|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man is Unferth described as being?
2. What does Grendel do with the men he takes from Heorot?
3. What does Hrothgar vow to treat Beowulf like after Grendel's defeat?
4. Who did Hrothgar give golden rings and bracelets to?
5. How many horses does Hrothgar give Beowulf and his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grendel retreat to his lair after battling with Beowulf?
2. Why does Beowulf ask for an iron shield rather than a wooden one before he battles the dragon?
3. Where was the "tremendous sword" forged and who forged it?
4. When do Beowulf and his men learn of the attack of Grendel's mother on Heorot?
5. Why does the dragon wake up?
6. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
7. What do Beowulf and his men see when they reach the cliffs on their way to the lair?
8. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
9. Once the Queen leaves Heorot, where do the Danes go?
10. How does Beowulf describe Hrothgar when he greets the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why isn't Hrothgar able to defeat Grendel without the aid of Beowulf? Formulate a theory and use examples from the book to support your theory.
Essay Topic 2
The foes Beowulf faces represent three emotions that sometimes result in violence. What are those emotions? Which foe represents each of these emotions? How do they represent the emotion? What actions do they take and why?
Essay Topic 3
When Beowulf dies, he leaves no heir to reign in his place. Instead, he has only a kingsman to take the throne. What does the passing of the kingdom to its next ruler in this manner represent in terms of the changes taking place in the author's world?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)