|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Shirer want Tess to leave through Paris?
2. What was required of the French delegation in order to sign an armistice with Italy?
3. When did Britain give its answer to Hitler's peace offering?
4. What did Shirer think Hitler's reason was for signing that military pact?
5. Where did Shirer say the Germans were amassing troops on February 1940?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Germans begin in mid-August?
2. What did newspaper headlines in Germany on May 9 announce and what did Shirer believe according to Part II, pgs. 331-369?
3. What do Tess and Eileen do on October 23?
4. Who signed the military pact on September 27 according to Part II, pgs. 532-575 and what did Shirer feel about Hitler's ability?
5. Who did Shirer interview in Part II, pgs. 369-409 and what did Shirer notice?
6. What was the state of the media by September?
7. What did the German troops do on May 1?
8. What happened to all of Shirer's broadcasts?
9. Why did Hitler refuse to allow the publication of casualty lists according to Shirer?
10. Which of Hitler's plans were revealed on July 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shirer discusses the execution of traitors and those who committed crimes against Germans. Students should examine war crimes and prisoners of war, examining the protocol used by countries in World War II. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The Germans justified the invasion by saying that other countries, such as Poland, were planning to invade. Students should examine how Germans justified the invasion and whether it was plausible. Students should use the text and secondary sources to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The fall of Paris was a crucial moment in the history of the Holocaust and World War II. Students should examine the fall of Paris and how some people believed that it was an act of treachery on the part of the French Army, as well as how it marked the end of the second phase of Hitler's plan. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)