|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon her release from jail, Benazir was put on a plane back home to _______, Pakistan.
2. Benazir's father contacted the general who said that he would hold an election in ______ days and that Bhutto was under house arrest.
3. Benazir's father's campaign to secure rights became ________ and emotional although he eventually won.
4. The book describes an incident in which Benazir Bhutto encountered racial prejudice at the _______ airport.
5. Partially as a result of the interventions orchestrated by her father, Benazir was accepted to Radcliffe in _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. List the three degrees that Benazir was working on at Oxford.
2. What was one of the ways that General Zia limited the freedom of the press in an effort to draw attention away from the Bhuttos?
3. During Benazir's junior year, her father was elected Prime Minister of Pakistan. What is the difference between the role of the Prime Minister and the president?
4. What was strange about the final sentence that was carried out for Ali Bhutto?
5. In 1967, Ali Bhutto organized his own political party and was subsequently put in jail. What was the name and some of the goals of the party?
6. What traditional practices did Benazir hold on to even as she integrated somewhat into American society?
7. During her Junior year at Harvard, Benazir was able to see a meeting with the Prime Minister of India. What was the name of the prime minister and what was the topic of the meeting?
8. What was the result of Ali Bhutto's trip to the Untied Nations during the war in 1965?
9. What event occurred that caused Benazir to take a break from her political activism?
10. What did the Pakistani newspapers accuse Benazir's brothers of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the rise of Ali Bhutto and the PPP from the perspective of Brigadier General Zia. What ideas of Bhutto's were the most dangerous? How was General Zia fulfilling his ideas of leadership for the country? What were his fears?
Essay Topic 2
How would the story of imprisonment and illness be different if told from Nusrat's perspective? From Benazir's perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Ali Bhutto was blamed for crop damage that occurred in various parts of Pakistan. It seems unreasonable to believe him the cause of these events. Why would the people be able to believe such a thing? Why was it important for Benazir to address these people directly?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)