|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Grendel's mother kill during the night?
2. What promise does Hrothgar make to Beowulf after Grendel's mother is defeated?
3. When Beowulf blows his horn, what rises up out of the Grendel lake?
4. How does Hrothgar describe the Grendel lake?
5. How does Hrothgar kill the first monster at the Grendel lake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why isn't Hrothgar able to defeat Grendel without the aid of Beowulf? Formulate a theory and use examples from the book to support your theory.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining what an epic poem is and how this story fits into that definition. What characteristics of an epic does it have? Are there elements of an epic that are missing?
Essay Topic 3
Each of Beowulf's three foes fall along a scale ranging from completely monster to the most human-like. Place the foes in order of least human to most human and discuss the characteristics of each in terms of their animal and human characteristics.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)