|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sethe tell Beloved she did with the men without skin?
2. Who does Stamp Paid say managed to punch Sethe and get her down?
3. Who does Paul say badly abused the slaves at Sweet Home?
4. What is Sethe telling Paul D at the beginning of this chapter?
5. How does Sethe try to kill Denver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the character of Paul D.
1) What is his background?
2) What do you think his good and bad points are?
3) What do think a similar character would of achieved in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)