|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Halle and Sethe used to have sex after they were married?
2. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
3. What does Denver ask Beloved after Beloved has pulled out her tooth?
4. What does Beloved ask Denver about?
5. When did Miss Bodwin give Denver the perfume?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
2. Why does Denver deny that she saw Beloved pick up a chair?
3. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
4. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
5. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
6. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
7. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
8. What is a Sweet Home Man?
9. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
10. Why does Paul question his manhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement: Denver's deafness is a psychosomatic disorder brought on by the hardships she has suffered.
Essay Topic 2
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Sethe is an ex-slave from Kentucky. What problems do you think Sethe faces as a slave here? Was it worse in other places? How do you think it has shaped Sethe as a person?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)