|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Zia's rule, women could be stoned or jailed simply for being suspected of _______.
(b) Enjoying sex.
2. In order to stay away from her enemies, Bhutto made _______ separate plans for every trip that she made.
3. Benazir's sister married Nasser Hussein by her own free will. The _______ interrupted the ceremony several times.
4. According to the book, Bhutto planned to celebrate Pakistan's _________ on August 14th, 1986.
(a) Entrance to the United Nations.
(b) Rejection of Islam.
(c) Rejection of Democracy.
(d) Independence Day.
5. Due to tensions that arose after the death of Shah, Mir and his wife _______ separated.
6. Bhutto told her mother-in-law that _______ would be the center of her universe.
(a) Her family.
(b) Commitment to freedom.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her children.
7. Benazir flew into the town of ______ when she finally arrived back in Pakistan to challenge Zia.
8. The U.S. president became angry at the mention of political prisoners and stated that ________ was living under great conditions.
9. Bhutto escaped from the celebration ________ but was eventually caught and imprisoned in Karachi.
(a) On foot.
(b) In a friend's car.
(c) On a bike.
(d) In a cab.
10. According to the book, the dictatorship in Pakistan had lasted for _______ years.
11. Bhutto continued to campaign against the other candidates but was interrupted on September 21, 1988 when ________.
(a) Her mother died.
(b) Her son was born.
(c) Her daughter was born.
(d) Her husband was attacked.
12. _______ won the general election in March although it was a low turnout.
13. Zia also passed strict laws declaring ________ or Islamic law, the supreme law of the land.
14. Bhutto declined to act in revenge towards the current leadership in Pakistan and the crowd shouted _______.
(a) Zia must die.
(b) Zia must hang.
(c) Zia must go.
(d) Zia must be banished.
15. Leaders in _______ pressured Zia to hold a general election and he scheduled them for March of 1985.
(d) The United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Bhutto, Pakistan was a land of great promise and reached out its _______ in hope.
2. Bhutto also had to deal with a national illiteracy rate of _______ made more problematic by Muslim men and religious leaders' opposition to education for women.
3. After Benazir's mother left for treatment, Benazir was placed under house arrest in _______ for another 14 months.
4. During a vacation to France, Benazir was reunited with her brother Shah and met his daughter _______.
5. Eventually, Benazir's mother was allowed to leave for _______ and Switzerland for medical treatment.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)