|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Beowulf and his men reach Heorot, what are they heavy with?
2. What does Beowulf do when the celebration after Grendel's defeat ends?
3. What does the Queen give Beowulf and his men to drink?
4. Who stays awake waiting for Grendel while the other warriors sleep in the hall?
5. What instrument does the minstrel play while Beowulf and his men are in the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Beowulf scarcely able to breathe as he fights the dragon?
2. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
3. How does Beowulf plan to show Unferth what courage is?
4. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
5. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
6. Why does Grendel attack Heorot?
7. How does Beowulf kill the dragon?
8. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
9. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
10. Why does Beowulf say he needs his mailcoat and shield to fight the dragon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Queen is mentioned only briefly in the story, yet her role is significant. What does the queen represent? Why is her role important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Each of Beowulf's three foes fall along a scale ranging from completely monster to the most human-like. Place the foes in order of least human to most human and discuss the characteristics of each in terms of their animal and human characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
What does Heorot represent to the warriors? Why does it represent these things? How does it represent them?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)