|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Paul D imprisoned?
2. What does Beloved ask Sethe about?
3. How many of Baby Suggs' sons ran away?
4. What does Denver want from Beloved?
5. Why are Denver and Sethe so surprised that the woman is called Beloved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
2. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
3. Is it significant that Denver looks after Beloved and not Sethe?
4. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
5. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
6. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
7. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
8. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
9. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
10. What is a Sweet Home Man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement: Denver's deafness is a psychosomatic disorder brought on by the hardships she has suffered.
Essay Topic 2
Sethe is an ex-slave from Kentucky. What problems do you think Sethe faces as a slave here? Was it worse in other places? How do you think it has shaped Sethe as a person?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)