|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hrunting?
(a) Hrothgar's hall.
(b) Grendel's mother's hall.
(c) A shield.
(d) Beowulf's sword.
2. Who promises to come with "a thousand spears and a thousand shields" if the other should be attacked?
(a) Beowulf makes this promise to Wiglaf.
(b) Wiglaf makes this promise to Beowulf.
(c) Hrothgar makes this promise to Beowulf.
(d) Beowulf makes this promise to Hrothgar.
3. Who forged the tremendous sword that is in Grendel's mother's lair?
(c) Grendel's mother.
(d) Giants of olden time.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 2, who is brooding with grief and greedy for revenge?
(b) Grendel's mother.
5. Before battling Grendel's mother, what does Beowulf ask the King to do if he should die?
(a) Build him a monument.
(b) Send his men back to their homeland.
(c) Promise to tell stories of his heroism.
(d) Look after his men.
6. At what point does Beowulf decide to enter the lake to search for Grendel's mother?
(a) He does not enter the lake.
(b) Immediately upon arrival.
(c) After blowing his horn for the second time.
(d) When Grendel's mother calls out to him.
7. What does Grendel's mother take off the wall in the hall?
(a) An axe.
(b) A sword.
(d) Grendel's arm.
8. Where does Beowulf see a "tremendous sword" in the lair of Grendel's mother?
(a) On a table.
(b) On the wall.
(c) In the armory.
(d) At her side.
9. What saves Beowulf's life from Grendel's mother's near-fatal attack?
(a) His warriors.
(c) His mailcoat.
(d) A shield.
10. How does Beowulf kill Grendel's mother?
(a) He strangles her.
(b) He throws her to the sea serpents.
(c) He stabs her through the heart.
(d) He cuts off her head.
11. Who leads Beowulf to the Grendel lake?
(b) A warrior who isn't named.
12. How many men does it take to carry Grendel's head?
13. As Beowulf prepares to leave Denmark, what does Hrothgar do "as if his heart would break?"
(c) Watches the ships sail away.
(d) Helps Beowulf load his possessions.
14. Who stays at the lake after the Danes leave?
(c) Beowulf's comrades.
15. What happens to the blade of the tremendous sword found in the lair?
(a) It cracks.
(c) It shatters.
(d) It melts.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Beowulf's sword fails to kill Grendel's mother, what does he use to try to fight her?
2. How does Hrothgar kill the first monster at the Grendel lake?
3. Who does Beowulf will his sword to in case of his death?
4. What is the Grendel lake lined with?
5. Where is Beowulf when Grendel's mother arrives at Heorot?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)