|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of man is Unferth described as being?
2. When Beowulf and his men reach Heorot, what are they heavy with?
(c) Gifts for the King.
(d) Too much food.
3. What color is the banner Hrothgar gives Beowulf?
4. What are Hrothgar and his warriors doing when Grendel first enters Heorot?
5. During their swimming competition, what separated Beowulf and Breca?
(a) A north-easter storm.
(b) A ship.
(c) The whales.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hrothgar vow to treat Beowulf like after Grendel's defeat?
2. What wound does Beowulf inflict on Grendel?
3. After Beowulf tells the story of himself and Breca, what does he call Unferth?
4. What are Grendel's arms described as being like?
5. What does the Queen give Beowulf and his men to drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beowulf kill the dragon?
2. How do Beowulf's men react when they see that Beowulf is faltering during his battle with the dragon?
3. Where is Grendel's mother's lair located?
4. Why are Hrothgar and his men surprised when Beowulf returns to Heorot with Grendel's head?
5. Why does Grendel retreat to his lair after battling with Beowulf?
6. Why does the dragon wake up?
7. As Beowulf lies dying, what thoughts give him comfort?
8. Why does Beowulf say he needs his mailcoat and shield to fight the dragon?
9. After Hygelac's death, what does Beowulf do for fifty years?
10. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)