|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hrothgar give Beowulf that is so tough no steel can cleave it?
(a) A plated helmet.
(b) A suit of armor.
(c) A shield.
(d) Shin guards.
2. For how many years had Grendel plagued Hrothgar?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 9 years.
3. What does Grendel do with the men he takes from Heorot?
(a) Throws them off a cliff.
(b) Feeds them to the sea serpents.
(c) Takes them home for meat.
(d) Uses them as slaves.
4. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
(a) The Catholic Church.
5. Who is Hrothgar?
(a) The monster.
(b) Beowulf's brother.
(c) The King of the Geats.
(d) The King of the Danes.
6. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
(a) Golden embroidery.
(b) Pictures of Beowulf.
(c) Dragon scales.
(d) Tapestries depicting the battle.
7. According to Beowulf, what did he and Breca giddily plunge into the water to do?
(a) Impress the maidens.
(b) Battle monster whales.
(c) Swim to the far shore.
(d) Cool off.
8. During their swimming competition, what separated Beowulf and Breca?
(a) A north-easter storm.
(b) A ship.
(d) The whales.
9. Who does Beowulf's guide tell him will meet them at Heorot?
10. After Beowulf tells the story of himself and Breca, what does he call Unferth?
(a) A truthful storyteller.
(b) A brave man.
(c) A coward.
(d) An idiot.
11. What instruments are playing as the Queen enters the hall?
12. What instrument does the minstrel play while Beowulf and his men are in the hall?
(a) The flute.
(b) The harp.
(c) The piano.
(d) The violin.
13. What does Beowulf call Unferth's claims against him?
(a) Utter lies.
(b) A fool's tongue wagging.
(d) A drunkard's tale.
14. Who is Wulfgar?
(a) Beowulf's kinsman.
(b) Hrothgar's son.
(c) Grendel's son.
(d) The King's herald.
15. According to Beowulf, in the story of his swimming competition with Breca, who cried out for help?
(b) The whales.
(d) A sailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beowulf say his spears are made of?
2. Who did Hrothgar give golden rings and bracelets to?
3. How many horses does Hrothgar give Beowulf and his men?
4. How many men did Beowulf bring with him to Denmark?
5. What color is the banner Hrothgar gives Beowulf?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)