|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Sethe's mother in-law?
(a) Mrs. Garner
(d) Baby Suggs
2. How do the guards wake the men up in the Georgia prison?
(a) To the sound of rifles
(b) By shouting in their ears
(c) By pushing over the boxes
(d) By hitting them over the head
3. Who owned Sweet Home?
(a) The Garners
(c) Baby Suggs
(d) The Fords
4. Why are Denver and Sethe so surprised that the woman is called Beloved?
(a) Because it was Sethe's name when she was at the plantation
(b) Because they did not think Beloved was a real name
(c) Because it is a white person's name
(d) Because it is the name of Sethe's dead daughter
5. What did Baby Suggs do for a living when Sethe arrived at 124?
(a) She was a preacher
(b) She played golf
(c) She was a house servant
(d) She was a cook
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Denver have a secret spot where she can hide?
2. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe for wanting a wedding?
3. Where was Paul D imprisoned?
4. What is the name of the plantation where Paul D and Sethe first met?
5. What does Beloved wonder about herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
2. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
3. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
4. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
5. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
6. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
7. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
8. Is it significant that Denver looks after Beloved and not Sethe?
9. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
10. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)