|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Miss Bodwin give Denver the perfume?
(a) On Christmas Day
(b) On Independence Day
(c) During the Civil War
(d) During the American Revolution
2. Who gave Denver her perfume?
(a) Miss Bodwin
(b) Baby Suggs
(d) Paul D
3. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe for wanting a wedding?
(a) Slaves are banned from having weddings.
(b) She thinks slaves do not have human desires such as wanting a wedding.
(c) She thinks Sethe is too unattractive to ever find husband.
(d) Sethe does not have the money for a wedding.
4. Who does Denver think Beloved is?
(a) Her dead sister
(b) Baby Suggs
(c) A prophet
(d) Her aunt
5. What did Baby Suggs do for a living when Sethe arrived at 124?
(a) She was a preacher
(b) She was a cook
(c) She played golf
(d) She was a house servant
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul D end up telling Sethe?
2. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D?
3. What does Amy make Sethe the morning after the birth?
4. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
5. Why is Sethe angry with Paul D?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
2. What is a Sweet Home Man?
3. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
4. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
5. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
6. Why does Denver deny that she saw Beloved pick up a chair?
7. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
8. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
9. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
10. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)