|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the woman sitting when Sethe, Denver and Paul D arrive back from the carnival?
2. Where does Paul sleep after when he is tired of sleeping on a chair?
3. What is Beloved doing for Denver upstairs?
4. What did Baby Suggs teach?
5. What is the address of Sethe's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
2. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
3. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
4. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
5. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
6. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
7. Why does Paul question his manhood?
8. Why do you think Mrs. Garner laughs at Sethe when she asks if she can have a proper wedding?
9. In what way does the seventh chapter show the horrors of slavery?
10. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
In the book, Baby Suggs preached ex-slaves to like themselves again. What role did religion play in abolition of slavery? Was Christianity the African American's native religion? If not, why did they embrace it so fully?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)