|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ladli compare Khondamir to?
2. What is Jahanara eating, at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What color tunics do Jahanara's brothers wear to her wedding?
4. How old was Isa when he came to Delhi?
5. What color does Jaha wear when she is being rowed down the Yamuna River?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Shah Jahan give Jahanara for sending her east, and what is the actual reason he sends her to the east?
2. Why does Jahanara ask Ladli to tell Aurangzeb that Jahanara has stolen a ring from Khondamir?
3. Describe the dry season in Agra?
4. Why did Jaha's daughter and husband bring her granddaughters to Agra?
5. Why does Jahanara have to be careful to see Isa only at the site?
6. How does Isa mimic Paradise in his building?
7. How does Aurangzeb plan to kill Dara?
8. What enemies does the Empire have in the days after Arjumand's death?
9. Why does Jahanara try to warn Dara, at the end of Chapter 3?
10. Why does Jaha say the Emperor is cruel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jahanara chooses duty rather than escape the Empire with Isa and her daughter. Discuss duty and how duty is viewed in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Jahanara uses veiled language to ask her father what she should do about her love for Isa. Discuss what Shah Jahan thinks about the love between Jahanara and Isa.
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Jahanara has to make a choice whether to save Aurangzeb. Discuss the pros and cons Jahanara weighed before saving Aurangzeb's life.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)