|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Beowulf, who was the first ashore in the swimming match with Breca?
2. How many serpents did Beowulf slay in his story of the swimming competition between he and Breca's?
3. What attacked Beowulf while he was in the ocean with Breca?
4. How tall is Grendel?
5. When does Hrothgar say he previously knew Beowulf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item lights Beowulf's way as he dives through the Grendel lake?
2. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
3. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
4. How does Beowulf plan to show Unferth what courage is?
5. Why does the dragon wake up?
6. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
7. Why does Beowulf say he needs his mailcoat and shield to fight the dragon?
8. In response to Unferth's tale, what does Beowulf say that he and Breca were really doing?
9. How does Unferth describe Beowulf when he tells the story of Beowulf's swimming race with Breca?
10. Once the Queen leaves Heorot, where do the Danes go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though the two do not get along, Beowulf wills his sword to Unferth before he goes into battle with Grendel's mother. Why does he do this? What does this act say about Beowulf?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Grendel's mother's lair so much like Heorot? What is the significant difference between the two?
Essay Topic 3
After the defeat of the dragon, Beowulf's people are left in despair at the loss of their king rather than joyous at the defeat of the dragon. What do you think this reaction symbolizes?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)