|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beloved say it is like where she comes from?
2. Why did the perfume bottle break?
(a) Denver threw it against a tree
(b) Sete stood on it
(c) Denver dropped it.
(d) Because the perfume froze
3. What does Denver decide not to tell her mother?
(a) Beloved is trying to kill Paul
(b) Beloved's visits to Paul D in the coldhouse
(c) Beloved is a murderer
(d) Beloved is a ghost
4. When did Miss Bodwin give Denver the perfume?
(a) During the American Revolution
(b) During the Civil War
(c) On Christmas Day
(d) On Independence Day
5. Why could Paul not help his friend?
(a) He was wearing a bit in his mouth.
(b) He was being beaten at the time.
(c) He was chained up.
(d) He was not there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul presume Beloved is?
2. What did Halle smear on his face?
3. Who does Sethe think about after she has sex with Paul D?
4. What did the Garners pride themselves in doing?
5. Where does Paul D sleep after he is tired of sleeping in Baby Suggs' bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Sweet Home Man?
2. Why does Morrison use stream of consciousness in this chapter to express Sethe's thoughts?
3. Why does Paul D mention that Sethe has two legs?
4. Is Paul D in denial that it is Sethe in the photograph?
5. Why do you think think that the slaves take names such as Baby Suggs?
6. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
7. How does this chapter move around the thoughts of the three women?
8. Why do you think Mrs. Garner laughs at Sethe when she asks if she can have a proper wedding?
9. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
10. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)