|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was General von Reichenau's command headquarters on May 20, 1940?
2. Who did Shirer meet at the hotel after arriving in Paris in June 1940?
3. What were the prisoners promised for removing the time bombs dropped by the British?
4. What did Shirer think Hitler's reason was for signing that military pact?
5. Where did Shirer want Tess and Eileen to go following Germany's move against the Benelux countries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shirer believe about Nazi propaganda according to Part II, pgs. 492-552?
2. What did Shirer feel about the British?
3. What happened to the public schools in Berlin as of February according to Part II, pgs. 289-330?
4. What marked the end of the Reich's second phase?
5. Why did Hitler refuse to allow the publication of casualty lists according to Shirer?
6. What did the Germans announce that they did not accept responsibility for?
7. What did the German troops do on May 1?
8. What did a speech given by Roosevelt on June 11 promise?
9. What did the Germans begin in mid-August?
10. What did the German press report on July 15 according to Part II, pgs. 451-492?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Goebbels announced that Hitler restored universal military service. Students should discuss the impact of required military service and examine the benefits and drawbacks of such a requirement. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The Hindenburg disaster occurred in May 1937. Students should discuss Shirer's coverage of the Hindenburg disaster, the impact of censorship on his report, and what theories developed after the destruction of the passenger airship. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Shirer often complains about the degree of censorship in Nazi Germany. Students should examine the benefits and drawbacks of censorship and how Hitler used censorship to his advantage in creating the Nazi war machine. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)