|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the Cold War begins, where does Berlin lie?
2. Who does Gunther smash on the head that is holding a gun?
3. What does Gunther tell the parents of the missing girls?
4. Who does Gunther meet before he leaves for Vienna who works as a guard at a prison?
5. Who does Gunther realize after meeting Weisthor are all conspirators?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the shocking discovery that Gunther makes about Weisthor, the psychic?
2. How does Gunther kill Nebe and escape?
3. What does Gunther learn at the Berlin Documents Center?
4. What is revealed in the seance about a dead teenager?
5. What does Gunther do to discover more about Vogelmann and what does he find?
6. What is Gunther's theory that he reveals to Belinsky about Becker and Holls in A German Requiem - Part I, Chapters 10-18?
7. When Becker opened one of the packages he was supposed to deliver, what did he find?
8. What does Gunther learn from Dr. Kindermann about Inge?
9. What is Gunther surprised to see in Vienna as compared to Berlin after the war?
10. What does Gunther learn from Reinhard through harsh interrogation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kerr is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
What does the title "March Violets" signify? How is this title important in conveying the historical relevance of the novel and what contrasts in people and society does it imply? Explain your thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in Berlin Noir. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)