|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Dutch army surrender to the Germans?
2. Who signed a peace agreement on March 13, 1949?
3. What did Shirer say the Germans attempted on September 16, 1940?
4. What did Shirer see as he arrived at his hotel on May 21, 1940?
5. What did the Germans hope the Americans would do in the territories occupied in 1939-1940?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Hitler's plans were revealed on July 25?
2. What countries did Germany invade on May 10 and how did Germans justify the invasion?
3. What happened to the public schools in Berlin as of February according to Part II, pgs. 289-330?
4. What happened to all of Shirer's broadcasts?
5. What did Shirer feel about the British?
6. What did a speech given by Roosevelt on June 11 promise?
7. What did the Germans announce that they did not accept responsibility for?
8. Why was Shirer in Lausanne on April 23 and when did he return to Berlin?
9. How much of the Parisian population had fled in Part II, pgs. 409-450 when Shirer arrived in Paris?
10. What did the Germans begin in mid-August?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shirer often complains about the degree of censorship in Nazi Germany. Students should examine the benefits and drawbacks of censorship and how Hitler used censorship to his advantage in creating the Nazi war machine. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
At midnight, Hitler announced the formation of a war cabinet and the war began the next morning with the invasion of Poland. Students should examine the role of the war cabinet formed by Hitler, as well as those in the war cabinet. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Students should examine the use of transmitters by Shirer and compare the use of the transmitters prior to 1949 with the time he was given a transmitter by the Germans during the invasion of France. Students should discuss the reasoning behind the decision of the Germans and discuss the benefits and drawbacks to Shirer using the transmitter. Use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)