• Thorfinn Ragnarson is a schoolboy on the island of Norday, in the Orkney islands north of Scotland in the 1930s.
• Thorfinn lives with his father Matthew, who is a crofter/tenant farmer and his three sisters: Inga, Sigrid and Ragna.
• Thorfinn's teacher and most of the other islanders consider him a lazy, unintelligent child.
• Thorfinn drifts off during a school history lesson and creates a fantastic journey in his imagination.
• In his fantasy he is a Orkney boy travelling with Swedish Vikings centuries earlier on the ship the Solan Goose.
• The Vikings voyage to Russia where Thorfinn manages to save the day through a clever trick.
• The Vikings head down the Volga River towards Byzantium and are attacked by Cossacks.
• When they finally arrive in Byzantium, the crew is greeted warmly by a commander sent by the Emperor.
• The Emperor demands service from the Vikings for a...
This section contains 2,271 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)