|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Baby Suggs do for a living when Sethe arrived at 124?
2. When did Miss Bodwin give Denver the perfume?
3. Why does Paul D think he is not really a man?
4. What does Paul notice about Beloved?
5. What does Denver ask Paul D?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
2. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
3. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
4. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
5. Why does Amy consider her self as low in the social scale as slaves when she is white?
6. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
7. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
8. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
9. What is a Sweet Home Man?
10. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul D says it is a bad idea for ex-slaves to love their children too much. Discuss this statement, drawing two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In the book many character change their names. For example, Baby Suggs changes her name from Janet. Why do you think people changed their names? Is there a difference between the characters that did change their names and the characters that did not?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, Baby Suggs preached ex-slaves to like themselves again. What role did religion play in abolition of slavery? Was Christianity the African American's native religion? If not, why did they embrace it so fully?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)