|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hitler demand of England in order to talk peace?
(a) Give its radar technology.
(b) Disarm its fleet.
(c) Give away India.
(d) Disarm its air force.
2. When did the Dutch army surrender to the Germans?
(a) May 14, 1940.
(b) May 4, 1940.
(c) May 14, 1939.
(d) May 14, 1941.
3. What did Shirer say the German newspapers announced on May 9, 1949 according to Part II, pgs.331-369?
(a) The British wanted to invade Germany.
(b) The British had plans to spread the war.
(c) France would be easily defeated.
(d) The Russians were dangerous.
4. Why were the Dutch and Belgian troops not trying to slow down the German army?
(a) They were pro-Germany.
(b) They were poorly trained.
(c) They were overwlemed too quickly.
(d) They were poorly commanded.
5. What did General von Reichenau command on May 20, 1940?
(a) Germany's 6th army.
(b) Germany's 5th army.
(c) Germany's 2nd army.
(d) Germany's 7th army.
6. What did the Germans tell the journalists they flew to Hamburg?
(a) They had to be supervised.
(b) That they could see whatever they wanted.
(c) They were free to go back to England.
(d) They were prisoners of the Third Reich.
7. Where did Shirer say the Germans were amassing troops on February 1940?
(a) The Russian border.
(b) The French border.
(c) The Belgium Border.
(d) The Dutch border.
8. How did Germany justify their entering Holland, Belgium and Luxemburg?
(a) They were supporting France and Britain.
(b) They were not supporting Germany.
(c) They were planning on invading Germany.
(d) England and France were planning to invade through them.
9. Who signed a peace agreement on March 13, 1949?
(a) England and Germany.
(b) Russia and Finland.
(c) France and Russia.
(d) France and Italy.
10. When did the French government sign an armistice with Germany?
(a) June 2, 1940.
(b) July 21, 1940.
(c) June 21, 1940.
(d) June 21, 1941.
11. What did Shirer say many of the journalists did in Belgium?
(a) Fled to England.
(b) Transmitted news without censors.
(c) Found memorabilia of the war.
(d) Shopped for things impossible to find in Germany.
12. When did the Germans start their air attack of England?
(a) Mid October.
(b) Mid June.
(c) Mid August.
(d) Mid September.
13. What did Shirer see as he arrived at his hotel on May 21, 1940?
(a) French bombers.
(b) German bombers.
(c) Italian bombers.
(d) British bombers.
14. What illness did Shirer catch in Part II, pgs. 289-330?
(a) The flu.
(c) Small pox.
(d) A common cold.
15. When did Britain give its answer to Hitler's peace offering?
(a) July 22.
(b) July 29.
(c) July 24.
(d) July 30.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Germans do in retaliation for the bombing of Berlin?
2. What did Shirer notice when he visited the Calais front?
3. Where were the Italians fighting on September 1940?
4. When were Tess and Eileen supposed to leave for the Americas according to Part II, pgs. 532-575?
5. What rumor was Shirer concerned about in mid-October 1940?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)