|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Toni Morrison say people can cope with loneliness?
(a) By socializing
(b) By rocking in the fetal position
(c) By living in the city
(d) By talking to oneself
2. How does the chapter begin?
(a) Sethe is telling Beloved a story
(b) Beloved and Denver are deep into a conversation
(c) Beloved is thinking to herself
(d) Denver is dancing
3. Who does Denver think Beloved is?
(a) Her sister
(b) Her cousin
(c) Her friend
(d) Her aunt
4. What does Sethe tell Beloved she did with the men without skin?
(a) Tortured them
(b) Ran them off
(c) Killed them
(d) Laughed at them
5. What was the first thing Denver heard after she went deaf?
(a) Paul D laughing
(b) Beloved crying
(c) The baby's ghost climbing the stairs
(d) A cat whining
Short Answer Questions
1. In what style is this chapter written?
2. Whose story does the novel turn back to in chapter 15?
3. What does Denver say she drank from Sethe's nipple?
4. Who does Paul D say has offered him a place to stay?
5. What does Beloved say came to mix the men with the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
2. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
3. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
4. Why does Stamp ask about a woman he does not know?
5. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
6. How does this chapter move around the thoughts of the three women?
7. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
8. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
9. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
10. Why does Sethe want to kill her children?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)