|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Benazir was placed in a private ______ school in which she learned several languages including English.
2. Benazir had to stop her political activism at one point due to a serious _______.
(a) Ear infection.
(b) Heart attack.
(c) Eye infection.
3. Benazir befriended several of the girls who were near her room including ________, who helped her to learn how to answer the telephone.
(a) Julie Fadiman.
(b) Anne Fadiman.
(c) Anne Lamott.
(d) Anne Galbraith.
4. As a consequence for talking openly about the general, five men with _______ arrived to take the prime minister into custody again.
(c) Machine guns.
5. Benazir's intelligence and enthusiasm led her tutors to think that she might become an ambassador's assistant to the ________.
(a) United Nations.
(c) Secretary of State.
(d) League of Nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Benazir's father held elections in ________ instead of August so that he could get to work on his campaign to secure rights in the foreign and civil service.
2. On July 7, 1977, Brigadier General _______ led the army to stage a coup against Benazir's father.
3. In 1977, Benazir was the first _______ or non-British person elected president of the Oxford Society to which she belonged.
4. During the meeting at the United Nations, Benazir's father asked her to meet him in ________ and watch Security Council disputes.
5. According to the book, Muslim men may have up to four wives. Benazir's mother was the ______ wife.
Short Essay Questions
1. Benazir stated in the book that her mother's marriage to Ali Bhutto was "independent of Muslim tradition". Briefly describe Muslim tradition in terms of marriage.
2. Name two of the three countries that made requests to repeal Ali's sentence and the name of Benazir's Oxford friend who helped in the case.
3. After completing three years at Oxford with her degrees, Benazir's father insisted she go for more study. How many years of additional study did Benazir complete and which topics did she study?
4. East Pakistan became a new country shortly after Ali Bhutto's trip to the UN. What is the name of the new country and what were the circumstances which led to it being a new country?
5. Why did Benazir and her mother decide not go to the same MRD meetings together?
6. What was one of the ways that General Zia limited the freedom of the press in an effort to draw attention away from the Bhuttos?
7. What was Benazir's father found guilty of and what was his sentence?
8. Provide at least 2 of the countries the border Pakistan and describe the relationship Pakistan had with at least one of those countries.
9. After becoming more comfortable with her surroundings, Benazir became more outgoing. What are some of the activities she participated in while at Harvard?
10. According to the book, Nusrat followed a traditional step for political families in Asia after Ali's arrest. What was it?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)