|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the wealthy German industrialist that needs Gunther's services as a private investigator?
2. When the Gestapo pick up Gunther, to whom do they deliver him?
3. Who is the lawyer working for the Department of the Interior who was murdered, which Gunther is asked to investigate?
4. What does Gunther find at the Tillesson residence that makes him suspect Hans Bock is involved in the robbery?
5. When Gunther goes to Haupthandler's residence, who does he find there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Arthur Nebe and what does he believe?
2. What does Gunther reveal at the police station after being taken from the Haupthandler's residence and why is he still frantic?
3. What does Goering offer Gunther and vice-versa?
4. What does Six reveal to Gunther about Grete's background and how it affected her marriage while they travel on the boat to the German Strength headquarters?
5. Who does Gunther suspect is the thief and what does he do about it?
6. When Gunther meets with Marlene, what does he learn about Six, Pfarr, and Grete?
7. What is the information Gunther has to begin his case involving the murder of teenage girls in Berlin?
8. What did the German Strength group need from Bock and Mutschmann and what happened to them?
9. What happens when Gunther goes to Haupthandler's residence?
10. What does Gunther find in Haupthandler's apartment and what does this indicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Bernhard Gunther. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Detective fiction is a popular genre for its archetypal characters such as the hard-boiled detective, the dangerously alluring femme fatale, and the well-heeled villain surrounded by gun-toting thugs. Which of these characters appear in Berlin Noir? Are there any variations to their characterizations and in what way? What aspects of this popular genre do you find appealing and why?
Essay Topic 3
Kerr is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)