|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacked Beowulf while he was in the ocean with Breca?
2. When Beowulf and his men reach Heorot, what are they heavy with?
3. According to Beowulf, in the story of his swimming competition with Breca, who cried out for help?
4. Who meets Beowulf and his men when they reach Denmark?
5. Who does Unferth claim Beowulf lost a swimming match to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Wiglaf the only one of Beowulf's men to come to Beowulf's aid as he battles the dragon?
2. Why does Beowulf nail Grendel's arm to the wall of Heorot?
3. As Beowulf lies dying, what thoughts give him comfort?
4. Why does Grendel retreat to his lair after battling with Beowulf?
5. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
6. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
7. After Hrunting fails Beowulf, how do Beowulf and Grendel's mother fight?
8. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
9. Rather than Beowulf being the one to call for help when he and Breca were in the ocean, what does Beowulf say actually happened?
10. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
Essay Topic 1
The Queen is mentioned only briefly in the story, yet her role is significant. What does the queen represent? Why is her role important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
After the defeat of the dragon, Beowulf's people are left in despair at the loss of their king rather than joyous at the defeat of the dragon. What do you think this reaction symbolizes?
Essay Topic 3
There is a point during the battle with Grendel's mother at which only God can save Beowulf. Why do you think the author makes it a point to state that God set Beowulf free? What does this saving of Beowulf symbolize?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)