|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
2. What does Hrothgar vow to treat Beowulf like after Grendel's defeat?
3. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
4. What are Hrothgar and his warriors doing when Grendel first enters Heorot?
5. How many horses does Hrothgar give Beowulf and his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Beowulf strikes the dragon with his sword?
2. What does Beowulf command Wiglaf to do with the treasure?
3. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
4. Why does Grendel attack Heorot at night?
5. Why does Beowulf say he needs his mailcoat and shield to fight the dragon?
6. What is Wiglaf armed with?
7. When do Beowulf and his men learn of the attack of Grendel's mother on Heorot?
8. What does the dragon do in seeking his revenge?
9. Why is Beowulf scarcely able to breathe as he fights the dragon?
10. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hrothgar serves to magnify Beowulf's heroism. In what ways does he do this? What are the aspects of his personality or the actions he takes that show the reader how truly heroic Beowulf is?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Beowulf an archetypal hero? What characteristics does he possess? What are some of the things he does that show he is a hero?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining what an epic poem is and how this story fits into that definition. What characteristics of an epic does it have? Are there elements of an epic that are missing?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)