|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the woman that Beloved saw putting leaves in a basket?
2. Who does Stamp Paid say managed to punch Sethe and get her down?
3. Where does Paul D work?
4. What does Denver say she drank from Sethe's nipple?
5. What does Denver dream about Sethe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stamp Paid show Paul D the article about Sethe?
2. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
3. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
4. Why do you think Halle smears butter over his face?
5. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
6. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
7. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
8. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
9. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
10. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book many character change their names. For example, Baby Suggs changes her name from Janet. Why do you think people changed their names? Is there a difference between the characters that did change their names and the characters that did not?
Essay Topic 2
Sethe trying to kill her children was not unusual during this period. Discuss why black mothers would want to kill their children. If their lives were that bad, why were her sons so fearful of Sethe? Were these women not in their right minds at the time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)