|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first thing Denver heard after she went deaf?
2. Who arrives to talk to Paul D?
3. What has Sethe done to her baby?
4. Why does Morrison say Sethe, Denver, and Paul D forget Beloved?
5. Who does Paul D say had all the good ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Halle smears butter over his face?
2. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
3. Why does Stamp Paid show Paul D the article about Sethe?
4. What does the black statue outside the Bodwin's signify?
5. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
6. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
7. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
8. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
9. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
10. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the character of Paul D.
1) What is his background?
2) What do you think his good and bad points are?
3) What do think a similar character would of achieved in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Describe conditions in the Georgian prison camp. Why were there just slaves in the prison? What is the significance that the guards asked for sexual favors?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)