|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Benazir was eventually released by the jail _______, however she was unable to see her mother.
2. Benazir's real name was ________. She was called Benazir by her father which meant "without equal".
3. The Pakistani government has ________ senators elected every six years by four provinces.
4. Benazir took part in demonstrations against the war in Vietnam and was also attracted to the _______ movement in the United States.
5. Benazir acclimatized quickly to her surroundings and began to join several organizations including ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1967, Ali Bhutto organized his own political party and was subsequently put in jail. What was the name and some of the goals of the party?
2. Why did Benazir and her mother decide not go to the same MRD meetings together?
3. What traditional practices did Benazir hold on to even as she integrated somewhat into American society?
4. After completing three years at Oxford with her degrees, Benazir's father insisted she go for more study. How many years of additional study did Benazir complete and which topics did she study?
5. List and describe the languages that Benazir was required to learn as part of her education.
6. East Pakistan became a new country shortly after Ali Bhutto's trip to the UN. What is the name of the new country and what were the circumstances which led to it being a new country?
7. Why was there concern that Ali and Benazir's lives were in danger after Ali held parliamentary elections?
8. How did Benazir occupy her time as a political prisoner in the desert cell?
9. Describe the advice that Ali Bhutto gave to Benazir concerning power politics.
10. List the three degrees that Benazir was working on at Oxford.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ali Bhutto was blamed for crop damage that occurred in various parts of Pakistan. It seems unreasonable to believe him the cause of these events. Why would the people be able to believe such a thing? Why was it important for Benazir to address these people directly?
Essay Topic 2
Briefly describe the political structure of the Pakistani government. How many senators are elected? What is the length of their terms? How many provinces are senators elected from? Describe the National Assembly.
Essay Topic 3
Benazir was put into jail as a political prisoner. In your country are there beliefs that could put you in jail if you proclaimed them loudly enough? Why or why not? Would you be willing to go to jail for the chance to express your beliefs?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)