|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who leads Beowulf to the Grendel lake?
(a) A warrior who isn't named.
2. When Beowulf enters Heorot, what two things does he present to Hrothgar?
(a) Grendel's head and the remains of the giant sword.
(b) Jewels and gold.
(c) A knife and a goblet.
(d) Grendel's mother's head and her sword.
3. Where is Beowulf when Grendel's mother arrives at Heorot?
(a) Sitting by the fire.
(b) Sleeping in his room.
(c) In the stable with his new horses.
(d) With the King.
4. How does Beowulf kill Grendel's mother?
(a) He stabs her through the heart.
(b) He cuts off her head.
(c) He throws her to the sea serpents.
(d) He strangles her.
5. Before battling Grendel's mother, what does Beowulf ask the King to do if he should die?
(a) Build him a monument.
(b) Promise to tell stories of his heroism.
(c) Look after his men.
(d) Send his men back to their homeland.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does it take to carry Grendel's head?
2. Inside Grendel's mother's lair, what upholds the weight of the water?
3. As Beowulf prepares to leave Denmark, what does Hrothgar do "as if his heart would break?"
4. What does Grendel's mother use to try to kill Beowulf?
5. Where does Beowulf see a "tremendous sword" in the lair of Grendel's mother?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)