|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Germans first bomb Paris?
(a) August 1, 1940.
(b) June 3, 1940.
(c) June 1, 1940.
(d) June 3, 1941.
2. What did Shirer say the Berliners knew about Nazi propaganda after the first bomb drop on Berlin?
(a) The war was started.
(b) They were vulnerable.
(c) They were being lied to.
(d) The Luftwaffe was not as powerful as they thought.
3. What shortage did Shirer describe as being worse than ever?
4. What did Shirer say he asked himself at the end of September 1940?
(a) Why he became a journalist.
(b) If he should ask for German citizenship.
(c) Why he was staying in Berlin.
(d) If he should enroll in the U.S army.
5. Where was the only accessible place in western continental Europe where one could take a plane or boat to the Americas in October 1940?
(a) Rome, Italy.
(b) Dunkirk, France.
(c) Lisbon, Portugal.
(d) Madrid, Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevented many German public schools from opening according to Shirer?
2. When did Tess and Eileen depart Geneva?
3. Who was elected President of the United States on November 6, 1940?
4. When were the Germans entering Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg?
5. When did Shirer return to Berlin after the armistice signature between France and Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Tess and Eileen do on October 23?
2. What did the Germans begin in mid-August?
3. What did the German press report on July 15 according to Part II, pgs. 451-492?
4. What did the German troops do on May 1?
5. What marked the end of the Reich's second phase?
6. Why was Shirer in Lausanne on April 23 and when did he return to Berlin?
7. What did many journalists do in Belgium?
8. What did a speech given by Roosevelt on June 11 promise?
9. What countries did Germany invade on May 10 and how did Germans justify the invasion?
10. What was the state of the media by September?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)