|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the daughter of Benjamin Franklin's landlady while he was in London?
2. What manifesto did Benjamin Franklin write on his way to London?
3. When did the Assembly vote to send Benjamin Franklin back to England?
4. What does Walter Isaacson say Benjamin Franklin easily made?
5. What traveling preacher was Benjamin Franklin partial to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the colony's safety depend on?
2. What was James' the first to fight for?
3. What did the Assembly vote to do, at the end of "Chapter Nine?"
4. What did the Library Company of Philadelphia allowed Franklin to do, according to "Chapter Five"?
5. What cut into Franklin's income at the end of 1766?
6. To what did Franklin hope to be assigned, in "Chapter Nine"?
7. Who was George Whitefield, and what did Franklin admire about him?
8. What was Franklin invited to join in December 1730?
9. What were the Paxton Boys?
10. What atmosphere did Franklin recreate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Franklin's beliefs typified the Age of Enlightenment and conclude why his ideas were excluded from the canon of philosophy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Franklin's relationship with women, such as Deborah Read, Madame Helvetius, and others.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss who Thomas Jefferson was, the significance of the Declaration of Independence and Franklin's role in its creation.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)