|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Paul D imprisoned?
2. Who owned Sweet Home?
3. What did Denver used to play in her hiding place?
4. How long is it since Paul D and Sethe last saw each other?
5. What is the name of the man that Sethe chose to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
2. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
3. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
4. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
5. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
6. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
7. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
8. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
9. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
10. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sethe is an ex-slave from Kentucky. What problems do you think Sethe faces as a slave here? Was it worse in other places? How do you think it has shaped Sethe as a person?
Essay Topic 2
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Beloved and Denver.
1) What is their relationship with their mother?
2) What is their relationship with Paul D?
3) What is their relationship to each other?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)