|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the guards wake the men up in the Georgia prison?
(a) By pushing over the boxes
(b) By shouting in their ears
(c) To the sound of rifles
(d) By hitting them over the head
2. Who does Beloved say is the only person she needs to have?
(a) Baby Suggs
(b) Paul D
3. What does Sethe remember Baby Suggs telling her?
(a) To have children
(b) To give up the war
(c) To move back to her homeland
(d) To get married
4. What does Paul D manage to do while he is at the carnival?
(a) Steal some money
(b) Find a job
(c) Secure a loan
(d) Make a few contacts for possible jobs
5. How many other slaves is Paul D locked up with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happen after Paul D has spent 86 days at the camp?
2. How many of Baby Suggs' sons ran away?
3. What is the name of the plantation where Paul D and Sethe first met?
4. Where do the guards lock Paul D and the other men at night?
5. Why does Paul D think Sethe's scar does not look like a tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
2. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
3. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
4. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
5. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
6. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
7. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
8. What is a Sweet Home Man?
9. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
10. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)