|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beowulf do with his "grisly trophy" of Grendel's defeat?
(a) Throws it in the fire.
(b) Throws it to the dogs.
(c) Cooks and eats it.
(d) Nails it to the wall.
2. What did Beowulf and his men cross on their way to Heorot?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) The Jordan River.
(c) The Red Sea.
(d) The Baltic Sea.
3. What wound does Beowulf inflict on Grendel?
(a) He rips Grendel's arm off.
(b) He cuts off Grendel's leg.
(c) He stabs Grendel through the heart with his sword.
(d) He chops Grendel's head off.
4. Who meets Beowulf and his men when they reach Denmark?
(a) The Queen.
(d) The watchman.
5. How does Grendel enter the hall?
(a) By sneaking quietly through the window.
(b) By ripping the door off.
(c) Through the roof.
(d) By quietly opening the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their swimming competition, what separated Beowulf and Breca?
2. Who stays awake waiting for Grendel while the other warriors sleep in the hall?
3. Who does Beowulf's guide tell him will meet them at Heorot?
4. As Beowulf and his men march to Heorot, what glares from their helmets?
5. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Beowulf strikes the dragon with his sword?
2. How does Beowulf describe Hrothgar when he greets the King?
3. How do Beowulf's men react when they see that Beowulf is faltering during his battle with the dragon?
4. Where was the "tremendous sword" forged and who forged it?
5. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
6. After Hrunting fails Beowulf, how do Beowulf and Grendel's mother fight?
7. What kind of wound does the dragon give Beowulf?
8. What does Beowulf tell Hrothgar in an attempt to convince him to accept Beowulf's bid to slay Grendel?
9. What does the dragon do in seeking his revenge?
10. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)