|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stops Sethe from killing Denver?
(b) The Schoolteacher
(c) Stamp Paid
(d) Paul D
2. What type of alcohol is Paul D drinking?
3. How does Sethe know Beloved is her child?
(a) Because of the scar on the back of her neck
(b) Because she has shown Sethe her birth certificate.
(c) Because she is the spitting image of her father
(d) Because she looks like Sethe
4. Who does Denver believe is coming to see her?
(b) Baby Suggs
(c) Mrs. Garner
(d) The schoolteacher
5. When do the footprints disappear?
(a) When it rains
(b) When people step in them
(c) When they begin forgetting
(d) When it snows
Short Answer Questions
1. What sometimes appears by the stream behind the house?
2. What is the newspaper article about?
3. Why does Morrison say Sethe, Denver, and Paul D forget Beloved?
4. What does Sethe say that trying to kill her children prevented from happening?
5. In what style is this chapter written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
2. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
3. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
4. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
5. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
6. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
7. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
8. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
9. Why does Paul D mention that Sethe has two legs?
10. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)