|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to take Sethe back to Sweethome?
2. How does Sethe try to kill Denver?
3. Why are Sethe and Beloved trying to gather strength?
4. What sometimes appears by the stream behind the house?
5. What does Beloved see in the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
2. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
3. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
4. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
5. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
6. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
7. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
8. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
9. Why do you think Halle smears butter over his face?
10. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following statement: Denver's deafness is a psychosomatic disorder brought on by the hardships she has suffered.
Essay Topic 3
Think about Paul D's time in prison in Georgia. What do you think conditions were like? How would you have coped in similar conditions?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)