|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sethe say that trying to kill her children prevented from happening?
2. What does Sethe tell Paul in the end?
3. Who captured him after he left the Union army?
4. Whose face is that Beloved thinks she has lost?
5. Who arrives at 124 at the beginning of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
2. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
3. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
4. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
5. Why do you think Halle smears butter over his face?
6. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
7. What does the black statue outside the Bodwin's signify?
8. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
9. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
10. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sethe is an ex-slave from Kentucky. What problems do you think Sethe faces as a slave here? Was it worse in other places? How do you think it has shaped Sethe as a person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)