|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does the minstrel play while Beowulf and his men are in the hall?
2. For how many years had Grendel plagued Hrothgar?
3. What does Hrothgar vow to treat Beowulf like after Grendel's defeat?
4. What does the Queen give Beowulf and his men to drink?
5. What color is the banner Hrothgar gives Beowulf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hope does Beowulf have for his future as Chapter 3 begins?
2. Rather than Beowulf being the one to call for help when he and Breca were in the ocean, what does Beowulf say actually happened?
3. As Beowulf lies dying, what thoughts give him comfort?
4. Why does Grendel retreat to his lair after battling with Beowulf?
5. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
6. How does Beowulf plan to show Unferth what courage is?
7. Why does Beowulf ask for an iron shield rather than a wooden one before he battles the dragon?
8. Why does the dragon wake up?
9. After Hrunting fails Beowulf, how do Beowulf and Grendel's mother fight?
10. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why isn't Hrothgar able to defeat Grendel without the aid of Beowulf? Formulate a theory and use examples from the book to support your theory.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between sympathy and empathy? Do you think Grendel's mother is a sympathetic or an empathetic character? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What does Heorot represent to the warriors? Why does it represent these things? How does it represent them?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)