|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting in ambush for Gunther?
2. Who did the criminal information that Pfarr had pertain to?
3. What does Goering tell Gunther about Von Greis?
4. Who is Klaus Herring?
5. What does Gunther offer the reporter friend as a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gunther gain access to Haupthandler's apartment?
2. What does Gunther learn when he visits Tillesson's residence?
3. Why is Reinhard Lange being blackmailed?
4. Describe Julius Streicher.
5. What does Gunther discover about Herring?
6. What does Gunther find when he goes to Herring's apartment after learning that Bruno is dead?
7. What does the maid tell Gunther about the deceased couple?
8. Describe Inge.
9. How did Mutschmann double-cross Dieter?
10. Describe the German Strength.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Becker. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Becker's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Germany in the 1940s and 1950s when the women in Berlin Noir are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? How is this different from women in other European countries at the time and in America? For example, when Inge is not allowed to work despite her experience, what does this reveal about the German Reich and their principles for society? What freedoms, if any, did they have that women today do not have?
Essay Topic 3
What does the title "March Violets" signify? How is this title important in conveying the historical relevance of the novel and what contrasts in people and society does it imply? Explain your thoughts.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)