|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, how many Jews were thrown into Lake Maggiore and then machine-gunned to death?
2. In Chapter 15, who does Pino learn that the gray men are?
3. What can be smelled in Chapter 2, when Pino and Mimo get to their family's flat?
4. When Pino sees Anna again in Chapter 15, how long has it been since he first met her?
5. In Chapter 8, what is Luigi's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nicco and his friends in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 1, what is being done at the Duomo, the Basilica di Santa Maria Nascente, the Gothic cathedral in the center of Milan and why?
3. In Chapter 6, what does Pino wear to go hiking?
4. Who is Alberto Ascari, and what do he and Pino decide to do?
5. What happens when Tito comes to Casa Alpina in Chapter 12?
6. What does Mrs. Napolitano do for Pino when he and Mimo leave her and the others in Switzerland?
7. What is Mussolini's position by June of 1943?`
8. In Chapter 2, what excuse does Pino give his mother for being late?
9. Why does Pino's father send for him in Chapter 13?
10. In Chapter 10, what does Pino find at the shepherd's hut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pino first meets Anna at a bakery. How do Pino and Anna begin to have a relationship? How would you describe the relationship between Anna and Pino at first and how and why it changes?
Essay Topic 2
Mark Sullivan learned about Pino Lella at a dinner party. Why did Sullivan want to write the story? How did the story save Sullivan’s life?
Essay Topic 3
Pino pushes himself to complete intense physical tasks like climbing mountains. What motives him to complete such difficult physical tasks?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)