|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Hrothgar say he previously knew Beowulf?
(a) When Beowulf was a soldier in his army.
(b) When Beowulf was an apprentice.
(c) When Beowulf was a child.
2. How many men did Beowulf bring with him to Denmark?
3. Who is Wulfgar?
(a) Beowulf's kinsman.
(b) The King's herald.
(c) Grendel's son.
(d) Hrothgar's son.
4. What are Grendel's arms described as being like?
(a) A mighty king's.
(b) Tree trunks.
(c) A hairy gorilla's.
(d) Bands of steel.
5. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
(a) The Catholic Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man is Unferth described as being?
2. Where does Beowulf say he and his men are from?
3. How many horses does Hrothgar give Beowulf and his men?
4. What does Beowulf do with his "grisly trophy" of Grendel's defeat?
5. What does Beowulf say his spears are made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item lights Beowulf's way as he dives through the Grendel lake?
2. What does Grendel look like?
3. How does Beowulf plan to show Unferth what courage is?
4. How does Beowulf describe Hrothgar when he greets the King?
5. What do the people in the story call the Baltic Sea?
6. Why does Grendel attack Heorot at night?
7. Why does Grendel attack Heorot?
8. Why does Beowulf say he snaps his fingers in the face of death?
9. What do Beowulf and his men see when they reach the cliffs on their way to the lair?
10. Who does the dragon live in a burial mound?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)