|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sethe think happened to Beloved?
(a) She was impregnated by a white man
(b) She ran away from her owner
(c) She was imprisoned
(d) She was locked up by a white man
2. What did Baby Suggs do for a living when Sethe arrived at 124?
(a) She was a preacher
(b) She played golf
(c) She was a cook
(d) She was a house servant
3. What did Halle smear on his face?
(d) Horse dung
4. Who is Beloved fascinated by?
(b) Baby Suggs
(c) Paul D
5. What does the woman say her name is?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Denver tells the story of her birth?
2. What did Sethe tell Amy her real name was?
3. Where does Paul D remember meeting fellow slaves?
4. How many years is its since Sethe's baby died?
5. Why are Denver and Sethe so surprised that the woman is called Beloved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
2. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
3. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
4. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
5. Why do you think Mrs. Garner laughs at Sethe when she asks if she can have a proper wedding?
6. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
7. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
8. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
9. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
10. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)