|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Morrison say Sethe, Denver, and Paul D forget Beloved?
2. What two characters does Beloved have separate conversations with in this chapter?
3. What does Sethe tell Beloved she did with the men without skin?
4. What has Sethe spent all her savings on?
5. Whose face is that Beloved thinks she has lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
2. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
3. Why does Stamp ask about a woman he does not know?
4. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
5. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
6. How does this chapter move around the thoughts of the three women?
7. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
8. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
9. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
10. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
In the book many character change their names. For example, Baby Suggs changes her name from Janet. Why do you think people changed their names? Is there a difference between the characters that did change their names and the characters that did not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following statement: Denver's deafness is a psychosomatic disorder brought on by the hardships she has suffered.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)