Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Beowulf and his men march to Heorot, what glares from their helmets?
2. What does the Queen give Beowulf and his men to drink?
3. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
4. What attacked Beowulf while he was in the ocean with Breca?
5. What instrument does the minstrel play while Beowulf and his men are in the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Beowulf and his men learn of the attack of Grendel's mother on Heorot?
2. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
3. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
4. How does Beowulf kill the dragon?
5. Rather than Beowulf being the one to call for help when he and Breca were in the ocean, what does Beowulf say actually happened?
6. Why is Wiglaf the only one of Beowulf's men to come to Beowulf's aid as he battles the dragon?
7. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
8. What does the train on the Queen's dress look like?
9. Where does the watchman see the "glint of death" in Beowulf's party?
10. According to Hrothgar, what cannot harm Grendel?
There is some question as to whether or not Wiglaf will make a good king. What does this uncertainty say about the author's view of the stability of his changing world?
The Queen is mentioned only briefly in the story, yet her role is significant. What does the queen represent? Why is her role important to the story?
Why is Grendel's mother's lair so much like Heorot? What is the significant difference between the two?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)