|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grendel do with the men he takes from Heorot?
(a) Feeds them to the sea serpents.
(b) Uses them as slaves.
(c) Throws them off a cliff.
(d) Takes them home for meat.
2. What are Hrothgar and his warriors doing when Grendel first enters Heorot?
3. Who stays awake waiting for Grendel while the other warriors sleep in the hall?
(a) Grendel's mother.
4. Who is Wulfgar?
(a) Hrothgar's son.
(b) The King's herald.
(c) Grendel's son.
(d) Beowulf's kinsman.
5. What did Beowulf and his men cross on their way to Heorot?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) The Baltic Sea.
(c) The Jordan River.
(d) The Red Sea.
6. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
(d) The Catholic Church.
7. What does Beowulf do with his "grisly trophy" of Grendel's defeat?
(a) Throws it to the dogs.
(b) Cooks and eats it.
(c) Throws it in the fire.
(d) Nails it to the wall.
8. Who did Hrothgar give golden rings and bracelets to?
(a) Grendel's mother.
(b) His wife.
(d) His followers.
9. What does Beowulf call Unferth's claims against him?
(a) Utter lies.
(b) A drunkard's tale.
(d) A fool's tongue wagging.
10. What does Grendel hate the sound of?
(a) Men's voices.
(c) The harp.
(d) A warrior's battle cry.
11. Where does Beowulf say he and his men are from?
12. What is the name of Hrothgar's queen?
13. How many serpents did Beowulf slay in his story of the swimming competition between he and Breca's?
14. Who does Unferth claim Beowulf lost a swimming match to?
15. What are Grendel's arms described as being like?
(a) A mighty king's.
(b) Bands of steel.
(c) A hairy gorilla's.
(d) Tree trunks.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their swimming competition, what separated Beowulf and Breca?
2. What does Beowulf say his spears are made of?
3. What attacked Beowulf while he was in the ocean with Breca?
4. According to Beowulf, what did he and Breca giddily plunge into the water to do?
5. Who do the Danes honor the one man in Beowulf's party who was killed by Grendel?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)