|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sethe think Beloved hates?
2. Where is the woman sitting when Sethe, Denver and Paul D arrive back from the carnival?
3. What did Baby Suggs teach?
4. What is the name of Sethe's dog?
5. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
2. Why is Denver convinced that Beloved is her sister?
3. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
4. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
5. In what way does the seventh chapter show the horrors of slavery?
6. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
7. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
8. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
9. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
10. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
Essay Topic 2
In the book, Baby Suggs preached ex-slaves to like themselves again. What role did religion play in abolition of slavery? Was Christianity the African American's native religion? If not, why did they embrace it so fully?
Essay Topic 3
In the book many character change their names. For example, Baby Suggs changes her name from Janet. Why do you think people changed their names? Is there a difference between the characters that did change their names and the characters that did not?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)