|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to take Sethe back to Sweethome?
2. Who captured him after he left the Union army?
3. What does Sethe decide about Beloved?
4. How does the chapter begin?
5. What kind of pies does Sethe make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
2. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
3. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
4. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
5. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
6. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
7. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
8. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
9. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
10. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, Baby Suggs preached ex-slaves to like themselves again. What role did religion play in abolition of slavery? Was Christianity the African American's native religion? If not, why did they embrace it so fully?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the character of Paul D.
1) What is his background?
2) What do you think his good and bad points are?
3) What do think a similar character would of achieved in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)