|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is it since Paul D and Sethe last saw each other?
2. Why is Denver jealous of Paul D?
3. Where does the woman come out from?
4. Where does Paul D sleep after he is tired of sleeping in Baby Suggs' bed?
5. Where does Paul D take Sethe and Denver?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
2. Is it significant that Denver looks after Beloved and not Sethe?
3. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
4. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
5. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
6. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
7. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
8. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
9. What is a Sweet Home Man?
10. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book many character change their names. For example, Baby Suggs changes her name from Janet. Why do you think people changed their names? Is there a difference between the characters that did change their names and the characters that did not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
Essay Topic 3
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)