|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf do when the celebration after Grendel's defeat ends?
2. Who stays awake waiting for Grendel while the other warriors sleep in the hall?
3. Who does Beowulf's guide tell him will meet them at Heorot?
4. According to Beowulf, what did he and Breca giddily plunge into the water to do?
5. How does Grendel enter the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item lights Beowulf's way as he dives through the Grendel lake?
2. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
3. Why does the dragon wake up?
4. What do Beowulf and his men see when they reach the cliffs on their way to the lair?
5. Why does Beowulf ask for an iron shield rather than a wooden one before he battles the dragon?
6. What does Beowulf tell Hrothgar in an attempt to convince him to accept Beowulf's bid to slay Grendel?
7. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
8. What spoils does Grendel's mother take with her from Heorot?
9. How do Beowulf's men react when they see that Beowulf is faltering during his battle with the dragon?
10. Why is Wiglaf the only one of Beowulf's men to come to Beowulf's aid as he battles the dragon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Queen is mentioned only briefly in the story, yet her role is significant. What does the queen represent? Why is her role important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
There is some question as to whether or not Wiglaf will make a good king. What does this uncertainty say about the author's view of the stability of his changing world?
Essay Topic 3
Though the two do not get along, Beowulf wills his sword to Unferth before he goes into battle with Grendel's mother. Why does he do this? What does this act say about Beowulf?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)