|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pierced Sethe's ears?
(c) Baby Suggs
2. Why are Denver and Sethe so surprised that the woman is called Beloved?
(a) Because they did not think Beloved was a real name
(b) Because it is a white person's name
(c) Because it was Sethe's name when she was at the plantation
(d) Because it is the name of Sethe's dead daughter
3. Where does the woman come out from?
(a) The water
(b) A hole in the sky
(c) The ground
(d) The woods
4. What happened to Sethe's mother?
(a) She married a slave owner
(b) She was imprisoned
(c) She was hung
(d) She ran away back to her homeland
5. What did Sethe tell Amy her real name was?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beloved say is the only person she needs to have?
2. Where do the guards lock Paul D and the other men at night?
3. What does Paul D manage to do while he is at the carnival?
4. Who does Sethe think Beloved hates?
5. Where does Beloved work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Denver stepping out of the house signify?
2. Do you think a white family would take in a white man as a black family would take in a black man?
3. What does the fact Stamp hears dead black people signify?
4. What does Sethe walking around in circles symbolize?
5. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
6. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
7. Why do the other ex-slaves hate Baby Suggs so much?
8. Why does Morrison say loneliness can be dealt with by rocking in a fetal position?
9. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
10. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)