|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Paul D take Sethe and Denver?
(a) To the cinema
(b) To a carnival
(c) To a fun fair
(d) To the theatre
2. Why does Denver miss her baby sister?
(a) She has no one to play with.
(b) She took pride in the way people feared her house.
(c) She has no one to tease.
(d) She has no one to talk to.
3. What does Paul D end up telling Sethe?
(a) He thinks Beloved is her dead daughter
(b) He wants to get married
(c) He wants to have a child with her
(d) He has fallen in love with Beloved
4. Why are Denver and Sethe so surprised that the woman is called Beloved?
(a) Because it was Sethe's name when she was at the plantation
(b) Because it is the name of Sethe's dead daughter
(c) Because it is a white person's name
(d) Because they did not think Beloved was a real name
5. When did Miss Bodwin give Denver the perfume?
(a) On Christmas Day
(b) During the Civil War
(c) On Independence Day
(d) During the American Revolution
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could Paul not help his friend?
2. What does Paul notice about Beloved?
3. Where does Paul D sleep after he is tired of sleeping in Baby Suggs' bed?
4. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
5. What happens as Denver tells the story of her birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it significant that Denver's story comes alive?
2. Why do you think Paul D is ready to accept the presence of a ghost in the house?
3. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
4. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
5. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
6. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
7. What is a Sweet Home Man?
8. Is Beloved falling apart like she says?
9. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
10. Why was Sethe so angry about the boys taking her milk?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)