|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sethe tell Paul in the end?
2. Who does Paul D say has offered him a place to stay?
3. How does Sethe know Beloved is her child?
4. What is Sethe telling Paul D at the beginning of this chapter?
5. Who meets Paul D at 124?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
2. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
3. Why does Stamp Paid show Paul D the article about Sethe?
4. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
5. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
6. Why does Paul D mention that Sethe has two legs?
7. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
8. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
9. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
10. Why do you think Halle smears butter over his face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
Sethe is an ex-slave from Kentucky. What problems do you think Sethe faces as a slave here? Was it worse in other places? How do you think it has shaped Sethe as a person?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)