|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sethe's daughter?
2. Where do the guards lock Paul D and the other men at night?
3. Where is the woman sitting when Sethe, Denver and Paul D arrive back from the carnival?
4. What does Sethe think happened to Beloved?
5. Where does Denver have a secret spot where she can hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
2. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
3. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
4. Why is Denver convinced that Beloved is her sister?
5. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
6. Why do you think Mrs. Garner laughs at Sethe when she asks if she can have a proper wedding?
7. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
8. Why does Amy consider her self as low in the social scale as slaves when she is white?
9. Is it significant that Denver looks after Beloved and not Sethe?
10. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, Sethe tried to kill her children and succeeded in killing one. How do you think it has affected them? Can they remember?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)