|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the footprints disappear?
2. Why did Sethe get fired?
3. Who does Stamp Paid say that Sethe tried to stab?
4. What sort of building is Paul D sitting outside of?
5. Who does Paul D say has offered him a place to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
2. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
3. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
4. Why does Paul D mention that Sethe has two legs?
5. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
6. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
7. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
8. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
9. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
10. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
Essay Topic 2
A ghost haunts 124. What do you think the ghost symbolizes? Why do you think they are so ready to believe in a ghost?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)