|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sethe try to kill Denver?
(a) By swinging her at a wooden beam
(b) By dropping her from a great height
(c) By throwing her into the river
(d) By pouring boiling water over her
2. Who was the woman that Beloved saw putting leaves in a basket?
(b) Baby Suggs
3. Why does Stamp feel guilty?
(a) For leaving his wife
(b) For telling Paul D about Sethe
(c) For knocking over a child on his horse
(d) For killing his slave owner
4. Why does Morrison say Sethe, Denver, and Paul D forget Beloved?
(a) Because she feeds on their anxiety
(b) Because it is better than remembering her
(c) Because when they remember she appears
(d) Because she was nothing but trouble
5. What sometimes appears by the stream behind the house?
(b) Beloved's fingerprints
(d) Beloved's footprints
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul D say he envies?
2. What does Paul D tell Stamp Paid he does not want to see anymore of?
3. Where does the Sheriff and his friends find Sethe?
4. What happened to Beloved when Sethe became thinner?
5. Who does Baby Suggs hope to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dose Sethe mean when she says "Me, me"?
2. What do you think the footprints by the stream mean?
3. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
4. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
5. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
6. What does the red ribbon Stamp carries around symbolize?
7. Why does Stamp Paid show Paul D the article about Sethe?
8. Why do you think Denver does not want to hear Sethe's stories?
9. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
10. What do you think the single, unbroken paragraph in chapter twenty signifies?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)