|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Hrothgar give golden rings and bracelets to?
(b) His wife.
(c) His followers.
(d) Grendel's mother.
2. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
(a) The Catholic Church.
3. What instruments are playing as the Queen enters the hall?
4. How many horses does Hrothgar give Beowulf and his men?
5. When does Hrothgar say he previously knew Beowulf?
(b) When Beowulf was a soldier in his army.
(c) When Beowulf was a child.
(d) When Beowulf was an apprentice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hrothgar vow to treat Beowulf like after Grendel's defeat?
2. Who do the Danes honor the one man in Beowulf's party who was killed by Grendel?
3. Who is Wulfgar?
4. What did Beowulf and his men cross on their way to Heorot?
5. How long does Unferth say Beowulf wallowed at sea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hope does Beowulf have for his future as Chapter 3 begins?
2. Why does Beowulf nail Grendel's arm to the wall of Heorot?
3. What kind of wound does the dragon give Beowulf?
4. When Beowulf and Hrothgar are saying their goodbyes, what does Hrothgar pledge to Beowulf?
5. What does Beowulf do while he's traveling to the dragon's den?
6. What does Wiglaf do to punish the cowardly men who did not help Beowulf to fight the dragon?
7. How do Beowulf's men react when they see that Beowulf is faltering during his battle with the dragon?
8. Where is Grendel's mother's lair located?
9. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
10. Why does the dragon wake up?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)