|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jahanara eating, at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. How old is the boy Jahanara tries to rescue at the river?
3. What color tunic does Aurangzeb wear when he goes with his siblings to play at the river?
4. What does Jahanara compare Isa to when she first meets him in her father's audience hall?
5. What is Ladli doing when Jahanara sees her for the first time after Jahanara's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What enemies does the Empire have in the days after Arjumand's death?
2. Who is allowed into the harem at Red Fort?
3. What reason does Shah Jahan give Jahanara for sending her east, and what is the actual reason he sends her to the east?
4. Describe the poem Jahanara's father wrote and where it was inscribed.
5. How are the Deccans causing trouble for the Empire?
6. What are the Karkhanas?
7. What happens during a qamargah?
8. Jahanara and Shah Jahan are blindfolded and led to the site of the Taj Mahal. What do they see when their blindfolds are removed?
9. In Chapter 6, how does Isa describe the mausoleum to Jahanara?
10. How does Aurangzeb plan to kill Dara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ladli sacrifices much to help Jahanara. Discuss how Ladli is able to help Jahanara and the sacrifices Ladli makes to do so.
Essay Topic 2
Jahanara chooses duty rather than escape the Empire with Isa and her daughter. Discuss duty and how duty is viewed in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The Emperor hears a case regarding a stolen bag of rice. Discuss the case and why the thief was not executed according to the law.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)