|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wound does Beowulf inflict on Grendel?
(a) He cuts off Grendel's leg.
(b) He stabs Grendel through the heart with his sword.
(c) He chops Grendel's head off.
(d) He rips Grendel's arm off.
2. Who is Wulfgar?
(a) Grendel's son.
(b) The King's herald.
(c) Hrothgar's son.
(d) Beowulf's kinsman.
3. What does Grendel hate the sound of?
(a) The harp.
(b) Men's voices.
(c) A warrior's battle cry.
4. During their swimming competition, what separated Beowulf and Breca?
(a) A ship.
(b) The whales.
(d) A north-easter storm.
5. How long does Unferth say Beowulf wallowed at sea?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 7 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What towered "high to reach heaven" and "strong to withstand the buffet of war?"
2. What instruments are playing as the Queen enters the hall?
3. What does Grendel do with the men he takes from Heorot?
4. After Grendel's defeat, what do the Danes decorate the hall with?
5. According to Beowulf, in the story of his swimming competition with Breca, who cried out for help?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)