|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Beowulf see a "tremendous sword" in the lair of Grendel's mother?
2. Who stays at the lake after the Danes leave?
3. After Beowulf's sword fails to kill Grendel's mother, what does he use to try to fight her?
4. Who is to receive Beowulf's treasure if he dies?
5. What saves Beowulf's life from Grendel's mother's near-fatal attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the defeat of the dragon, Beowulf's people are left in despair at the loss of their king rather than joyous at the defeat of the dragon. What do you think this reaction symbolizes?
Essay Topic 2
There is some question as to whether or not Wiglaf will make a good king. What does this uncertainty say about the author's view of the stability of his changing world?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between sympathy and empathy? Do you think Grendel's mother is a sympathetic or an empathetic character? Why?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)