|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people come to the party?
2. What has Sethe done to her baby?
(a) Cut out her eyes
(b) Drowned her
(c) Cut her throat
(d) Hung her
3. Who arrives to take Sethe back to Sweethome?
(a) Mr and Mrs Garner
(b) The sherriff and his wife
(c) The sherriff, the schoolteacher, and the schoolteacher's nephew
(d) The sherriff and his cousin
4. How does the chapter begin?
(a) Sethe is telling Beloved a story
(b) Denver is dancing
(c) Beloved is thinking to herself
(d) Beloved and Denver are deep into a conversation
5. What kind of men does Beloved remember bringing her food and water?
(b) Men without skin
(c) Men without arms
(d) Men without legs
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stamp Paid think that nobody warned Sethe about the men coming to take her back to Sweet Home?
2. Who does Stamp Paid say managed to punch Sethe and get her down?
3. Whose story does the novel turn back to in chapter 15?
4. What sometimes appears by the stream behind the house?
5. What is the newspaper article about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
2. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
3. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
4. How does this chapter move around the thoughts of the three women?
5. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
6. What do the diamonds signify in the water?
7. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
8. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
9. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
10. Why does Stamp ask about a woman he does not know?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)