Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war did Denver's brother leave to fight in?
2. Who does Stamp Paid say that Sethe tried to stab?
3. What is Sethe telling Paul D at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What does Sethe tell Paul in the end?
5. What kind of men does Beloved remember bringing her food and water?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)