|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beowulf's guide tell him will meet them at Heorot?
2. How many serpents did Beowulf slay in his story of the swimming competition between he and Breca's?
3. What color is the banner Hrothgar gives Beowulf?
4. What does Grendel hate the sound of?
5. What are Grendel's arms described as being like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
2. When Beowulf agrees to battle Grendel's mother, what does Hrothgar offer him as a reward?
3. Why is Beowulf scarcely able to breathe as he fights the dragon?
4. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
5. Where is Grendel's mother's lair located?
6. Who is Aeschere?
7. Why does Grendel retreat to his lair after battling with Beowulf?
8. What hope does Beowulf have for his future as Chapter 3 begins?
9. Why does Beowulf ask for an iron shield rather than a wooden one before he battles the dragon?
10. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hrothgar serves to magnify Beowulf's heroism. In what ways does he do this? What are the aspects of his personality or the actions he takes that show the reader how truly heroic Beowulf is?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Grendel's mother's lair so much like Heorot? What is the significant difference between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Though the two do not get along, Beowulf wills his sword to Unferth before he goes into battle with Grendel's mother. Why does he do this? What does this act say about Beowulf?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)