|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gunther find at the Tillesson residence that makes him suspect Hans Bock is involved in the robbery?
2. What are the directions on the paper that the prisoner grips in March Violets, Chapters 14-19 for?
3. Where was Mutschmann incarcerated?
4. What does Frau Schmidt tell Gunther about Paul?
5. Why does the Gestapo need Gunther's expertise in The Pale Criminal, Part I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bernhard Gunther.
2. Describe Inge.
3. What did the German Strength group need from Bock and Mutschmann and what happened to them?
4. What does Six reveal to Gunther about Grete's background and how it affected her marriage while they travel on the boat to the German Strength headquarters?
5. What does the maid tell Gunther about the deceased couple?
6. What does Gunther find in Haupthandler's apartment and what does this indicate?
7. What does Six tell Gunther about Mutschmann and the jewelry and documents?
8. When Gunther meets with Marlene, what does he learn about Six, Pfarr, and Grete?
9. How did Mutschmann double-cross Dieter?
10. When Gunther goes to the morgue, what does he learn about Grete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"He had a nose that looked like it'd gotten more pockmarks in it than every bit of land between the Germans and English at the Somme." Find other examples of simile employed by Philip Kerr in the Berlin Noir that are effective and humorous, revealing interesting details about characters.
Essay Topic 2
The title "German Strength" is used for the undercover organization in Berlin that contains many former Nazi officials and ex-convicts. What does this title imply? What emotions does this title evoke for you as a reader? How does this compare to your understanding of the Gestapo, the Nazi party, citizens' groups, and counter intelligence groups? Do you think the group has the right to organize or not? Describe and discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Bernhard Gunther. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)