|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gunther do a background check on that reveals he is in the SS and a fanatical anti-Semite?
2. When Gunther visits the Documents Center, what couple does he learn more about?
3. Who does Gunther smash on the head that is holding a gun?
4. What is located in Pullach?
5. Who is killed by a hit-and-run driver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Gunther surprised to see in Vienna as compared to Berlin after the war?
2. What does Becker's ex-wife tell Gunther about Becker?
3. What happens to Veronika's doctor and what does Gunther discover in the process?
4. What is the shocking discovery that Gunther makes about Weisthor, the psychic?
5. Who is Neumann and what does he tell Gunther that helps him in his case?
6. When Becker opened one of the packages he was supposed to deliver, what did he find?
7. What is Gunther's theory that he reveals to Belinsky about Becker and Holls in A German Requiem - Part I, Chapters 10-18?
8. What was Becker's assignment and who did he meet with?
9. What does Colonel Poroshin ask Gunther to do?
10. What does Liebl reveal to Gunther about many Austrians in the War and its aftermath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the title "March Violets" signify? How is this title important in conveying the historical relevance of the novel and what contrasts in people and society does it imply? Explain your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Fear is an important theme throughout the book, particularly when unusual, unexplained, or terrible things happen. Discuss fear as it is used in Berlin Noir. Explain how fear works into various stories and how it relates to various characters.
Essay Topic 3
Detective fiction is a popular genre for its archetypal characters such as the hard-boiled detective, the dangerously alluring femme fatale, and the well-heeled villain surrounded by gun-toting thugs. Which of these characters appear in Berlin Noir? Are there any variations to their characterizations and in what way? What aspects of this popular genre do you find appealing and why?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)