|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Baby Suggs turn the outside kitchen into?
(a) A TV room
(b) A store house
(c) A woodshed
(d) A cold house
2. When do the footprints disappear?
(a) When they begin forgetting
(b) When people step in them
(c) When it rains
(d) When it snows
3. What does Sethe say that trying to kill her children prevented from happening?
(a) Her children having to see a white face
(b) Her children being raped
(c) Her children having to go back to Sweet Home
(d) Her children's souls from dying.
4. Why did Sethe get fired?
(a) She stopped going into work
(b) She threw a plate at a customer
(c) She was consistently late
(d) She did not smile
5. Why does Morrison say Sethe, Denver, and Paul D forget Beloved?
(a) Because it is better than remembering her
(b) Because she was nothing but trouble
(c) Because when they remember she appears
(d) Because she feeds on their anxiety
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to talk to Paul D?
2. What has Sethe spent all her savings on?
3. Who are the only three people in this chapter?
4. What kind of pies does Sethe make?
5. Whose body does Stamp say he had to carry out of 124?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul D and Paid Stamp's gallow humor signify?
2. Why does Sethe refuse to clean the blood from her nipple?
3. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
4. Why do you think Sixo yells out "Seven-O, Seven-O"?
5. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
6. Why did Sethe's sons leave to fight in the Civil War?
7. Why do Sethe and Denver need Beloved to be theirs?
8. In chapter twenty-two what do you think Beloved's story is about?
9. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
10. Why do you think Halle smears butter over his face?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)