|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Denver miss her baby sister?
(a) She has no one to tease.
(b) She has no one to play with.
(c) She has no one to talk to.
(d) She took pride in the way people feared her house.
2. How many of Baby Suggs' sons ran away?
3. Why is Denver jealous of Paul D?
(a) Because he is popular in town
(b) Becasue he is taking Sethe's attention away
(c) Because he has a bicycle
(d) Because he is better looking
4. What does Amy make Sethe the morning after the birth?
(a) A pair of shoes
(b) A necklace
(c) A bracelet
5. Where was Paul D imprisoned?
(c) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Garners pride themselves in doing?
2. What does Paul presume Beloved is?
3. Who does Sethe think Beloved hates?
4. When did Miss Bodwin give Denver the perfume?
5. Where did Baby Suggs go to preach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
2. Is it significant that Denver looks after Beloved and not Sethe?
3. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
4. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
5. Why does Amy consider her self as low in the social scale as slaves when she is white?
6. Why does Paul question his manhood?
7. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
8. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
9. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
10. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)