|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stays at the lake after the Danes leave?
(b) Beowulf's comrades.
2. How far is Grendel's mother's lair from the windy cliffs?
(a) A mile.
(b) A week's journey.
(c) Fifty yards.
(d) Three miles.
3. When Beowulf reaches the bank of the lake, what does he do?
(a) Places Grendel's head on a spear.
(b) Places Grendel's mother's head on a spear.
(c) Kisses the ground.
(d) Falls to the ground in exhaustion.
4. Who promises to come with "a thousand spears and a thousand shields" if the other should be attacked?
(a) Wiglaf makes this promise to Beowulf.
(b) Beowulf makes this promise to Hrothgar.
(c) Beowulf makes this promise to Wiglaf.
(d) Hrothgar makes this promise to Beowulf.
5. Where does Beowulf see a "tremendous sword" in the lair of Grendel's mother?
(a) On a table.
(b) At her side.
(c) On the wall.
(d) In the armory.
6. When Beowulf enters Heorot, what two things does he present to Hrothgar?
(a) Grendel's mother's head and her sword.
(b) A knife and a goblet.
(c) Jewels and gold.
(d) Grendel's head and the remains of the giant sword.
7. How does Beowulf kill Grendel's mother?
(a) He cuts off her head.
(b) He throws her to the sea serpents.
(c) He stabs her through the heart.
(d) He strangles her.
8. What happens to the blade of the tremendous sword found in the lair?
(a) It cracks.
(b) It melts.
(c) It shatters.
9. At what point does Beowulf decide to enter the lake to search for Grendel's mother?
(a) He does not enter the lake.
(b) When Grendel's mother calls out to him.
(c) Immediately upon arrival.
(d) After blowing his horn for the second time.
10. Who does Grendel's mother kill during the night?
(b) The Queen.
11. Inside Grendel's mother's lair, what upholds the weight of the water?
(a) Huge serpents.
(b) Stone walls.
(d) Stout rafters.
12. How does Hrothgar kill the first monster at the Grendel lake?
(a) With an arrow.
(b) With a rock.
(c) With his sword.
(d) With his bare hands.
13. What does Beowulf do when he sees Grendel's body in the lair?
(a) Leaves the body untouched.
(b) Burns the body.
(c) Cuts off Grendel's head.
14. How many men does it take to carry Grendel's head?
15. What is the Grendel lake lined with?
(a) Tall grasses.
(d) Fierce dragons.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Grendel's blood turns the lake red, what do Hrothgar and his men assume?
2. Where is Beowulf when Grendel's mother arrives at Heorot?
3. Who forged the tremendous sword that is in Grendel's mother's lair?
4. What saves Beowulf's life from Grendel's mother's near-fatal attack?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 2, who is brooding with grief and greedy for revenge?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)