|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Beowulf, who was the first ashore in the swimming match with Breca?
2. What does Beowulf do with his "grisly trophy" of Grendel's defeat?
3. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
4. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
5. After Beowulf tells the story of himself and Breca, what does he call Unferth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beowulf describe Hrothgar when he greets the King?
2. What does the dragon do in seeking his revenge?
3. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
4. As Beowulf lies dying, what thoughts give him comfort?
5. What does Beowulf command Wiglaf to do with the treasure?
6. After Hrunting fails Beowulf, how do Beowulf and Grendel's mother fight?
7. What kind of wound does the dragon give Beowulf?
8. What is the name of the man the watchman says will meet Beowulf and his men at the door of Heorot, and what is the man's position in the kingdom?
9. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
10. What happens when Beowulf strikes the dragon with his sword?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The foes Beowulf faces represent three emotions that sometimes result in violence. What are those emotions? Which foe represents each of these emotions? How do they represent the emotion? What actions do they take and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between sympathy and empathy? Do you think Grendel's mother is a sympathetic or an empathetic character? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Grendel's mother's lair so much like Heorot? What is the significant difference between the two?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)