|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war did Denver's brother leave to fight in?
2. Who does Stamp Paid say that Sethe tried to stab?
3. What is Sethe telling Paul D at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What does Sethe tell Paul in the end?
5. What kind of men does Beloved remember bringing her food and water?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
Paul D, Sethe, and Denver spend a day at the carnival set aside for black people. They enjoy it because they get to laugh at white people.
1) What would you think of white people if you were a black person during this time? Would you hide your feelings?
2) Think about if you were white. How difficult would it be to form a decent opinion of black people when society went out of its way to dehumanize them? Do you think white people's upbringings conditioned them to treat black people so badly?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)