|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Halle smear on his face?
2. What does Denver decide not to tell her mother?
3. What happen after Paul D has spent 86 days at the camp?
4. What does Beloved do when Denver asks why she didn't cry?
5. What happens as Denver tells the story of her birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
2. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
3. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
4. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
5. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
6. Why is Denver convinced that Beloved is her sister?
7. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
8. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
9. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
10. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Paul D's time in prison in Georgia. What do you think conditions were like? How would you have coped in similar conditions?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)