|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Denver her perfume?
2. What happen after Paul D has spent 86 days at the camp?
3. Where is the woman sitting when Sethe, Denver and Paul D arrive back from the carnival?
4. How long did the man say he would spend chiseling Sethe's daughters gravestone until he would charge for it?
5. Who does Sethe think about after she has sex with Paul D?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
2. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
3. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
4. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
5. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
6. What is a Sweet Home Man?
7. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
8. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
9. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
10. Why does Denver deny that she saw Beloved pick up a chair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, Sethe tried to kill her children and succeeded in killing one. How do you think it has affected them? Can they remember?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Paul D's time in prison in Georgia. What do you think conditions were like? How would you have coped in similar conditions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)