|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Baby Suggs hope to see?
2. Why are Sethe and Beloved trying to gather strength?
3. How does Sethe try to kill Denver?
4. What was the first thing Denver heard after she went deaf?
5. What does Beloved say came to mix the men with the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
2. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
3. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
4. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
5. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
6. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
7. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
8. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
9. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
10. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the character of Paul D.
1) What is his background?
2) What do you think his good and bad points are?
3) What do think a similar character would of achieved in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Paul D's time in prison in Georgia. What do you think conditions were like? How would you have coped in similar conditions?
Essay Topic 3
Sethe trying to kill her children was not unusual during this period. Discuss why black mothers would want to kill their children. If their lives were that bad, why were her sons so fearful of Sethe? Were these women not in their right minds at the time?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)