|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Toni Morrison say people can cope with loneliness?
(a) By rocking in the fetal position
(b) By living in the city
(c) By talking to oneself
(d) By socializing
2. Why does Morrison say Sethe, Denver, and Paul D forget Beloved?
(a) Because she feeds on their anxiety
(b) Because it is better than remembering her
(c) Because when they remember she appears
(d) Because she was nothing but trouble
3. Where does Paul D work?
(a) A factory
(b) A nursery
(c) A slaughterhouse
(d) A hospital
4. What fact does Beloved remember about a dead man?
(a) That he had pink eyes
(b) That he had claws
(c) That he had sharp teeth
(d) That he had no skin
5. Who does Paul D say he envies?
(a) Stamp Paid
(d) A family of slaves that managed to stay together
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of pies does Sethe make?
2. What does Paul D do when Sethe says there was not another way?
3. Who arrives at 124 at the beginning of the chapter?
4. Who does Paul D say has offered him a place to stay?
5. What can Stamp Paid hear around the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
2. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
3. How does this chapter move around the thoughts of the three women?
4. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
5. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
6. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
7. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
8. What does the black statue outside the Bodwin's signify?
9. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
10. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)