|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the perfume bottle break?
2. How many of Baby Suggs' sons died?
3. What does Sethe remember Baby Suggs telling her?
4. What does Paul notice about Beloved?
5. What does Sethe think happened to Beloved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
2. In what way does the seventh chapter show the horrors of slavery?
3. Why do you think Mrs. Garner laughs at Sethe when she asks if she can have a proper wedding?
4. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
5. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
6. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
7. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
8. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
9. Why does Amy consider her self as low in the social scale as slaves when she is white?
10. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Beloved and Denver.
1) What is their relationship with their mother?
2) What is their relationship with Paul D?
3) What is their relationship to each other?
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Paul D notices that Beloved desires someone in the house, but knows it is not him. What do you think Paul D's feelings are for Beloved? Does he want to have a sexual relationship with her?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)