|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sethe get fired?
2. How many days does Stamp walk up to the house without knocking?
3. What kind of pies does Sethe make?
4. Who stops Sethe from killing Denver?
5. What happened to Beloved when Sethe became thinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
2. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
3. How does this chapter move around the thoughts of the three women?
4. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
5. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
6. What does the black statue outside the Bodwin's signify?
7. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
8. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
9. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
10. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul D notices that Beloved desires someone in the house, but knows it is not him. What do you think Paul D's feelings are for Beloved? Does he want to have a sexual relationship with her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, Sethe tried to kill her children and succeeded in killing one. How do you think it has affected them? Can they remember?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)