|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sethe remember Howard?
2. Who owned Sweet Home?
3. Where does Paul sleep after when he is tired of sleeping on a chair?
4. Why was Paul D imprisoned?
5. How does Sethe react to Denver asking Paul D how long he is going to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
2. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
3. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
4. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
5. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
6. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
7. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
8. Why does Denver deny that she saw Beloved pick up a chair?
9. What is a Sweet Home Man?
10. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the historical setting of the novel.
1) What were the rights of the ex-slaves? Were their lives any better? What kind of jobs did they get?
2) Was slavery completely abolished at this time?
Essay Topic 2
In this novel, Morrison uses the stream of consciousness technique twice, once with Sethe and in the next chapter with Denver.
1) How do you think stream of consciousness works to express a character's thoughts?
2) Why do you think Morrison uses stream of consciousness with these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the character of Paul D.
1) What is his background?
2) What do you think his good and bad points are?
3) What do think a similar character would of achieved in today's society?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)