Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beloved ask Sethe about?
2. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
3. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe?
4. Where did Halle and Sethe used to have sex after they were married?
5. What does Paul presume Beloved is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
2. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
3. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
4. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
5. Why does Paul D mention that Sethe has two legs?
6. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
7. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
8. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
9. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
10. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
In the book, Baby Suggs preached ex-slaves to like themselves again. What role did religion play in abolition of slavery? Was Christianity the African American's native religion? If not, why did they embrace it so fully?
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)