|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beowulf and his men cross on their way to Heorot?
2. As Beowulf and his men march to Heorot, what glares from their helmets?
3. What does Hrothgar vow to treat Beowulf like after Grendel's defeat?
4. Who is Wulfgar?
5. What are Hrothgar and his warriors doing when Grendel first enters Heorot?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Beowulf and his men learn of the attack of Grendel's mother on Heorot?
2. What does the dragon do in seeking his revenge?
3. After Grendel's mother fails to kill Beowulf with a knife, how does Beowulf break free of her?
4. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
5. Where does the watchman see the "glint of death" in Beowulf's party?
6. What does Grendel look like?
7. Why does Grendel attack Heorot at night?
8. How does Beowulf feel about his dying to defeat the dragon and win the treasure for his people?
9. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
10. Why is Wiglaf the only one of Beowulf's men to come to Beowulf's aid as he battles the dragon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the journey of Beowulf's life changes him over time? Or, do you think his heroic deeds merely prepared him to be king one day?
Essay Topic 2
There is a point during the battle with Grendel's mother at which only God can save Beowulf. Why do you think the author makes it a point to state that God set Beowulf free? What does this saving of Beowulf symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
After the defeat of the dragon, Beowulf's people are left in despair at the loss of their king rather than joyous at the defeat of the dragon. What do you think this reaction symbolizes?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)