|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of men does Beloved remember bringing her food and water?
2. What war did Denver's brother leave to fight in?
3. Why don't the party goers like Baby Suggs?
4. Where does Denver initially go for help?
5. Who does Baby Suggs hope to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
2. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
3. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
4. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
5. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
6. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
7. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
8. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
9. What does the black statue outside the Bodwin's signify?
10. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Beloved and Denver.
1) What is their relationship with their mother?
2) What is their relationship with Paul D?
3) What is their relationship to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)