|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hitler deny after presenting his plan to have Germany self-sufficient in raw materials?
2. Why were the Shirers happy to leave Germany?
3. Where did Tess Shirer stay to await the birth of their first child?
4. Until when did Shirer say Hitler would continue the war?
5. Where was Murrow on December 10, 1939?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made the German people realize how close the war was?
2. What pact was announced in November and what did it call for?
3. What did Shirer work on while Tess and Eileen were in America?
4. What did Shirer inform the Germans of?
5. Why couldn't Shirer work in Austria and what did Tess do?
6. What was announced at a press conference on March 16 and what did people wonder?
7. What happened to the Shirers at the beginning of Part I, pgs. 83-124?
8. What did Hitler say in his speech on September 17 according to Part II, pgs. 207-248?
9. What did Shirer do on January 8, 1940?
10. What broadcast did Shirer do in May 1937?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Goebbels announced that Hitler restored universal military service. Students should discuss the impact of required military service and examine the benefits and drawbacks of such a requirement. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The Hindenburg disaster occurred in May 1937. Students should discuss Shirer's coverage of the Hindenburg disaster, the impact of censorship on his report, and what theories developed after the destruction of the passenger airship. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Shirer discusses the execution of traitors and those who committed crimes against Germans. Students should examine war crimes and prisoners of war, examining the protocol used by countries in World War II. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)