|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sethe remember Baby Suggs telling her?
2. What does Sethe do as soon as she sees the woman?
3. Where does Paul D have sex with Beloved?
4. How far does Paul D say that Sixo would walk to meet a woman?
5. What did Sethe tell Amy her real name was?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
2. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
3. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
4. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
5. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
6. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
7. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
8. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
9. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
10. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
Essay Topic 1
Paul D notices that Beloved desires someone in the house, but knows it is not him. What do you think Paul D's feelings are for Beloved? Does he want to have a sexual relationship with her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)