|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attacked Beowulf while he was in the ocean with Breca?
2. What instruments are playing as the Queen enters the hall?
3. Who meets Beowulf and his men when they reach Denmark?
4. As Beowulf and his men march to Heorot, what glares from their helmets?
5. What instrument does the minstrel play while Beowulf and his men are in the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Unferth describe Beowulf when he tells the story of Beowulf's swimming race with Breca?
2. Why is Beowulf scarcely able to breathe as he fights the dragon?
3. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
4. What does Grendel look like?
5. What does the dragon do in seeking his revenge?
6. What do the people in the story call the Baltic Sea?
7. What is the name of the man the watchman says will meet Beowulf and his men at the door of Heorot, and what is the man's position in the kingdom?
8. How does Beowulf feel about his dying to defeat the dragon and win the treasure for his people?
9. Where does the watchman see the "glint of death" in Beowulf's party?
10. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Queen is mentioned only briefly in the story, yet her role is significant. What does the queen represent? Why is her role important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The foes Beowulf faces represent three emotions that sometimes result in violence. What are those emotions? Which foe represents each of these emotions? How do they represent the emotion? What actions do they take and why?
Essay Topic 3
After the defeat of the dragon, Beowulf's people are left in despair at the loss of their king rather than joyous at the defeat of the dragon. What do you think this reaction symbolizes?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)