|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the man say he would spend chiseling Sethe's daughters gravestone until he would charge for it?
2. Where did Halle and Sethe used to have sex after they were married?
3. What did Denver used to hide from?
4. Who owned Sweet Home?
5. What did Denver used to play in her hiding place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
2. In what way does the seventh chapter show the horrors of slavery?
3. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
4. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
5. Why does Denver deny that she saw Beloved pick up a chair?
6. Why does Amy consider her self as low in the social scale as slaves when she is white?
7. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
8. What is a Sweet Home Man?
9. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
10. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger"?
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it considered so wrong to use it now?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Paul D, Sethe, and Denver spend a day at the carnival set aside for black people. They enjoy it because they get to laugh at white people.
1) What would you think of white people if you were a black person during this time? Would you hide your feelings?
2) Think about if you were white. How difficult would it be to form a decent opinion of black people when society went out of its way to dehumanize them? Do you think white people's upbringings conditioned them to treat black people so badly?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)