|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Grendel's blood turns the lake red, what do Hrothgar and his men assume?
(a) All of the serpents have died.
(b) Beowulf has defeated the monster.
(c) Beowulf is dead.
(d) The lake has grown fiery hot.
2. How many men does it take to carry Grendel's head?
3. Who promises to come with "a thousand spears and a thousand shields" if the other should be attacked?
(a) Beowulf makes this promise to Wiglaf.
(b) Beowulf makes this promise to Hrothgar.
(c) Wiglaf makes this promise to Beowulf.
(d) Hrothgar makes this promise to Beowulf.
4. How does Beowulf kill Grendel's mother?
(a) He strangles her.
(b) He throws her to the sea serpents.
(c) He cuts off her head.
(d) He stabs her through the heart.
5. According to Beowulf, what did he and Breca giddily plunge into the water to do?
(a) Impress the maidens.
(b) Battle monster whales.
(c) Cool off.
(d) Swim to the far shore.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall is Grendel?
2. According to Beowulf, in the story of his swimming competition with Breca, who cried out for help?
3. What does Grendel's mother use to try to kill Beowulf?
4. How many men did Beowulf bring with him to Denmark?
5. How does Hrothgar describe the Grendel lake?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)