|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevented many German public schools from opening according to Shirer?
(a) Lack of coal.
(b) The arrest of Jewish teachers.
(c) The draft.
(d) Lack of oil.
2. When did the French government sign an armistice with Germany?
(a) June 21, 1940.
(b) July 21, 1940.
(c) June 2, 1940.
(d) June 21, 1941.
3. When did the German press announce that the troops were ready to attack Britain according to Part II, pgs. 451-492?
(a) July 15, 1940.
(b) July 16, 1940.
(c) July 17, 1940.
(d) July 18, 1940.
4. When did Shirer say a victory parade was held in Berlin after the victory against the France?
(a) July 18, 1940.
(b) July 19, 1940.
(c) July 18, 1941.
(d) August 15, 1940.
5. What did Shirer say he asked himself at the end of September 1940?
(a) Why he became a journalist.
(b) If he should ask for German citizenship.
(c) If he should enroll in the U.S army.
(d) Why he was staying in Berlin.
6. What did the government declare Paris to be in June 1940?
(a) A lost cause.
(b) A point of resistance.
(c) A free zone.
(d) An open city.
7. What did Shirer notice when visiting the front on May 20, 1940?
(a) There were no Allied airplanes to direct the firing.
(b) They were abandoning their equipment.
(c) They were surrendering.
(d) They were not fighting.
8. When was Geneva bombed according to Shirer?
(a) June 12, 1941.
(b) June 10, 1940.
(c) June 12, 1940.
(d) May 12, 1940.
9. What did Shirer say Hitler would not be able to do even if he won the war?
(a) Reorganize Europe.
(b) Convince the Russians not to attack him.
(c) Set up an effective food rationing system.
(d) Win over the Russians.
10. What strain did Shirer say began to take a toll on the German people?
(a) Lack of food.
(b) Lack of oil.
(c) Lack of coal.
(d) Lack of sleep because of the bombing.
11. When did the Germans start their air attack of England?
(a) Mid September.
(b) Mid August.
(c) Mid June.
(d) Mid October.
12. What responsibility did Germany refuse after the conquest of the territories made in 1939-1940?
(a) The protection of the civilians against looters.
(b) The moving of the Jews to Germany.
(c) The moving of the refugees.
(d) Feeding the people in the occupied territories.
13. What did Shirer say Germany could not survive?
(a) The military war.
(b) The propaganda war.
(c) The economic war.
(d) The war on terror.
14. When did Tess and Eileen depart Geneva?
(a) September 23, 1940.
(b) October 23, 1941.
(c) October 24, 1940.
(d) October 23, 1940.
15. Where was the only accessible place in western continental Europe where one could take a plane or boat to the Americas in October 1940?
(a) Rome, Italy.
(b) Dunkirk, France.
(c) Lisbon, Portugal.
(d) Madrid, Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Germany's main supplier of iron in 1940?
2. What was required of the French delegation in order to sign an armistice with Italy?
3. Where did Shirer want Tess and Eileen to go following Germany's move against the Benelux countries?
4. What right did the broadcaster have regarding censorship?
5. What city did the Germans take on May 26, 1940?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)