|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years is its since Sethe's baby died?
(a) Nine years
(b) Eight years
(c) Ten years
(d) Five years
2. Why could Paul not help his friend?
(a) He was not there.
(b) He was being beaten at the time.
(c) He was chained up.
(d) He was wearing a bit in his mouth.
3. What does Sethe remember Baby Suggs telling her?
(a) To give up the war
(b) To have children
(c) To get married
(d) To move back to her homeland
4. Where do the guards lock Paul D and the other men at night?
(a) In coffins
(b) In toilet cubicles
(c) In a prison cell
(d) In wooden boxes
5. Where did Baby Suggs go to preach?
(a) A friend's house
(b) A barn
(c) A clearing
(d) A church
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sethe angry with Paul D?
2. Why did the perfume bottle break?
3. What is the name of Sethe's daughter?
4. What does Beloved ask Sethe about?
5. What did Denver used to hide from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Georgia the most notorious slave state in the Union?
2. Why do you think Sethe's scar disgusts Paul D so much?
3. Why does Denver ask Beloved if she saw Jesus?
4. Why do you think Paul D says it is a bad idea for an ex-slave to love his children so much?
5. Why do you think the town is so angry at Sethe?
6. Do you think it is important that Sethe's scar resembles a tree?
7. Why does Denver deny that she saw Beloved pick up a chair?
8. How is it significant that Baby Suggs preached in churches regardless of domination?
9. How has the ghost affected Sethe's life?
10. In the seventh chapter, Beloved chokes on a raisin, and again it is Denver who takes her upstairs. Why do you think at this point Denver is still so attentive towards Beloved's needs?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)