|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color stallion does Aurangzeb ride, in Chapter 16?
2. Where do Dara, Aurangzeb, and Jahanara meet their father after the riots between Muslims and Hindus.
3. What analogy does Jahanara use to describe the inevitability of seeing Aurangzeb when she returns to Agra?
4. What color does Jahanara dye her hair when she returns to Agra?
5. What does Jahanara say was the second thing to happen after she saved Aurangzeb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Nizam assigned to serve in Aurangzeb's army, and how he is outfitted?
2. How does Nizam say Jahanara has repaid him?
3. Why does Jahanara feel as if Allah has abandoned her?
4. How does Isa reassure Jahanara that the neighbors will not hear the baby cry?
5. What does Jahanara say about the years following her daughter's birth?
6. Why doesn't Jahanara envy her granddaughters for their youth?
7. What does Shah Jahan want Jahanara to promise him before he dies?
8. What does Shah Jahan tell Aurangzeb about enemies?
9. How does Jahanara disguise herself when she returns to Jahanara?
10. Why, in Chapter 16, does Dara say that winning matters little?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jahanara uses veiled language to ask her father what she should do about her love for Isa. Discuss what Shah Jahan thinks about the love between Jahanara and Isa.
Essay Topic 2
Jahanara's father assigns her to assist the architect with the building of the mausoleum. Discuss Jahanara's duties as she assists with the building of the mausoleum and the value of her contributions to the project.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 3 is titled "Lost Childhood." Discuss why and how Jahanara grows up quickly.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)