|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of building is Paul D sitting outside of?
2. Why are the people who went to the party so upset?
3. Whose story does the novel turn back to in chapter 15?
4. Who arrives after the sheriff has taken Sethe away?
5. Who meets Paul D at 124?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
2. Why do you think Halle smears butter over his face?
3. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
4. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
5. Why does Stamp ask about a woman he does not know?
6. Why does Paul D mention that Sethe has two legs?
7. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
8. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
9. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
10. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul D says it is a bad idea for ex-slaves to love their children too much. Discuss this statement, drawing two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
Essay Topic 3
A ghost haunts 124. What do you think the ghost symbolizes? Why do you think they are so ready to believe in a ghost?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)