|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beloved ask Paul D?
2. Who is Beloved fascinated by?
3. What is the name of Sethe's dog?
4. How many other slaves is Paul D locked up with?
5. How long is it since Paul D and Sethe last saw each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
2. Why does Paul question his manhood?
3. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
4. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
5. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
6. What is a Sweet Home Man?
7. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
8. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
9. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
10. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, Sethe tried to kill her children and succeeded in killing one. How do you think it has affected them? Can they remember?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following statement: Denver's deafness is a psychosomatic disorder brought on by the hardships she has suffered.
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)