|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grendel do with the men he takes from Heorot?
2. According to Beowulf, who was the first ashore in the swimming match with Breca?
3. Who do the Danes honor the one man in Beowulf's party who was killed by Grendel?
4. Who stays awake waiting for Grendel while the other warriors sleep in the hall?
5. How many men did Beowulf bring with him to Denmark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item lights Beowulf's way as he dives through the Grendel lake?
2. What does the dragon do in seeking his revenge?
3. What does Grendel look like?
4. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
5. What does Beowulf command Wiglaf to do with the treasure?
6. After Grendel's mother fails to kill Beowulf with a knife, how does Beowulf break free of her?
7. What hope does Beowulf have for his future as Chapter 3 begins?
8. Why does Beowulf ask for an iron shield rather than a wooden one before he battles the dragon?
9. What does Beowulf do while he's traveling to the dragon's den?
10. Once the Queen leaves Heorot, where do the Danes go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Grendel's mother's lair so much like Heorot? What is the significant difference between the two?
Essay Topic 2
Each of Beowulf's three foes fall along a scale ranging from completely monster to the most human-like. Place the foes in order of least human to most human and discuss the characteristics of each in terms of their animal and human characteristics.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining what an epic poem is and how this story fits into that definition. What characteristics of an epic does it have? Are there elements of an epic that are missing?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)