|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decorates the goblets the Queen uses to serve Beowulf and his men?
2. How does Grendel enter the hall?
3. Who did Hrothgar give golden rings and bracelets to?
4. What does Grendel hate the sound of?
5. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
Short Essay Questions
1. After Hygelac's death, what does Beowulf do for fifty years?
2. Why does Beowulf say he needs his mailcoat and shield to fight the dragon?
3. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
4. What do Beowulf's people do with the dragon's treasure and why?
5. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
6. Why does Beowulf nail Grendel's arm to the wall of Heorot?
7. Where is Grendel's mother's lair located?
8. When Beowulf and Hrothgar are saying their goodbyes, what does Hrothgar pledge to Beowulf?
9. What does Beowulf do while he's traveling to the dragon's den?
10. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why isn't Hrothgar able to defeat Grendel without the aid of Beowulf? Formulate a theory and use examples from the book to support your theory.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think the journey of Beowulf's life changes him over time? Or, do you think his heroic deeds merely prepared him to be king one day?
Essay Topic 3
Though the two do not get along, Beowulf wills his sword to Unferth before he goes into battle with Grendel's mother. Why does he do this? What does this act say about Beowulf?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)