|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sethe angry with Paul D?
(a) Because he was disppointing in bed
(b) Because he has no money
(c) Because he does not like her scar
(d) Because he has cast out the ghost
2. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
(a) That they were tigers
(b) That they may as well be dead
(c) That they weren't men
(d) That they were free
3. What does Denver say she saw holding Sethe?
(a) A white dress
(b) A ghost
(c) A Spirit
(d) A black dress
4. How many of Baby Suggs' sons died?
5. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe for wanting a wedding?
(a) She thinks Sethe is too unattractive to ever find husband.
(b) Sethe does not have the money for a wedding.
(c) She thinks slaves do not have human desires such as wanting a wedding.
(d) Slaves are banned from having weddings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Denver want from Beloved?
2. What does Paul presume Beloved is?
3. How do the guards wake the men up in the Georgia prison?
4. Who does Denver think Beloved is?
5. How many other slaves is Paul D locked up with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
2. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
3. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
4. Why do you think Mrs. Garner laughs at Sethe when she asks if she can have a proper wedding?
5. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
6. Why does Paul question his manhood?
7. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
8. Why do you think Denver is so jealous of Paul D's presence?
9. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
10. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)