|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Hrothgar make to Beowulf after Grendel's mother is defeated?
(a) He promises friendship and trade with Beowulf's people.
(b) He promises to leave the throne to Beowulf.
(c) He promises his daughter to Beowulf as his wife.
(d) He promises him a great treasure.
2. Where does Beowulf see a "tremendous sword" in the lair of Grendel's mother?
(a) At her side.
(b) In the armory.
(c) On the wall.
(d) On a table.
3. Who stays at the lake after the Danes leave?
(d) Beowulf's comrades.
4. When Beowulf blows his horn, what rises up out of the Grendel lake?
(c) Sea devils.
(d) Grendel's mother.
5. Who promises to come with "a thousand spears and a thousand shields" if the other should be attacked?
(a) Wiglaf makes this promise to Beowulf.
(b) Hrothgar makes this promise to Beowulf.
(c) Beowulf makes this promise to Wiglaf.
(d) Beowulf makes this promise to Hrothgar.
6. When Beowulf enters Heorot, what two things does he present to Hrothgar?
(a) Grendel's head and the remains of the giant sword.
(b) Grendel's mother's head and her sword.
(c) Jewels and gold.
(d) A knife and a goblet.
7. Who is to receive Beowulf's treasure if he dies?
8. As Beowulf prepares to leave Denmark, what does Hrothgar do "as if his heart would break?"
(a) Watches the ships sail away.
(d) Helps Beowulf load his possessions.
9. What happens to the blade of the tremendous sword found in the lair?
(b) It shatters.
(c) It melts.
(d) It cracks.
10. Before battling Grendel's mother, what does Beowulf ask the King to do if he should die?
(a) Look after his men.
(b) Promise to tell stories of his heroism.
(c) Send his men back to their homeland.
(d) Build him a monument.
11. When Beowulf reaches the bank of the lake, what does he do?
(a) Places Grendel's head on a spear.
(b) Falls to the ground in exhaustion.
(c) Kisses the ground.
(d) Places Grendel's mother's head on a spear.
12. Who forged the tremendous sword that is in Grendel's mother's lair?
(a) Grendel's mother.
(c) Giants of olden time.
13. At what point does Beowulf decide to enter the lake to search for Grendel's mother?
(a) Immediately upon arrival.
(b) After blowing his horn for the second time.
(c) He does not enter the lake.
(d) When Grendel's mother calls out to him.
14. What does Grendel's mother take off the wall in the hall?
(a) Grendel's arm.
(b) An axe.
(c) A sword.
15. Who leads Beowulf to the Grendel lake?
(b) A warrior who isn't named.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beowulf will his sword to in case of his death?
2. How many men does it take to carry Grendel's head?
3. What saves Beowulf's life from Grendel's mother's near-fatal attack?
4. After Beowulf's sword fails to kill Grendel's mother, what does he use to try to fight her?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 2, who is brooding with grief and greedy for revenge?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)