|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Baby Suggs go to preach?
(a) A barn
(b) A church
(c) A friend's house
(d) A clearing
2. What does Sethe remember Baby Suggs telling her?
(a) To have children
(b) To give up the war
(c) To get married
(d) To move back to her homeland
3. What happens as Denver tells the story of her birth?
(a) It comes alive before her eyes
(b) Beloved faints
(c) Her mother begins to scream
(d) Beloved falls into a trance
4. What did the Garners pride themselves in doing?
(a) Allowing their slaves into town
(b) Paying their slaves
(c) Allowing their slaves to marry
(d) Making their slaves into men
5. What does Beloved do when Denver asks why she didn't cry?
(a) She laughs
(b) She slaps Denver across the cheek
(c) She cries
(d) She chokes
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Denver and Sethe so surprised that the woman is called Beloved?
2. Who does Baby Suggs claim is the only bad luck in the world?
3. What does Paul D think Beloved is doing to him?
4. What does Paul D decide to tell Sethe?
5. What does Beloved ask Paul D?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Amy consider her self as low in the social scale as slaves when she is white?
2. What do you think Baby Suggs meant by giving up the war?
3. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
4. What is a Sweet Home Man?
5. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
6. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
7. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
8. Why do you think Mrs. Garner laughs at Sethe when she asks if she can have a proper wedding?
9. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
10. Why does Paul question his manhood?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)