Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beloved ask Sethe about?
2. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
3. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe?
4. Where did Halle and Sethe used to have sex after they were married?
5. What does Paul presume Beloved is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
2. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
3. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
4. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
5. Why does Paul D mention that Sethe has two legs?
6. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
7. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
8. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
9. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
10. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement: Denver's deafness is a psychosomatic disorder brought on by the hardships she has suffered.
Essay Topic 2
Paul D, Sethe, and Denver spend a day at the carnival set aside for black people. They enjoy it because they get to laugh at white people.
1) What would you think of white people if you were a black person during this time? Would you hide your feelings?
2) Think about if you were white. How difficult would it be to form a decent opinion of black people when society went out of its way to dehumanize them? Do you think white people's upbringings conditioned them to treat black people so badly?
Essay Topic 3
A ghost haunts 124. What do you think the ghost symbolizes? Why do you think they are so ready to believe in a ghost?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)