|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hrothgar?
2. What does Beowulf do when the celebration after Grendel's defeat ends?
3. According to Beowulf, in the story of his swimming competition with Breca, who cried out for help?
4. How many men did Beowulf bring with him to Denmark?
5. What does Hrothgar vow to treat Beowulf like after Grendel's defeat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Beowulf scarcely able to breathe as he fights the dragon?
2. Why does Beowulf nail Grendel's arm to the wall of Heorot?
3. When Beowulf agrees to battle Grendel's mother, what does Hrothgar offer him as a reward?
4. Rather than Beowulf being the one to call for help when he and Breca were in the ocean, what does Beowulf say actually happened?
5. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
6. What hope does Beowulf have for his future as Chapter 3 begins?
7. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
8. Why does Beowulf say he needs his mailcoat and shield to fight the dragon?
9. In response to Unferth's tale, what does Beowulf say that he and Breca were really doing?
10. What does Grendel look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between sympathy and empathy? Do you think Grendel's mother is a sympathetic or an empathetic character? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Though the two do not get along, Beowulf wills his sword to Unferth before he goes into battle with Grendel's mother. Why does he do this? What does this act say about Beowulf?
Essay Topic 3
After the defeat of the dragon, Beowulf's people are left in despair at the loss of their king rather than joyous at the defeat of the dragon. What do you think this reaction symbolizes?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)