|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Benazir was eventually allowed to go to _______ in Europe for medical attention.
2. _______ visited Pakistan in 1982, and the Senate Foreign Relations Committee challenged him with reports of abuse of political prisoners.
3. Bhutto's sister _______ suggested that Zia did this because Bhutto's first child would be due and he expected her not to campaign.
4. According to the book, Benazir's mother seemed to have ________ or lung cancer and Benazir was eventually allowed to visit her briefly.
5. Benazir spoke out to ________ and the Council on Foreign Relations when Zia continued the execution of political prisoners.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Benazir's election to the post of Prime Minister exceptional?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Benazir was allowed to visit her mother who was ill. What illness was she thought to have had?
3. Why did General Zia call for free elections in 1988? How did he hope to oust Benazir as competition?
4. Why was Nusrat eventually allowed to leave her captivity and go to Europe for treatment?
5. What happened to interrupt the celebration of Pakistan's Independence Day in 1986?
6. How was General Zia using Islam to his advantage?
7. What were some of Benazir's main desires for Pakistan?
8. After being released from solitary confinement in Karachi, how did Bhutto attempt to thwart assassination attempts?
9. Who were Benazir's two main rivals in how she was running the country?
10. What was General Zia's response to the international pressure that Bhutto was generating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of civil disobedience in the history of politics? What does civil disobedience mean? Is it important? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
According to the book, "Bhutto worked to harbor no bitterness towards her opponents". Describe the actions she made that demonstrated this commitment. Why was it important to her?
Essay Topic 3
Ali Bhutto was blamed for crop damage that occurred in various parts of Pakistan. It seems unreasonable to believe him the cause of these events. Why would the people be able to believe such a thing? Why was it important for Benazir to address these people directly?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)