|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man is Unferth described as being?
2. Who does Unferth claim Beowulf lost a swimming match to?
3. Who stays awake waiting for Grendel while the other warriors sleep in the hall?
4. How many horses does Hrothgar give Beowulf and his men?
5. When Beowulf and his men reach Heorot, what are they heavy with?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Grendel's mother fails to kill Beowulf with a knife, how does Beowulf break free of her?
2. What is Wiglaf armed with?
3. What does Beowulf do while he's traveling to the dragon's den?
4. What does Beowulf tell Hrothgar in an attempt to convince him to accept Beowulf's bid to slay Grendel?
5. What happens when Beowulf strikes the dragon with his sword?
6. How does Beowulf kill the dragon?
7. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
8. What does Beowulf command Wiglaf to do with the treasure?
9. Why is Wiglaf the only one of Beowulf's men to come to Beowulf's aid as he battles the dragon?
10. Where is Grendel's mother's lair located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Beowulf an archetypal hero? What characteristics does he possess? What are some of the things he does that show he is a hero?
Essay Topic 2
Hrothgar serves to magnify Beowulf's heroism. In what ways does he do this? What are the aspects of his personality or the actions he takes that show the reader how truly heroic Beowulf is?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think the journey of Beowulf's life changes him over time? Or, do you think his heroic deeds merely prepared him to be king one day?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)