|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Grendel's arms described as being like?
2. What did Beowulf and his men cross on their way to Heorot?
3. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
4. What instruments are playing as the Queen enters the hall?
5. How many men did Beowulf bring with him to Denmark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
2. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
3. What does the dragon do in seeking his revenge?
4. Why does Beowulf say he needs his mailcoat and shield to fight the dragon?
5. Where does the watchman see the "glint of death" in Beowulf's party?
6. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
7. Where is Grendel's mother's lair located?
8. What is the name of the man the watchman says will meet Beowulf and his men at the door of Heorot, and what is the man's position in the kingdom?
9. What hope does Beowulf have for his future as Chapter 3 begins?
10. When Beowulf cuts Grendel's head from his body, what happens to Grendel's blood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the journey of Beowulf's life changes him over time? Or, do you think his heroic deeds merely prepared him to be king one day?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining what an epic poem is and how this story fits into that definition. What characteristics of an epic does it have? Are there elements of an epic that are missing?
Essay Topic 3
Why isn't Hrothgar able to defeat Grendel without the aid of Beowulf? Formulate a theory and use examples from the book to support your theory.
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)