|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stamp have trouble knocking at Sethe's door?
2. Why are Sethe and Beloved trying to gather strength?
3. What does Paul D wonder aloud?
4. What fact does Beloved remember about a dead man?
5. Why does Stamp Paid think that nobody warned Sethe about the men coming to take her back to Sweet Home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
2. What does the black statue outside the Bodwin's signify?
3. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
4. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
5. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
6. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
7. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
8. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
9. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
10. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 2
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
Essay Topic 3
Think about Paul D's time in prison in Georgia. What do you think conditions were like? How would you have coped in similar conditions?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)