|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many serpents did Beowulf slay in his story of the swimming competition between he and Breca's?
2. According to Beowulf, who was the first ashore in the swimming match with Breca?
(c) A whale.
(d) It was a tie.
3. What does the Queen give Beowulf and his men to drink?
4. Who did Hrothgar give golden rings and bracelets to?
(b) His wife.
(c) His followers.
(d) Grendel's mother.
5. Who stays awake waiting for Grendel while the other warriors sleep in the hall?
(a) Grendel's mother.
6. Who does Beowulf's guide tell him will meet them at Heorot?
7. What does Beowulf do with his "grisly trophy" of Grendel's defeat?
(a) Throws it to the dogs.
(b) Nails it to the wall.
(c) Throws it in the fire.
(d) Cooks and eats it.
8. What does Grendel hate the sound of?
(a) A warrior's battle cry.
(c) The harp.
(d) Men's voices.
9. What are Hrothgar and his warriors doing when Grendel first enters Heorot?
10. According to Beowulf, in the story of his swimming competition with Breca, who cried out for help?
(a) A sailor.
(b) The whales.
11. What kind of man is Unferth described as being?
12. During their swimming competition, what separated Beowulf and Breca?
(a) A north-easter storm.
(c) A ship.
(d) The whales.
13. What instruments are playing as the Queen enters the hall?
14. What does Beowulf say his spears are made of?
15. How tall is Grendel?
(a) 12 feet tall.
(b) 7 feet tall.
(c) 20 feet tall.
(d) 9 feet tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many horses does Hrothgar give Beowulf and his men?
2. When Beowulf and his men reach Heorot, what are they heavy with?
3. As Beowulf and his men march to Heorot, what glares from their helmets?
4. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
5. What did Beowulf and his men cross on their way to Heorot?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)