|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beowulf and his men cross on their way to Heorot?
(a) The Red Sea.
(b) The Jordan River.
(c) The Baltic Sea.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
2. How tall is Grendel?
(a) 7 feet tall.
(b) 9 feet tall.
(c) 20 feet tall.
(d) 12 feet tall.
3. What instruments are playing as the Queen enters the hall?
4. When Beowulf and his men reach Heorot, what are they heavy with?
(b) Gifts for the King.
(c) Too much food.
5. Who is Wulfgar?
(a) Beowulf's kinsman.
(b) Hrothgar's son.
(c) Grendel's son.
(d) The King's herald.
6. After Beowulf tells the story of himself and Breca, what does he call Unferth?
(a) An idiot.
(b) A truthful storyteller.
(c) A brave man.
(d) A coward.
7. What instrument does the minstrel play while Beowulf and his men are in the hall?
(a) The piano.
(b) The harp.
(c) The violin.
(d) The flute.
8. How does Grendel enter the hall?
(a) By quietly opening the door.
(b) Through the roof.
(c) By ripping the door off.
(d) By sneaking quietly through the window.
9. What are Grendel's arms described as being like?
(a) A hairy gorilla's.
(b) Tree trunks.
(c) Bands of steel.
(d) A mighty king's.
10. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
(a) Golden embroidery.
(b) Tapestries depicting the battle.
(c) Pictures of Beowulf.
(d) Dragon scales.
11. What does Grendel hate the sound of?
(a) Men's voices.
(b) A warrior's battle cry.
(d) The harp.
12. During their swimming competition, what separated Beowulf and Breca?
(b) The whales.
(c) A ship.
(d) A north-easter storm.
13. What does Beowulf say his spears are made of?
14. As Beowulf and his men march to Heorot, what glares from their helmets?
(a) A lion's head.
(b) A wolf's head.
(c) A boar's head.
(d) A stag's head.
15. What kind of man is Unferth described as being?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Beowulf, in the story of his swimming competition with Breca, who cried out for help?
2. What does Hrothgar give Beowulf that is so tough no steel can cleave it?
3. Who did Hrothgar give golden rings and bracelets to?
4. What decorates the goblets the Queen uses to serve Beowulf and his men?
5. For how many years had Grendel plagued Hrothgar?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)