|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, how many weeks after Pino's parents order him to enlist with the Germans, does Pino find himself a member of the organization Todt?
2. In Chapter 8, who does Father Re say that Barbareschi helped to escape before Pino came from Milan?
3. In Chapter 5, what color uniforms are men who seem to be prisoners doing forced labor wearing?
4. What is the name of the Nazi officer coming to Casa Alpina in Chapter 12?
5. In Chapter 10, who will be going with Mrs. Napolitano when Pimo leads her to Switzerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luigi describe his store in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Pino's father send for him in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 7, how does Pino remember making his ascent the first time?
4. In Chapter 6, what does Pino wear to go hiking?
5. What does Mrs. Napolitano do for Pino when he and Mimo leave her and the others in Switzerland?
6. What happens to Mimo when he is crossing the catwalk in Chapter 10?
7. In Chapter 14, how and where is Pino injured?
8. What happens to Nicco and his friends in Chapter 9?
9. Where does Pino see a woman he is attracted to in Chapter 1, and what does he ask her?
10. How does Pino become General Leyers driver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pino is spying on General Leyers when he drives him around. What challenges does Pino face as a spy? What are the difficulties and challenges of working undercover, and how is Pino affected by working undercover?
Essay Topic 2
Pino explodes when he hears his family playing music and having a party when he returns home after a bombing at the movie theater. What has Pino experienced at the movie theater? How has that affected him? Why does he get so angry when he returns home? What is revealed about survival through the incident?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Pino mature and come of age in the story? Is this a coming-of-age story?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)