|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did most of the correspondents at the Taverne feel that the French could do in March 1936 according to Shirer?
2. Why were the Shirers happy to leave Germany?
3. How long ago did Shirer say the last military action took place in Part II, pgs. 248-289?
4. When did the rationing of food in Germany start?
5. What did Shirer say he had to have approved by the German censors before broadcast in May 1937?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Shirers and Knickerbockers do in June?
2. What did Shirer work on while Tess and Eileen were in America?
3. What were Americans in Berlin advised of at the end of August?
4. What did the author spend a year doing at the start of the Berlin Diary, Part I, pgs. 4-44?
5. Why did Shirer have to hire other reporters?
6. What happened to the Shirers at the beginning of Part I, pgs. 83-124?
7. What did Roosevelt ask Congress?
8. What did Hitler say in his speech on September 17 according to Part II, pgs. 207-248?
9. What did Shirer do on January 8, 1940?
10. Where did Shirer travel on February 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shirer traveled to Rome to cover the death of Pope Pius XI, as well as the election of the new Pope. Students should examine the role of the Catholic Church in World War II, particularly in regards to Mussolini. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Shirer did not cover concentration camps in the Berlin Diary. Students should examine why he did not cover concentration camps and why other journalists did not reveal what was happening in the camps. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
A plebiscite was called by Schuschnigg, the chancellor of Austria, but Germany threatened to invade and it was cancelled. Students should define and discuss plebiscite and examine what role it played in the Austrians voting to join the Third Reich. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)