|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to stay away from her enemies, Bhutto made _______ separate plans for every trip that she made.
2. Benazir was eventually moved to the Karachi Central jail and she survived by _______ constantly.
3. Benazir's sister married Nasser Hussein by her own free will. The _______ interrupted the ceremony several times.
4. Bhutto was the first woman to lead a Muslim nation and one of the youngest heads of state in the world at the age of ________.
5. The Brigadier General still in charge of Pakistan ________ and was praised by the American State Department.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1988 that caused General Zia to drop out of the race to be Prime Minister?
2. While Benazir was touring in Europe to promote the restoration of democracy a change happened in Pakistan, but Bhutto didn't trust Zia. What was the change?
3. Why did Benazir finally decide that the time was right to return to Pakistan in 1986?
4. Who were Benazir's two main rivals in how she was running the country?
5. Why did General Zia call for free elections in 1988? How did he hope to oust Benazir as competition?
6. What was the location of the PPP while Benazir was recovering from her surgery out of the country?
7. What were some of the strategies that were employed to help Pakistan's economic situation?
8. During a vacation to France Benazir was reunited with her brother Shah who then died shortly after. What were the circumstances of his death?
9. How was General Zia using Islam to his advantage?
10. Describe the family of Benazir's husband and what his talents and interests were.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would Benazir's story have changed had she not decided to get married? Given her political ambitions, why did she decide to marry in the first place? Why did Benazir keep her father's name?
Essay Topic 2
Ali Bhutto was blamed for crop damage that occurred in various parts of Pakistan. It seems unreasonable to believe him the cause of these events. Why would the people be able to believe such a thing? Why was it important for Benazir to address these people directly?
Essay Topic 3
If General Zia had not died unexpectedly would Benazir still have won the election? Why or why not? What issues would have been important in determining the election?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)