|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grendel hate the sound of?
(a) Men's voices.
(c) The harp.
(d) A warrior's battle cry.
2. What are Hrothgar and his warriors doing when Grendel first enters Heorot?
3. After Beowulf tells the story of himself and Breca, what does he call Unferth?
(a) An idiot.
(b) A brave man.
(c) A coward.
(d) A truthful storyteller.
4. What does Beowulf say his spears are made of?
5. During their swimming competition, what separated Beowulf and Breca?
(b) A north-easter storm.
(c) A ship.
(d) The whales.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Beowulf, in the story of his swimming competition with Breca, who cried out for help?
2. What decorates the goblets the Queen uses to serve Beowulf and his men?
3. What instrument does the minstrel play while Beowulf and his men are in the hall?
4. What does the Queen give Beowulf and his men to drink?
5. What did Beowulf and his men cross on their way to Heorot?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)