|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the woman that Beloved saw putting leaves in a basket?
2. Why are Sethe and Beloved trying to gather strength?
3. Who does Paul say badly abused the slaves at Sweet Home?
4. What sometimes appears by the stream behind the house?
5. Who does Stamp Paid say managed to punch Sethe and get her down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
2. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
3. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
4. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
5. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
6. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
7. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
8. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
9. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
10. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, Baby Suggs preached ex-slaves to like themselves again. What role did religion play in abolition of slavery? Was Christianity the African American's native religion? If not, why did they embrace it so fully?
Essay Topic 2
A ghost haunts 124. What do you think the ghost symbolizes? Why do you think they are so ready to believe in a ghost?
Essay Topic 3
Paul D says it is a bad idea for ex-slaves to love their children too much. Discuss this statement, drawing two examples from the book.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)