|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shortage did Shirer describe as being worse than ever?
2. Who signed a peace agreement on March 13, 1949?
(a) France and Russia.
(b) France and Italy.
(c) England and Germany.
(d) Russia and Finland.
3. What did the government declare Paris to be in June 1940?
(a) An open city.
(b) A lost cause.
(c) A free zone.
(d) A point of resistance.
4. Why didn't Shirer want Tess to leave through Paris?
(a) Paris was full of fleeing civilians.
(b) Germans would reach it before she did.
(c) There was no plan for Spain in Paris.
(d) It was too much of a trip for her and the child.
5. What prevented many German public schools from opening according to Shirer?
(a) Lack of coal.
(b) Lack of oil.
(c) The arrest of Jewish teachers.
(d) The draft.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Germans first bomb Paris?
2. How did Germany justify their entering Holland, Belgium and Luxemburg?
3. What did Shirer notice when he visited the Calais front?
4. When was Geneva bombed according to Shirer?
5. When did Shirer return to Berlin after attending the meeting of the International Broadcasting Union in Lausanne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shirer notice when he traveled to the front on May 19?
2. Why did Hitler refuse to allow the publication of casualty lists according to Shirer?
3. Who signed the military pact on September 27 according to Part II, pgs. 532-575 and what did Shirer feel about Hitler's ability?
4. What did newspaper headlines in Germany on May 9 announce and what did Shirer believe according to Part II, pgs. 331-369?
5. What happened between March 13 and March 17?
6. What happened to the dismay of the Germans on November 6?
7. Why was the rest of Hitler's massive air assault never fully implemented?
8. What ceremony did Shirer cover on June 21?
9. What happened to all of Shirer's broadcasts?
10. What did a speech given by Roosevelt on June 11 promise?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)