|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Austrian president in February 1938?
(a) Johann Schobe.
(b) Heinz Fischer.
(c) Kurt Waldheim.
2. When did the Russian Army invade Poland?
(a) September 7, 1939.
(b) June 17, 1939.
(c) September 17, 1940.
(d) September 17, 1939.
3. Who did Shirer start to work for on October 1, 1937?
4. What did Shirer cover on February 1936 according to Part I, pgs. 44-83?
(a) The Winter Olympics.
(b) The 3rd communist party congress.
(c) The Summer Olympics.
(d) Hitler's oath of office.
5. What did the Russians do on December 1, 1939?
(a) Attacked Denmark.
(b) Attacked China.
(c) Attacked Germany.
(d) Invaded Finland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Shirer say met in London on July 14?
2. Who was named head of the government after the demonstration Shirer described in Part I?
3. When did the rationing of food in Germany start?
4. How did William Shirer go to America in June 1939?
5. What pact did Hitler use as an excuse to violate a treaty in March 1936?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on September 30?
2. What did Shirer inform the Germans of?
3. Why did Shirer have to hire other reporters?
4. What did Roosevelt ask Congress?
5. What did the Czechoslovakian government claim in Part I, pgs. 125-165 and what did Shirer do?
6. What made the German people realize how close the war was?
7. What happened when Shirer returned home to Geneva and what arrangement did Murrow make according to Part II, pgs. 248-289?
8. What did Shirer do on January 8, 1940?
9. What did Shirer note about the party rally on September 14?
10. What did the author spend a year doing at the start of the Berlin Diary, Part I, pgs. 4-44?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)