|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul D decide to tell Sethe?
2. Who does Denver think Beloved is?
3. Where does Paul D take Sethe and Denver?
4. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe for wanting a wedding?
5. What does Sethe remember Baby Suggs telling her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
2. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
3. What is a Sweet Home Man?
4. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
5. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
6. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
7. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
8. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
9. Why does Denver deny that she saw Beloved pick up a chair?
10. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, Sethe tried to kill her children and succeeded in killing one. How do you think it has affected them? Can they remember?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Paul D's time in prison in Georgia. What do you think conditions were like? How would you have coped in similar conditions?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)