|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why could Paul not help his friend?
(a) He was being beaten at the time.
(b) He was chained up.
(c) He was wearing a bit in his mouth.
(d) He was not there.
2. What is the name of the plantation where Paul D and Sethe first met?
(a) Sweet Home
(b) Peace and Understanding
(c) All You Need
(d) Home Comfort
3. Why does Denver miss her baby sister?
(a) She has no one to tease.
(b) She took pride in the way people feared her house.
(c) She has no one to talk to.
(d) She has no one to play with.
4. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe for wanting a wedding?
(a) Slaves are banned from having weddings.
(b) She thinks slaves do not have human desires such as wanting a wedding.
(c) Sethe does not have the money for a wedding.
(d) She thinks Sethe is too unattractive to ever find husband.
5. What does Paul presume Beloved is?
(a) A mental patient
(b) An escaped slave
(c) A prophet
(d) A ghost
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Paul D imprisoned?
2. What does Sethe say Paul D is not allowed to do?
3. Where does Beloved work?
4. How many years is its since Sethe's baby died?
5. Who does Beloved say is the only person she needs to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
2. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
3. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
4. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
5. Why is it significant that Beloved pulls out a tooth?
6. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
7. Why do you think Paul D keeps on saying "red heart"?
8. In what way does the seventh chapter show the horrors of slavery?
9. Why do think Paul thinks that Beloved is moving him around the house?
10. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)