Part 1, Narration
• A grandmother tells her granddaughters, Rurayya and Gulbudan, the story of her life.
• The grandmother's name is Jahanara, and she is the daughter of Shah Jahan and Arjumand and once was a princess in the imperial court.
• Her granddaughters do not believe her story or that they are the grandnieces of the hated Emperor Alamgir.
• Jahanara begins with a love story when the young prince Khurram, her father, first met his love Arjumand, Jahanara's mother.
Part I, Chapters 1-3
• In Chapter 1, Jahanara, her brothers, and sisters play in the luxurious harem at the Red Fort in Agra.
• Jahanara has a cricket in a jeweled cage that she plays with as she talks with her older brother Dara.
• When her younger brother Aurangzeb interrupts them and taunts Jahanara, their mother Arjumand notices their quarrel.
• She intervenes and takes the children to see their father, Mughal Emperor Shah...
This section contains 4,354 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)