|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Hitler attack at the start of Part II?
2. Who did Germany take off the air on October 19, 1939?
3. Who did Hitler meet with in September 1938 to talk about the Czech situation?
4. Where was Shirer on December 10, 1939?
5. When did Hitler review his troops in Warsaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Shirers at the beginning of Part I, pgs. 83-124?
2. What happened on September 1, 1939?
3. What did the Czechoslovakian government claim in Part I, pgs. 125-165 and what did Shirer do?
4. What did the author spend a year doing at the start of the Berlin Diary, Part I, pgs. 4-44?
5. What was announced at a press conference on March 16 and what did people wonder?
6. What happened on September 30?
7. What happened on December 10 and why was this significant?
8. What did Shirer say about going to Berlin?
9. What happened on April 10, 1938?
10. What did Hitler say in his speech on September 17 according to Part II, pgs. 207-248?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Nazis continued to advance, with many countries putting up a short fight, surrendering or even signing pacts with Germany. Students should examine the advancement of the Nazis, analyzing the strategy of Hitler and comparing conquered territories with his inability to wipe out the Royal Air Force. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The fall of Paris was a crucial moment in the history of the Holocaust and World War II. Students should examine the fall of Paris and how some people believed that it was an act of treachery on the part of the French Army, as well as how it marked the end of the second phase of Hitler's plan. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Shirer discusses the execution of traitors and those who committed crimes against Germans. Students should examine war crimes and prisoners of war, examining the protocol used by countries in World War II. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)