|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hitler demand in a speech on September 12, 1938 according to Part I, pgs. 125-165?
2. What city did Shirer go to after Danzig?
3. Where did Shirer drive to on September 18, 1939?
4. When was Shirer in Paris according to Part I?
5. What general did Shirer interview on January 8, 1940?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shirer say about going to Berlin?
2. What happened on September 30?
3. What did the Shirers and Knickerbockers do in June?
4. What happened on September 1, 1939?
5. Where did Shirer travel on February 12?
6. What happened to the Shirers at the beginning of Part I, pgs. 83-124?
7. What did Shirer note about the party rally on September 14?
8. What did Roosevelt ask Congress?
9. Why did Shirer have to hire other reporters?
10. What did Shirer do on January 8, 1940?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Hindenburg disaster occurred in May 1937. Students should discuss Shirer's coverage of the Hindenburg disaster, the impact of censorship on his report, and what theories developed after the destruction of the passenger airship. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Shirer traveled to the war front on a few occasions during the Berlin Diary, including his time at Aachen. Students should examine his role when traveling to the war front, why the journalists were kept at a distance, and why they would be allowed to travel in these regions. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The Germans justified the invasion by saying that other countries, such as Poland, were planning to invade. Students should examine how Germans justified the invasion and whether it was plausible. Students should use the text and secondary sources to support their discussion.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)