|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the newspaper article about?
2. Why don't the party goers like Baby Suggs?
3. Why can't Stamp Paid tell Paul D that he saw Sethe take her children into the woodshed?
4. What happened to Beloved when Sethe became thinner?
5. Who captured him after he left the Union army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the black statue outside the Bodwin's signify?
2. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
3. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
4. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
5. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
6. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
7. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
8. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
9. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
10. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
Essay Topic 2
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following statement: Denver's deafness is a psychosomatic disorder brought on by the hardships she has suffered.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)