|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although not a traditional Pakistani, Bhutto decided ________.
2. In order to combat the drug problem, Bhutto encouraged farmers of ______ to grow new crops.
3. Benazir spoke out to ________ and the Council on Foreign Relations when Zia continued the execution of political prisoners.
4. Benazir wished to continue to oppose Zia from her new location, but found that some Pakistanis were suspicious and she had a fear of _______.
5. At the end of May, 1988, Zia dissolved ________ and called for free elections in ninety days.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1988 that caused General Zia to drop out of the race to be Prime Minister?
2. How was General Zia using Islam to his advantage?
3. While Benazir was touring in Europe to promote the restoration of democracy a change happened in Pakistan, but Bhutto didn't trust Zia. What was the change?
4. To whom was Bhutto's ideals and government dedicated to?
5. What were two of the biggest social problems in Pakistan that Benazir had to face upon her election?
6. What were some of the strategies that were employed to help Pakistan's economic situation?
7. What was General Zia's response to the international pressure that Bhutto was generating?
8. Who were Benazir's two main rivals in how she was running the country?
9. How did Benazir inform people of the referendum that Zia put together and encourage them to boycott?
10. During a vacation to France Benazir was reunited with her brother Shah who then died shortly after. What were the circumstances of his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of civil disobedience in the history of politics? What does civil disobedience mean? Is it important? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write about the rise of Ali Bhutto and the PPP from the perspective of Brigadier General Zia. What ideas of Bhutto's were the most dangerous? How was General Zia fulfilling his ideas of leadership for the country? What were his fears?
Essay Topic 3
In 1965 Pakistan went to war with India but it only lasted a short time. What were the details surrounding the situation? How was Benazir's father involved?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)