|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paul D think the article must be sensational?
2. How many days does Stamp walk up to the house without knocking?
3. What does Denver dream about Sethe?
4. Why does Paul D say Sethe has two legs?
5. Who does Paul D say he envies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
2. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
3. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
4. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
5. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
6. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
7. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
8. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
9. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
10. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
Essay Topic 2
Paul D notices that Beloved desires someone in the house, but knows it is not him. What do you think Paul D's feelings are for Beloved? Does he want to have a sexual relationship with her?
Essay Topic 3
Think about Paul D's time in prison in Georgia. What do you think conditions were like? How would you have coped in similar conditions?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)