|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hrothgar?
2. How long does Unferth say Beowulf wallowed at sea?
3. Who does Beowulf's guide tell him will meet them at Heorot?
4. After Beowulf tells the story of himself and Breca, what does he call Unferth?
5. What are Hrothgar and his warriors doing when Grendel first enters Heorot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beowulf describe Hrothgar when he greets the King?
2. What kind of wound does the dragon give Beowulf?
3. Why is Beowulf scarcely able to breathe as he fights the dragon?
4. How does Beowulf kill the dragon?
5. What item lights Beowulf's way as he dives through the Grendel lake?
6. Why does Beowulf ask for an iron shield rather than a wooden one before he battles the dragon?
7. What is the name of the man the watchman says will meet Beowulf and his men at the door of Heorot, and what is the man's position in the kingdom?
8. What does Beowulf tell Hrothgar in an attempt to convince him to accept Beowulf's bid to slay Grendel?
9. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
10. Who is Aeschere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Heorot represent to the warriors? Why does it represent these things? How does it represent them?
Essay Topic 2
There is a point during the battle with Grendel's mother at which only God can save Beowulf. Why do you think the author makes it a point to state that God set Beowulf free? What does this saving of Beowulf symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Beowulf an archetypal hero? What characteristics does he possess? What are some of the things he does that show he is a hero?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)