|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Denver ask Paul D?
2. Why was Paul D imprisoned?
3. What does Beloved do when Denver asks why she didn't cry?
4. What is the name of Sethe's mother in-law?
5. What does Denver ask Beloved after Beloved has pulled out her tooth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
2. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
3. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
4. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
5. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
6. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
7. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
8. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
9. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
10. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book many character change their names. For example, Baby Suggs changes her name from Janet. Why do you think people changed their names? Is there a difference between the characters that did change their names and the characters that did not?
Essay Topic 2
Paul D says it is a bad idea for ex-slaves to love their children too much. Discuss this statement, drawing two examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the book, Baby Suggs preached ex-slaves to like themselves again. What role did religion play in abolition of slavery? Was Christianity the African American's native religion? If not, why did they embrace it so fully?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)