|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 2, who is brooding with grief and greedy for revenge?
(b) Grendel's mother.
2. How does Hrothgar kill the first monster at the Grendel lake?
(a) With his sword.
(b) With a rock.
(c) With an arrow.
(d) With his bare hands.
3. What is the Grendel lake lined with?
(a) Tall grasses.
(b) Fierce dragons.
4. How many men does it take to carry Grendel's head?
5. What does Grendel's mother use to try to kill Beowulf?
(a) Her hands.
(b) An axe.
(c) A knife.
(d) Beowulf's sword.
6. What kind of boat to Beowulf and his men sail away from Denmark in?
(a) A swan boat.
(b) A tern boat.
(c) A pirate ship.
(d) A canoe with many oars.
7. How does Beowulf kill Grendel's mother?
(a) He cuts off her head.
(b) He stabs her through the heart.
(c) He strangles her.
(d) He throws her to the sea serpents.
8. As Beowulf prepares to leave Denmark, what does Hrothgar do "as if his heart would break?"
(b) Watches the ships sail away.
(d) Helps Beowulf load his possessions.
9. Who does Beowulf will his sword to in case of his death?
(a) His warriors.
10. How does Hrothgar describe the Grendel lake?
(a) Falsely beautiful.
(b) Weird and evil.
(c) Ominous and dark.
11. Where is Beowulf when Grendel's mother arrives at Heorot?
(a) Sleeping in his room.
(b) In the stable with his new horses.
(c) Sitting by the fire.
(d) With the King.
12. Who promises to come with "a thousand spears and a thousand shields" if the other should be attacked?
(a) Hrothgar makes this promise to Beowulf.
(b) Beowulf makes this promise to Hrothgar.
(c) Wiglaf makes this promise to Beowulf.
(d) Beowulf makes this promise to Wiglaf.
13. When Beowulf enters Heorot, what two things does he present to Hrothgar?
(a) A knife and a goblet.
(b) Jewels and gold.
(c) Grendel's mother's head and her sword.
(d) Grendel's head and the remains of the giant sword.
14. What does Beowulf do when he sees Grendel's body in the lair?
(b) Leaves the body untouched.
(c) Burns the body.
(d) Cuts off Grendel's head.
15. When Grendel's blood turns the lake red, what do Hrothgar and his men assume?
(a) Beowulf has defeated the monster.
(b) The lake has grown fiery hot.
(c) All of the serpents have died.
(d) Beowulf is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Beowulf to the Grendel lake?
2. After Beowulf's sword fails to kill Grendel's mother, what does he use to try to fight her?
3. What promise does Hrothgar make to Beowulf after Grendel's mother is defeated?
4. Who forged the tremendous sword that is in Grendel's mother's lair?
5. When Beowulf reaches the bank of the lake, what does he do?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)