|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many serpents did Beowulf slay in his story of the swimming competition between he and Breca's?
2. What does Beowulf do with his "grisly trophy" of Grendel's defeat?
3. What are Grendel's arms described as being like?
4. What does Hrothgar vow to treat Beowulf like after Grendel's defeat?
5. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grendel look like?
2. What spoils does Grendel's mother take with her from Heorot?
3. When do Beowulf and his men learn of the attack of Grendel's mother on Heorot?
4. Where is Grendel's mother's lair located?
5. Why does Grendel retreat to his lair after battling with Beowulf?
6. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
7. What does Beowulf command Wiglaf to do with the treasure?
8. How does Beowulf describe Hrothgar when he greets the King?
9. Why does Grendel attack Heorot?
10. What happens when Beowulf strikes the dragon with his sword?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Beowulf dies, he leaves no heir to reign in his place. Instead, he has only a kingsman to take the throne. What does the passing of the kingdom to its next ruler in this manner represent in terms of the changes taking place in the author's world?
Essay Topic 2
What does Heorot represent to the warriors? Why does it represent these things? How does it represent them?
Essay Topic 3
The foes Beowulf faces represent three emotions that sometimes result in violence. What are those emotions? Which foe represents each of these emotions? How do they represent the emotion? What actions do they take and why?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)