|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Bhutto spoke at the monument that her father built, the crowd tripled in size. She promised to make every sacrifice to protect _______.
(b) A free republic.
2. Bhutto continued to campaign against the other candidates but was interrupted on September 21, 1988 when ________.
(a) Her son was born.
(b) Her daughter was born.
(c) Her husband was attacked.
(d) Her mother died.
3. Benazir wanted to stay with her family in Geneva, but she had to go to ______ for medical treatment.
4. Shah and his wife _______ were living in Cannes. Benazir received a call from his wife stating that Shah had accidentally taken poison.
5. _______ won the general election in March although it was a low turnout.
6. According to the book, the MRD stands for ________.
(a) Movement to Restore Democracy.
(b) Militia for the Return of Democracy.
(c) Monetary Reserve Deficit.
(d) Movement for the Restoration of Defense.
7. Bhutto promised to _______ of the United States not to become a nuclear power in exchange for military and economic aid.
(a) Jimmy Carter.
(b) Ronald Reagan.
(c) George Bush.
(d) Bill Clinton.
8. When the polls closed in November, the PPP had won several victories. One of them involved winning 92 seats in _________.
(a) The National Assembly.
(b) The Senate.
(c) The Regional Assembly.
(d) The Congress.
9. The _______ helped Benazir plan her trip back home, despite threats from fellow Pakistanis.
10. In response to Benazir's actions to organize Pakistanis, the Brigadier General killed some prisoners, causing Benazir to appeal to _____ the assistant secretary of state for human rights.
(a) Nasser Hussein.
(b) Peter Galbraith.
(c) Elliot Abrams.
(d) John Kenneth Galbraith.
11. Bhutto also had to deal with a national illiteracy rate of _______ made more problematic by Muslim men and religious leaders' opposition to education for women.
12. ________ leaders wanted Benazir to return to Pakistan, but she knew that she was still wanted by the military.
13. During Ronald Reagan's presidency, the United States began to send money to Pakistan to prevent _______ forces from getting to the border.
14. Benazir spoke out to ________ and the Council on Foreign Relations when Zia continued the execution of political prisoners.
(a) European Parliament.
(b) United Nations.
(c) U.S. Congress.
(d) U.S. House of Representatives.
15. During the celebration, _______ arrived and used tear gas against the crowd.
(a) The military.
(b) The police.
(c) The communists.
(d) The guerrillas.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a vacation to France, Benazir was reunited with her brother Shah and met his daughter _______.
2. Bhutto told her mother-in-law that _______ would be the center of her universe.
3. After delivering her child, Bhutto was back at her job ______ days later.
4. After her sister's wedding, Benazir wrote a letter to _______, who had tried to see her on the order of the U.S. Government.
5. In order to improve trade and foreign relations, Pakistan joined the ______ Commonwealth.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)