|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
2. What does Grendel hate the sound of?
3. Who did Hrothgar give golden rings and bracelets to?
4. Who does Beowulf's guide tell him will meet them at Heorot?
5. Who is Wulfgar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beowulf tell Hrothgar in an attempt to convince him to accept Beowulf's bid to slay Grendel?
2. What spoils does Grendel's mother take with her from Heorot?
3. Why does Beowulf say he needs his mailcoat and shield to fight the dragon?
4. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
5. Where does the watchman see the "glint of death" in Beowulf's party?
6. What does Beowulf do while he's traveling to the dragon's den?
7. What happens when Beowulf strikes the dragon with his sword?
8. When Beowulf and Hrothgar are saying their goodbyes, what does Hrothgar pledge to Beowulf?
9. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
10. How do Beowulf's men react when they see that Beowulf is faltering during his battle with the dragon?
Essay Topic 1
Though the two do not get along, Beowulf wills his sword to Unferth before he goes into battle with Grendel's mother. Why does he do this? What does this act say about Beowulf?
Essay Topic 2
When Beowulf dies, he leaves no heir to reign in his place. Instead, he has only a kingsman to take the throne. What does the passing of the kingdom to its next ruler in this manner represent in terms of the changes taking place in the author's world?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of Christianity in Beowulf the Warrior. What was going on historically at the time the epic was written? How is that reflected in the story? Describe elements that represent Christianity as well as elements that represent paganism.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)