|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jaha's father when he first met her mother?
2. A merchant is sentenced to death for using false scales. How old is his son?
3. What does Mumtaz Mahal mean?
4. What color does Jaha wear when she is being rowed down the Yamuna River?
5. What is the ceiling covered with in the Hall of Public Audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jahanara describe herself at the beginning of the Narration in Part 2?
2. Why does Jaha say the Emperor is cruel?
3. How did Jaha's father meet her mother?
4. Describe the poem Jahanara's father wrote and where it was inscribed.
5. What responsibilities do Jahanara's brothers have, in Chapter 7?
6. What does Jaha see as her boat is rowed across the Yamuna?
7. Because of Arjumand's influence, what happens instead of war in the Empire?
8. What are the Karkhanas?
9. What happens during a qamargah?
10. How does Isa mimic Paradise in his building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 3 is titled "Lost Childhood." Discuss why and how Jahanara grows up quickly.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ladli sacrifices much to help Jahanara. Discuss how Ladli is able to help Jahanara and the sacrifices Ladli makes to do so.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Jahanara feels imprisonment is a curse and how she and her father deal with the curse of imprisonment.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)