|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall is Grendel?
2. What kind of man is Unferth described as being?
3. Who meets Beowulf and his men when they reach Denmark?
4. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
5. What does Beowulf call Unferth's claims against him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was the "tremendous sword" forged and who forged it?
2. Where does the watchman see the "glint of death" in Beowulf's party?
3. What happens when Beowulf strikes the dragon with his sword?
4. What is Wiglaf armed with?
5. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
6. Why does Beowulf nail Grendel's arm to the wall of Heorot?
7. Where is Grendel's mother's lair located?
8. What does Beowulf command Wiglaf to do with the treasure?
9. When Beowulf cuts Grendel's head from his body, what happens to Grendel's blood?
10. Why does the dragon wake up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The foes Beowulf faces represent three emotions that sometimes result in violence. What are those emotions? Which foe represents each of these emotions? How do they represent the emotion? What actions do they take and why?
Essay Topic 2
Why isn't Hrothgar able to defeat Grendel without the aid of Beowulf? Formulate a theory and use examples from the book to support your theory.
Essay Topic 3
Though the two do not get along, Beowulf wills his sword to Unferth before he goes into battle with Grendel's mother. Why does he do this? What does this act say about Beowulf?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)