|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that Sethe chose to marry?
2. Why was Paul D imprisoned?
3. How did the men on the plantation sate their sexual appetite?
4. What does Beloved say it is like where she comes from?
5. Who does Denver think Beloved is?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
2. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
3. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
4. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
5. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
6. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
7. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
8. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
9. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
10. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Beloved and Denver.
1) What is their relationship with their mother?
2) What is their relationship with Paul D?
3) What is their relationship to each other?
Essay Topic 3
Describe conditions in the Georgian prison camp. Why were there just slaves in the prison? What is the significance that the guards asked for sexual favors?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)