Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Beowulf and his men march to Heorot, what glares from their helmets?
2. What does the Queen give Beowulf and his men to drink?
3. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
4. What attacked Beowulf while he was in the ocean with Breca?
5. What instrument does the minstrel play while Beowulf and his men are in the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Beowulf and his men learn of the attack of Grendel's mother on Heorot?
2. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
3. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
4. How does Beowulf kill the dragon?
5. Rather than Beowulf being the one to call for help when he and Breca were in the ocean, what does Beowulf say actually happened?
6. Why is Wiglaf the only one of Beowulf's men to come to Beowulf's aid as he battles the dragon?
7. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
8. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
9. Where does the watchman see the "glint of death" in Beowulf's party?
10. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of Christianity in Beowulf the Warrior. What was going on historically at the time the epic was written? How is that reflected in the story? Describe elements that represent Christianity as well as elements that represent paganism.
Essay Topic 2
What makes Beowulf an archetypal hero? What characteristics does he possess? What are some of the things he does that show he is a hero?
Essay Topic 3
The foes Beowulf faces represent three emotions that sometimes result in violence. What are those emotions? Which foe represents each of these emotions? How do they represent the emotion? What actions do they take and why?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)