|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the Dutch and Belgian troops not trying to slow down the German army?
(a) They were overwlemed too quickly.
(b) They were pro-Germany.
(c) They were poorly trained.
(d) They were poorly commanded.
2. What did Hitler demand of England in order to talk peace?
(a) Give its radar technology.
(b) Disarm its air force.
(c) Give away India.
(d) Disarm its fleet.
3. Where did Shirer want Tess and Eileen to go following Germany's move against the Benelux countries?
(a) To America.
(b) To Spain.
(c) To France.
(d) To Switzerland.
4. What rumor was Shirer concerned about in mid-October 1940?
(a) A successful landing of German troops in England.
(b) Hitler taking Gibraltar.
(c) Hitler's assassination.
(d) Hitler attacking Russia.
5. When did Shirer say a victory parade was held in Berlin after the victory against the France?
(a) August 15, 1940.
(b) July 19, 1940.
(c) July 18, 1941.
(d) July 18, 1940.
6. When did the Dutch army surrender to the Germans?
(a) May 14, 1940.
(b) May 4, 1940.
(c) May 14, 1941.
(d) May 14, 1939.
7. Why did Shirer think his usefulness as a journalist in Berlin was over?
(a) Because he could not transmit.
(b) Because of the censorship.
(c) Because he could not find the truth.
(d) Because there was nothing to report.
8. Who signed a peace agreement on March 13, 1949?
(a) France and Russia.
(b) Russia and Finland.
(c) England and Germany.
(d) France and Italy.
9. What did the government declare Paris to be in June 1940?
(a) A lost cause.
(b) A point of resistance.
(c) A free zone.
(d) An open city.
10. When did Shirer return to Berlin after attending the meeting of the International Broadcasting Union in Lausanne?
(a) April 9, 1940.
(b) April 29, 1940.
(c) March 29, 1940.
(d) April 29, 1941.
11. Where did Shirer say he and other journalists were flown to on August 4, 1940?
12. When did Britain give its answer to Hitler's peace offering?
(a) July 29.
(b) July 30.
(c) July 24.
(d) July 22.
13. When did Shirer return to Berlin after the armistice signature between France and Germany?
(a) July 27, 1940.
(b) June 28, 1940.
(c) June 27, 1940.
(d) June 27, 1941.
14. When did Shirer return to Berlin?
(a) January 23, 1940.
(b) February 23, 1940.
(c) February 23, 1941.
(d) February 2, 1940.
15. When did Shirer say he and other journalists traveled to the front in Belgium and Holland?
(a) May 19, 1941.
(b) May 9, 1940.
(c) June 19, 1940.
(d) May 19, 1940.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Shirer see as he arrived at his hotel on May 21, 1940?
2. What right did the broadcaster have regarding censorship?
3. What responsibility did Germany refuse after the conquest of the territories made in 1939-1940?
4. Who arrived in Berlin on November 12, 1940?
5. When did Shirer return to Berlin after visiting the western front in Europe?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)