|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beloved wonder about herself?
2. What happened to Sethe's mother?
3. What happen after Paul D has spent 86 days at the camp?
4. What does Sethe think happened to Beloved?
5. What is the name of Sethe's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
2. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
3. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
4. Why do you think Mrs. Garner laughs at Sethe when she asks if she can have a proper wedding?
5. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
6. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
7. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
8. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
9. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
10. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Beloved and Denver.
1) What is their relationship with their mother?
2) What is their relationship with Paul D?
3) What is their relationship to each other?
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Sethe trying to kill her children was not unusual during this period. Discuss why black mothers would want to kill their children. If their lives were that bad, why were her sons so fearful of Sethe? Were these women not in their right minds at the time?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)