|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf call Unferth's claims against him?
2. What does Grendel do with the men he takes from Heorot?
3. What does Beowulf do when the celebration after Grendel's defeat ends?
4. What does Beowulf do with his "grisly trophy" of Grendel's defeat?
5. When does Hrothgar say he previously knew Beowulf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
2. Why does Beowulf nail Grendel's arm to the wall of Heorot?
3. What happens when Beowulf strikes the dragon with his sword?
4. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
5. Why does Beowulf ask for an iron shield rather than a wooden one before he battles the dragon?
6. After Hygelac's death, what does Beowulf do for fifty years?
7. Where was the "tremendous sword" forged and who forged it?
8. What spoils does Grendel's mother take with her from Heorot?
9. How does Beowulf kill the dragon?
10. What is the name of the man the watchman says will meet Beowulf and his men at the door of Heorot, and what is the man's position in the kingdom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the journey of Beowulf's life changes him over time? Or, do you think his heroic deeds merely prepared him to be king one day?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Grendel's mother's lair so much like Heorot? What is the significant difference between the two?
Essay Topic 3
After the defeat of the dragon, Beowulf's people are left in despair at the loss of their king rather than joyous at the defeat of the dragon. What do you think this reaction symbolizes?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)