|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Belinsky work for?
2. Who is killed by a hit-and-run driver?
3. What does a friend of Becker give Gunther to allay his fears?
4. Who used to work for the Austrian Nazi Party?
5. Who is the Russian intelligence officer that comes to Gunther in need of investigative services?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the discovery of hashish reveal to Gunther?
2. Describe how Captain Linden and Becker meet.
3. How did Becker escape from imprisonment during the war and get his assignment with the American company in Pullach?
4. What does Gunther learn from Reinhard through harsh interrogation?
5. What did Gunther's wife do that he found disturbing?
6. Who is Dr. Rahm and why is Gunther disturbed by his involvement in the teenage murder case?
7. What do the American counter-intelligence officers want from Gunther?
8. What is Gunther surprised to see in Vienna as compared to Berlin after the war?
9. What is the shocking discovery that Gunther makes about Weisthor, the psychic?
10. What does Gunther do to discover more about Vogelmann and what does he find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Berlin Noir deals directly with World War II and its aftermath, the issue of freedom is constantly present. Is Bernhard Gunther free and in what way? What other characters exhibit freedom and in what way? Is the desire for personal freedom, such as physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual space, narcissistic? Is it necessary for survival? Describe your thoughts based upon the effects of war on characters such as Bernhard Gunther, Inge, Hermann Six, Captain Linden, Becker, and Belinsky.
Essay Topic 2
Politics play a significant role in Berlin Noir. How do politics affect the role of the main character Gunther? How do politics affect the relationships of characters? How do politics ultimately affect the final outcome at the end of the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Bernhard Gunther. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)