|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf do when the celebration after Grendel's defeat ends?
2. As Beowulf and his men march to Heorot, what glares from their helmets?
3. For how many years had Grendel plagued Hrothgar?
4. How long does Unferth say Beowulf wallowed at sea?
5. What does Grendel want to do when he is first confronted by Beowulf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people in the story call the Baltic Sea?
2. Why does Beowulf say he needs his mailcoat and shield to fight the dragon?
3. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
4. Why does Grendel retreat to his lair after battling with Beowulf?
5. Why does Grendel attack Heorot at night?
6. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
7. What is Wiglaf armed with?
8. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
9. Why is Beowulf scarcely able to breathe as he fights the dragon?
10. Why does Beowulf ask for an iron shield rather than a wooden one before he battles the dragon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The foes Beowulf faces represent three emotions that sometimes result in violence. What are those emotions? Which foe represents each of these emotions? How do they represent the emotion? What actions do they take and why?
Essay Topic 2
Though the two do not get along, Beowulf wills his sword to Unferth before he goes into battle with Grendel's mother. Why does he do this? What does this act say about Beowulf?
Essay Topic 3
There is some question as to whether or not Wiglaf will make a good king. What does this uncertainty say about the author's view of the stability of his changing world?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)