|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Halle smear on his face?
2. What did Sethe tell Amy her real name was?
3. Why is Sethe angry with Paul D?
4. Where does Paul sleep at first?
5. How many other slaves is Paul D locked up with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stamp ask about a woman he does not know?
2. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
3. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
4. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
5. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
6. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
7. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
8. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
9. Why is Denver convinced that Beloved is her sister?
10. How does this chapter move around the thoughts of the three women?
Essay Topic 1
In the book many character change their names. For example, Baby Suggs changes her name from Janet. Why do you think people changed their names? Is there a difference between the characters that did change their names and the characters that did not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)