|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sethe tell Beloved she did with the men without skin?
2. Who does Baby Suggs hope to see?
3. What does Sethe decide about Beloved?
4. Why does Sethe think she does not have to explain anything to Beloved?
5. What two characters does Beloved have separate conversations with in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
2. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
3. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
4. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
5. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
6. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
7. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
8. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
9. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
10. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book many character change their names. For example, Baby Suggs changes her name from Janet. Why do you think people changed their names? Is there a difference between the characters that did change their names and the characters that did not?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)