|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Isa when he came to Delhi?
2. In Chapter 10, how long has Ladli been intimate with Aurangzeb?
3. What is on Jaha's right as she is rowed down the Yamuna River?
4. What is the name of the architect Shah Jahan hires?
5. What does Jaha say she cherishes as much as the sights along the Yamuna River?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Isa mimic Paradise in his building?
2. How does Jahanara describe the skills of the architect hired to build the monument for Arjumand?
3. Who is Khondamir and why is he chosen to marry Jahanara?
4. What reason does Shah Jahan give Jahanara for sending her east, and what is the actual reason he sends her to the east?
5. What enemies does the Empire have in the days after Arjumand's death?
6. How does Jahanara describe herself at the beginning of the Narration in Part 2?
7. Why did Jaha's daughter and husband bring her granddaughters to Agra?
8. Why does Shah Jahan have to wear spectacles for the rest of his life?
9. What languages does Jahanara speak?
10. Why does Jahanara try to warn Dara, at the end of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jahanara uses veiled language to ask her father what she should do about her love for Isa. Discuss what Shah Jahan thinks about the love between Jahanara and Isa.
Essay Topic 2
Various characters have theories for why Aurangzeb is so cruel. Discuss why Aurangzeb is so cruel and what has made him that way.
Essay Topic 3
Jahanara chooses duty rather than escape the Empire with Isa and her daughter. Discuss duty and how duty is viewed in the novel.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)