|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why could Paul not help his friend?
(a) He was wearing a bit in his mouth.
(b) He was being beaten at the time.
(c) He was not there.
(d) He was chained up.
2. Who does Sethe think about after she has sex with Paul D?
(c) Mr. Garner
3. What did Halle smear on his face?
(c) Horse dung
4. Where does Beloved work?
(a) A bar
(b) A factory
(c) A restaurant
(d) A cafe
5. Where was Paul D imprisoned?
(b) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the guards wake the men up in the Georgia prison?
2. What is the name of the plantation where Paul D and Sethe first met?
3. What did Mr. Garner trust about his slaves?
4. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe for wanting a wedding?
5. Where does Denver have a secret spot where she can hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
2. What is a Sweet Home Man?
3. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
4. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
5. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
6. Why is Denver convinced that Beloved is her sister?
7. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
8. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
9. In what way does the seventh chapter show the horrors of slavery?
10. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)