|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Baby Suggs' sons ran away?
2. What did Sethe tell Amy her real name was?
3. Why did the perfume bottle break?
4. What does Beloved ask Paul D?
5. What does Denver ask Paul D?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
2. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
3. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
4. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
5. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
6. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
7. Why does Amy consider her self as low in the social scale as slaves when she is white?
8. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
9. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
10. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Beloved and Denver.
1) What is their relationship with their mother?
2) What is their relationship with Paul D?
3) What is their relationship to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Paul D notices that Beloved desires someone in the house, but knows it is not him. What do you think Paul D's feelings are for Beloved? Does he want to have a sexual relationship with her?
Essay Topic 3
Sethe trying to kill her children was not unusual during this period. Discuss why black mothers would want to kill their children. If their lives were that bad, why were her sons so fearful of Sethe? Were these women not in their right minds at the time?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)