|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the prisoners promised for removing the time bombs dropped by the British?
(a) Better food.
(b) A quick death.
(d) Better accommodations.
2. What did Shirer think Hitler's reason was for signing that military pact?
(a) He could not easily win against England.
(b) He wanted Italy on his side.
(c) He wanted Japan's access to oil.
(d) He wanted to attack Russia.
3. What did General von Reichenau command on May 20, 1940?
(a) Germany's 6th army.
(b) Germany's 7th army.
(c) Germany's 2nd army.
(d) Germany's 5th army.
4. Why didn't Shirer want Tess to leave through Paris?
(a) Paris was full of fleeing civilians.
(b) It was too much of a trip for her and the child.
(c) Germans would reach it before she did.
(d) There was no plan for Spain in Paris.
5. Where was Shirer on July 4, 1940?
(a) With Hitler in the Alps.
(b) With his family in Geneva.
(c) In Berlin with Murrow.
(d) In Poland with the 5th Panzer army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Shirer see in Berlin on September 18, 1940?
2. What shortage did Shirer describe as being worse than ever?
3. What did Hitler demand of England in order to talk peace?
4. How did Germany justify their entering Holland, Belgium and Luxemburg?
5. Who was Germany's main supplier of iron in 1940?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the public schools in Berlin as of February according to Part II, pgs. 289-330?
2. What did the Germans announce that they did not accept responsibility for?
3. Why was the rest of Hitler's massive air assault never fully implemented?
4. Which of Hitler's plans were revealed on July 25?
5. What did Shirer feel about the British?
6. Why did Hitler refuse to allow the publication of casualty lists according to Shirer?
7. What did the Germans begin in mid-August?
8. What did Shirer believe about Nazi propaganda according to Part II, pgs. 492-552?
9. What did the German press report on July 15 according to Part II, pgs. 451-492?
10. What was the state of the media by September?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)