promise?
(a) The sea will overtake the broch in time.
(b) No trouble will ever come again.
(c) The broch will always be in good repair.
(d) Stones will crumble.
8. What happens when the Sea King ship is sighted?
(a) The army is sent to shore to defend the village.
(b) Flocks are driven in, fishermen hide in caves, families in the broch.
(c) All gather in the church and pray.
(d) Everyone runs to boats and tries to escape the island.
9. What do the visitors bring to the Prince Boris in Thorfinn's first dream?
(a) Iron ore.
(b) Kegs of brandy.
(c) Butterfly nets.
(d) White horse.
10. Who is the new proprietor of Norday's only inn and pub?
11. What is the name of Jacob Olafson's boat?
12. Why does Will Olafson need help on the croft?
(b) Severe rheumatism.
(d) Alzheimer's disease.
13. Who is the chief body guard of Prince Boris?
(a) Bear named Ivan.
(b) Pack of silver wolves.
(c) Rolf Rolfson.
(d) Immense man named Illyich.
14. What is the place named Ingle?
(a) Harbor bar.
(b) County seat.
(c) Village store.
(d) Ragnarson's farm.
15. How long does it take for Thorfinn to make the journey back to Norday Island from the Eastern Empire?
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are iron rations?
2. What does Matthew Ragnarson buy from the village store at the beginning of chapter 1?
3. When are the brochs first built in the Orkney islands?
4. After his adventure with what does Thorfinn step on the shores of Norday Island?
5. Upon what craft does Thorfinn return to Norday Island from Byzantine?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)