|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Toni Morrison say people can cope with loneliness?
2. What does Sethe make so she and Beloved can enjoy good times together?
3. How did Mr. Garner die?
4. Where does Denver initially go for help?
5. What two characters does Beloved have separate conversations with in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
2. Why do you think Halle smears butter over his face?
3. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
4. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
5. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
6. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
7. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
8. Why does Stamp Paid show Paul D the article about Sethe?
9. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
10. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Paul D notices that Beloved desires someone in the house, but knows it is not him. What do you think Paul D's feelings are for Beloved? Does he want to have a sexual relationship with her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)