Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Beowulf and his men march to Heorot, what glares from their helmets?
2. What does the Queen give Beowulf and his men to drink?
3. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
4. What attacked Beowulf while he was in the ocean with Breca?
5. What instrument does the minstrel play while Beowulf and his men are in the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Beowulf and his men learn of the attack of Grendel's mother on Heorot?
2. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
3. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
4. How does Beowulf kill the dragon?
5. Rather than Beowulf being the one to call for help when he and Breca were in the ocean, what does Beowulf say actually happened?
6. Why is Wiglaf the only one of Beowulf's men to come to Beowulf's aid as he battles the dragon?
7. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
8. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
9. Where does the watchman see the "glint of death" in Beowulf's party?
10. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
Essay Topic 1
What does Heorot represent to the warriors? Why does it represent these things? How does it represent them?
Essay Topic 2
The foes Beowulf faces represent three emotions that sometimes result in violence. What are those emotions? Which foe represents each of these emotions? How do they represent the emotion? What actions do they take and why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining what an epic poem is and how this story fits into that definition. What characteristics of an epic does it have? Are there elements of an epic that are missing?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)