|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the footprints disappear?
2. What does Paul D tell Stamp Paid he does not want to see anymore of?
3. Who are the only three people in this chapter?
4. Who stops Sethe from killing Denver?
5. Who does Paul D say had all the good ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
2. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
3. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
4. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
5. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
6. How does this chapter move around the thoughts of the three women?
7. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
8. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
9. Why do you think Halle smears butter over his face?
10. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sethe is an ex-slave from Kentucky. What problems do you think Sethe faces as a slave here? Was it worse in other places? How do you think it has shaped Sethe as a person?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
A ghost haunts 124. What do you think the ghost symbolizes? Why do you think they are so ready to believe in a ghost?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)