|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the predominant color in Agra?
2. What nickname does Isa call Jahanara?
3. What did Jaha's father believe in when she was still an innocent young girl?
4. What does Jahanara eat for breakfast the day she is wed?
5. Who rows Jaha down the Yamuna River, in Part I, Narration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jahanara ask Ladli to tell Aurangzeb that Jahanara has stolen a ring from Khondamir?
2. What wares do artisans sell at Chandi Chowk?
3. In Chapter 6, how does Isa describe the mausoleum to Jahanara?
4. How does Jahanara describe the skills of the architect hired to build the monument for Arjumand?
5. How does Aurangzeb plan to kill Dara?
6. Who is allowed into the harem at Red Fort?
7. What happens during a qamargah?
8. Because of Arjumand's influence, what happens instead of war in the Empire?
9. Who is Khondamir and why is he chosen to marry Jahanara?
10. What languages does Jahanara speak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationships between Jahanara, her parents, and her siblings.
Essay Topic 2
Jahanara chooses duty rather than escape the Empire with Isa and her daughter. Discuss duty and how duty is viewed in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Ladli sacrifices much to help Jahanara. Discuss how Ladli is able to help Jahanara and the sacrifices Ladli makes to do so.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)