|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Halle smear on his face?
(c) Horse dung
2. Why does Sethe remember Howard?
(a) He had an oddly shaped head.
(b) He had a huge nose.
(c) He had a beaming smile.
(d) He had big cow like eyes.
3. How do the guards wake the men up in the Georgia prison?
(a) By pushing over the boxes
(b) By hitting them over the head
(c) By shouting in their ears
(d) To the sound of rifles
4. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe?
(a) Because she asks if she can have a wedding
(b) She falls and breaks her leg
(c) She asks if she can have a holiday
(d) She falls pregnant
5. Who owned Sweet Home?
(a) The Garners
(b) The Fords
(c) Baby Suggs
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beloved do when Denver asks why she didn't cry?
2. What did Denver used to hide from?
3. What does Denver ask Beloved after Beloved has pulled out her tooth?
4. What did the Garners pride themselves in doing?
5. What is the name of Sethe's mother in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
2. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
3. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
4. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
5. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
6. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
7. Why is Denver convinced that Beloved is her sister?
8. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
9. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
10. Is it significant that Denver looks after Beloved and not Sethe?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)