|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bodies of dead teenage girls have been found when Gunther joins the case?
2. Who is Kurt Mutschmann?
3. Who is the member of the German Strength that visited Mutschmann in prison?
4. Who is the forensic psychiatrist that Gunther brings to assist him on the case of the serial murder of teenage girls in Berlin?
5. When Gunther goes to the residence of Tillesson, what does he find there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Goering offer Gunther and vice-versa?
2. How does Gunther gain access to Haupthandler's apartment?
3. Where does Gunther go in search of the diamond necklace and what does he find?
4. What does Gunther learn when he visits Tillesson's residence?
5. What does Gunther find when he goes to Herring's apartment after learning that Bruno is dead?
6. What does Six reveal to Gunther about Grete's background and how it affected her marriage while they travel on the boat to the German Strength headquarters?
7. Describe the German Strength.
8. When Gunther meets with Marlene, what does he learn about Six, Pfarr, and Grete?
9. Describe Bernhard Gunther.
10. Who does Gunther suspect is the thief and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is an important theme throughout the book, particularly when unusual, unexplained, or terrible things happen. Discuss fear as it is used in Berlin Noir. Explain how fear works into various stories and how it relates to various characters.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for Berlin Noir. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these places (Berlin, Vienna, London) change before and after the war? What affect do these changes have on the characters? Why did the author choose to use these places in Berlin Noir?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Bernhard Gunther. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)