|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bhutto's child was named _______ which meant "one without equal".
2. _______ put pressure on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee until they received information on the actual conditions of the prisoners from Pakistan's foreign minister.
3. In response to Benazir's actions to organize Pakistanis, the Brigadier General killed some prisoners, causing Benazir to appeal to _____ the assistant secretary of state for human rights.
4. Benazir rented a small apartment in London that then became the headquarters for the ______.
5. Benazir's other brother ______ lived in the south of France but was not able to come visit her.
Short Essay Questions
1. During a vacation to France Benazir was reunited with her brother Shah who then died shortly after. What were the circumstances of his death?
2. What were two of the biggest social problems in Pakistan that Benazir had to face upon her election?
3. Why did Benazir finally decide that the time was right to return to Pakistan in 1986?
4. What were some of Benazir's main desires for Pakistan?
5. While Benazir was touring in Europe to promote the restoration of democracy a change happened in Pakistan, but Bhutto didn't trust Zia. What was the change?
6. Why did General Zia call for free elections in 1988? How did he hope to oust Benazir as competition?
7. Bhutto visited her mother in Geneva Switzerland. Besides her sister, what other family members did Benazir meet while she was there?
8. Why was Benazir's election to the post of Prime Minister exceptional?
9. What kind of marriage did Benazir end up having? Why did she choose this way?
10. Why was Nusrat eventually allowed to leave her captivity and go to Europe for treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would the story of imprisonment and illness be different if told from Nusrat's perspective? From Benazir's perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Benazir was put into jail as a political prisoner. In your country are there beliefs that could put you in jail if you proclaimed them loudly enough? Why or why not? Would you be willing to go to jail for the chance to express your beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
East Pakistan became a new country shortly after Ali Bhutto's trip to the UN to protest India's aggression. What is the name of the new country and what were the circumstances surrounding its creation?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)