|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf do when the celebration after Grendel's defeat ends?
2. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
3. What does the Queen give Beowulf and his men to drink?
4. What does Beowulf say his spears are made of?
5. What color is the banner Hrothgar gives Beowulf?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Beowulf and his men learn of the attack of Grendel's mother on Heorot?
2. Why is Beowulf scarcely able to breathe as he fights the dragon?
3. Where is Grendel's mother's lair located?
4. What spoils does Grendel's mother take with her from Heorot?
5. Where was the "tremendous sword" forged and who forged it?
6. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
7. What do Beowulf and his men see when they reach the cliffs on their way to the lair?
8. As Beowulf lies dying, what thoughts give him comfort?
9. How does Beowulf describe Hrothgar when he greets the King?
10. In response to Unferth's tale, what does Beowulf say that he and Breca were really doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Heorot represent to the warriors? Why does it represent these things? How does it represent them?
Essay Topic 2
When Beowulf dies, he leaves no heir to reign in his place. Instead, he has only a kingsman to take the throne. What does the passing of the kingdom to its next ruler in this manner represent in terms of the changes taking place in the author's world?
Essay Topic 3
Hrothgar serves to magnify Beowulf's heroism. In what ways does he do this? What are the aspects of his personality or the actions he takes that show the reader how truly heroic Beowulf is?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)