|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sethe do as soon as she sees the woman?
2. What does Paul presume Beloved is?
3. Why did the perfume bottle break?
4. In what way does Sethe say Halle mistreated her?
5. Why could Paul not help his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
2. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
3. Why is Denver convinced that Beloved is her sister?
4. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
5. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
6. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
7. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
8. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
9. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
10. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sethe is an ex-slave from Kentucky. What problems do you think Sethe faces as a slave here? Was it worse in other places? How do you think it has shaped Sethe as a person?
Essay Topic 2
In the book, Sethe tried to kill her children and succeeded in killing one. How do you think it has affected them? Can they remember?
Essay Topic 3
Paul D notices that Beloved desires someone in the house, but knows it is not him. What do you think Paul D's feelings are for Beloved? Does he want to have a sexual relationship with her?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)