|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sethe think happened to Beloved?
(a) She was imprisoned
(b) She was impregnated by a white man
(c) She ran away from her owner
(d) She was locked up by a white man
2. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D?
(a) Because she thinks Paul D is lying.
(b) Because he did not say anything to help Halle.
(c) Because he did not tell Sethe about Halle sooner.
(d) Because she needs someone to be angry at.
3. Where did Halle and Sethe used to have sex after they were married?
(a) In Mr. and Mrs. Garners bedroom.
(b) In a tree
(c) In a barn
(d) In a cow shed
4. What does Beloved do when Denver asks why she didn't cry?
(a) She chokes
(b) She cries
(c) She slaps Denver across the cheek
(d) She laughs
5. Where does Paul D sleep after he is tired of sleeping in Baby Suggs' bed?
(a) In the kitchen
(b) In the storehouse
(c) In the bath tub
(d) In the coldhouse
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beloved do while sitting in the kitchen with Denver?
2. Why does Denver miss her baby sister?
3. Why does Paul D think he is not really a man?
4. How does Sethe react to Denver asking Paul D how long he is going to stay?
5. Why is Sethe angry with Paul D?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it significant to the story that Sethe was not thrown into the sea unlike the other babies?
2. What do you think the white dress Denver sees signifies?
3. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
4. Why does Denver think that Beloved hates Paul D?
5. Why does Paul call his tobacco tin his heart?
6. Why does Denver not want Sethe to undo her braids?
7. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
8. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
9. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D for casting the ghost out of her house?
10. Why does Denver deny that she saw Beloved pick up a chair?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)