|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bhutto's child was named _______ which meant "one without equal".
2. During a vacation to France, Benazir was reunited with her brother Shah and met his daughter _______.
3. Benazir rented a small apartment in London that then became the headquarters for the ______.
4. Zia also passed strict laws declaring ________ or Islamic law, the supreme law of the land.
5. Bhutto believed that the Pakistani people owed it to ______ to make the necessary changes in the country to bring about freedom.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the strategies that were employed to help Pakistan's economic situation?
2. Why was the United States providing money to Pakistan after Ronald Reagan was elected president?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Benazir was allowed to visit her mother who was ill. What illness was she thought to have had?
4. Why did General Zia call for free elections in 1988? How did he hope to oust Benazir as competition?
5. What action did General Zia take as an attempt to oust the PPP from taking part in the election?
6. What did Benazir promise to the people of Pakistan while at the Minar-I-Pakistan monument?
7. Why was Benazir's election to the post of Prime Minister exceptional?
8. How did Benazir plan to expose the brutal mistreatment of political prisoners in Pakistan?
9. What were some of Benazir's main desires for Pakistan?
10. Why did the Senate Foreign Relations Committee eventually learn the truth of Benazir's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book was written by Libby Hughes. How might the story have been different if it were written by Benazir herself?
Essay Topic 2
In 1965 Pakistan went to war with India but it only lasted a short time. What were the details surrounding the situation? How was Benazir's father involved?
Essay Topic 3
What challenges to her leadership did Bhutto face from the military? What were their concerns? Were any of their concerns justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)