|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beloved doing when the rain falls?
2. Why does Sethe think she does not have to explain anything to Beloved?
3. Who meets Paul D at 124?
4. How many people come to the party?
5. What does Sethe tell Beloved she did with the men without skin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the black statue outside the Bodwin's signify?
2. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
3. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
4. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
5. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
6. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
7. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
8. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
9. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
10. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the character of Paul D.
1) What is his background?
2) What do you think his good and bad points are?
3) What do think a similar character would of achieved in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following statement: Denver's deafness is a psychosomatic disorder brought on by the hardships she has suffered.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)