|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the man say he would spend chiseling Sethe's daughters gravestone until he would charge for it?
2. What does Sethe remember Baby Suggs telling her?
3. What is Beloved doing for Denver upstairs?
4. Where does Paul sleep at first?
5. What is the name of Sethe's mother in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
2. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
3. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
4. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
5. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
6. Why does Paul question his manhood?
7. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
8. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
9. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
10. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul D says it is a bad idea for ex-slaves to love their children too much. Discuss this statement, drawing two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Take one white character and one black character and compare their backgrounds and character goals. How does Morrison represent white characters? How does she represent the black characters? Do you think they are both accurate depictions?
Essay Topic 3
Sethe trying to kill her children was not unusual during this period. Discuss why black mothers would want to kill their children. If their lives were that bad, why were her sons so fearful of Sethe? Were these women not in their right minds at the time?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)