|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Paul D imprisoned?
2. What does Beloved do when Denver asks why she didn't cry?
3. What does Paul D manage to do while he is at the carnival?
4. Why does Paul D think Sethe's scar does not look like a tree?
5. What did Baby Suggs do for a living when Sethe arrived at 124?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it significant that Denver looks after Beloved and not Sethe?
2. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
3. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
4. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
5. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
6. Why does Amy consider her self as low in the social scale as slaves when she is white?
7. What is a Sweet Home Man?
8. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
9. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
10. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how a black person was seen during the nineteenth century
1) Before the abolition of slavery
2) Immediately after the abolition of slavery.
3) How long has it taken for white people's negative views of black people to change? How much has it changed?
Essay Topic 2
Paul D, Sethe, and Denver spend a day at the carnival set aside for black people. They enjoy it because they get to laugh at white people.
1) What would you think of white people if you were a black person during this time? Would you hide your feelings?
2) Think about if you were white. How difficult would it be to form a decent opinion of black people when society went out of its way to dehumanize them? Do you think white people's upbringings conditioned them to treat black people so badly?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Baby Suggs.
1) What is her importance to Sethe?
2) Why do some people not like her?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)