|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Paul D imprisoned?
2. How long did the man say he would spend chiseling Sethe's daughters gravestone until he would charge for it?
3. Where does Paul D sleep after he is tired of sleeping in Baby Suggs' bed?
4. Where did Baby Suggs go to preach?
5. How long is it since Paul D and Sethe last saw each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
2. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
3. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
4. Why does Paul question his manhood?
5. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
6. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
7. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
8. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
9. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
10. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement: Denver's deafness is a psychosomatic disorder brought on by the hardships she has suffered.
Essay Topic 2
In the book many character change their names. For example, Baby Suggs changes her name from Janet. Why do you think people changed their names? Is there a difference between the characters that did change their names and the characters that did not?
Essay Topic 3
Paul D, Sethe, and Denver spend a day at the carnival set aside for black people. They enjoy it because they get to laugh at white people.
1) What would you think of white people if you were a black person during this time? Would you hide your feelings?
2) Think about if you were white. How difficult would it be to form a decent opinion of black people when society went out of its way to dehumanize them? Do you think white people's upbringings conditioned them to treat black people so badly?
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)