|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sethe react to Denver asking Paul D how long he is going to stay?
2. Why did Halle break down?
3. How far does Paul D say that Sixo would walk to meet a woman?
4. What did the Garners pride themselves in doing?
5. What does Beloved say it is like where she comes from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Denver convinced that Beloved is her sister?
2. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
3. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
4. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
5. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
6. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
7. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
8. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
9. Why does Amy consider her self as low in the social scale as slaves when she is white?
10. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sethe trying to kill her children was not unusual during this period. Discuss why black mothers would want to kill their children. If their lives were that bad, why were her sons so fearful of Sethe? Were these women not in their right minds at the time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Beloved and Denver.
1) What is their relationship with their mother?
2) What is their relationship with Paul D?
3) What is their relationship to each other?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)