|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Beowulf and his men when they reach Denmark?
2. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
3. What does Beowulf call Unferth's claims against him?
4. After Beowulf tells the story of himself and Breca, what does he call Unferth?
5. What does Hrothgar vow to treat Beowulf like after Grendel's defeat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beowulf ask for an iron shield rather than a wooden one before he battles the dragon?
2. What hope does Beowulf have for his future as Chapter 3 begins?
3. What does Grendel look like?
4. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
5. How does Beowulf feel about his dying to defeat the dragon and win the treasure for his people?
6. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
7. What spoils does Grendel's mother take with her from Heorot?
8. What does Beowulf command Wiglaf to do with the treasure?
9. What does Beowulf tell Hrothgar in an attempt to convince him to accept Beowulf's bid to slay Grendel?
10. As Beowulf lies dying, what thoughts give him comfort?
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the journey of Beowulf's life changes him over time? Or, do you think his heroic deeds merely prepared him to be king one day?
Essay Topic 2
Why isn't Hrothgar able to defeat Grendel without the aid of Beowulf? Formulate a theory and use examples from the book to support your theory.
Essay Topic 3
There is some question as to whether or not Wiglaf will make a good king. What does this uncertainty say about the author's view of the stability of his changing world?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)