|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beloved ask Sethe about?
2. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
3. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe?
4. Where did Halle and Sethe used to have sex after they were married?
5. What does Paul presume Beloved is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
2. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
3. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
4. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
5. Why does Paul D mention that Sethe has two legs?
6. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
7. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
8. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
9. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
10. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Sethe is an ex-slave from Kentucky. What problems do you think Sethe faces as a slave here? Was it worse in other places? How do you think it has shaped Sethe as a person?
Essay Topic 3
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)