|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sethe decide about Beloved?
2. Why did Sethe get fired?
3. Why does Paul D think the article must be sensational?
4. What does Sethe tell Beloved she did with the men without skin?
5. Who stops Sethe from killing Denver?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
2. Why does Paul D mention that Sethe has two legs?
3. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
4. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
5. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
6. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
7. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
8. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
9. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
10. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Paul D notices that Beloved desires someone in the house, but knows it is not him. What do you think Paul D's feelings are for Beloved? Does he want to have a sexual relationship with her?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the character of Paul D.
1) What is his background?
2) What do you think his good and bad points are?
3) What do think a similar character would of achieved in today's society?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)