|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part I of A German Requiem, how many countries occupy Germany?
2. What does Gunther discover about this couple that he finds information on at the Documents Center?
3. Who is able to afford a high-priced lawyer and a nice home in Vienna?
4. Who is Herr Weisthor?
5. What does Gunther tell the parents of the missing girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gunther willing to be a mole in the American organization in Pullach?
2. When Becker opened one of the packages he was supposed to deliver, what did he find?
3. What do the American counter-intelligence officers want from Gunther?
4. What does Gunther learn at the Berlin Documents Center?
5. What does Gunther realize about Linden's death from Belinsky and looking at dental records in Dr. Heim's office?
6. What is Gunther's theory that he reveals to Belinsky about Becker and Holls in A German Requiem - Part I, Chapters 10-18?
7. What does the discovery of hashish reveal to Gunther?
8. What was Becker's assignment and who did he meet with?
9. Who is Neumann and what does he tell Gunther that helps him in his case?
10. What does Gunther hear after the seance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Bernhard Gunther. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of honor and courage in Berlin Noir. Which characters, if any, seem honorable and courageous and in what way? Do the circumstances of war change the definition of what honor and courage is? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in Berlin Noir. What or who is being lost? How does this loss affect Bernhard Gunther's subsequent actions? Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)