|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who promises to come with "a thousand spears and a thousand shields" if the other should be attacked?
2. When Grendel's blood turns the lake red, what do Hrothgar and his men assume?
3. Where does Beowulf see a "tremendous sword" in the lair of Grendel's mother?
4. How does Hrothgar describe the Grendel lake?
5. What does Grendel's mother take off the wall in the hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is some question as to whether or not Wiglaf will make a good king. What does this uncertainty say about the author's view of the stability of his changing world?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Beowulf an archetypal hero? What characteristics does he possess? What are some of the things he does that show he is a hero?
Essay Topic 3
Though the two do not get along, Beowulf wills his sword to Unferth before he goes into battle with Grendel's mother. Why does he do this? What does this act say about Beowulf?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)