|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose face is that Beloved thinks she has lost?
(a) Baby Suggs's
2. What is Beloved doing when the rain falls?
(b) Climbing onto a roof
(d) Standing on a bridge
3. Who was the woman that Beloved saw putting leaves in a basket?
(d) Baby Suggs
4. What two characters does Beloved have separate conversations with in this chapter?
(a) Denver and Janey
(b) Paul D and Sethe
(c) Stamp Paid and Denver
(d) Denver and Sethe
5. What is the newspaper article about?
(a) Sethe saving a drowning dog
(b) Sethe murdering her child
(c) Sethe getting married
(d) Sethe escaping from Sweet Home
6. Who does Baby Suggs hope to see?
(c) Paul D
7. Who does Paul say badly abused the slaves at Sweet Home?
(a) Mrs. Garner
(b) The schoolteacher
(c) The Sheriff
(d) Mr. Garner
8. What does Paul D wonder aloud?
(a) If there was any other way
(b) If Sethe is crazy
(c) If Sethe really loved her children
(d) If Beloved is her dead daughter
9. Who does the man on the horse ask for?
(a) Baby Suggs
10. What sort of building is Paul D sitting outside of?
(a) A factory
(b) A store
(c) A restaurant
(d) A church
11. Why did Paul D leave the Union army?
(a) They tortured blackmen
(b) He did nothing but cook and polish shoes
(c) They would not give blackmen rifles
(d) They tried to hang him
12. Who arrives after the sheriff has taken Sethe away?
(a) A peddlar
(c) A preacher
(d) Two children delivering shoes
13. Why does Sethe think she does not have to explain anything to Beloved?
(a) Because she tried to save her from a life of misery
(b) Because she is her mother
(c) Because she came back under her own free will
(d) Because she is a ghost
14. What does Paul D do when Sethe says there was not another way?
(a) Punch the wall
(c) Hit her
(d) Leave the house
15. What does Sethe say that trying to kill her children prevented from happening?
(a) Her children being raped
(b) Her children having to go back to Sweet Home
(c) Her children's souls from dying.
(d) Her children having to see a white face
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the people who went to the party so upset?
2. Why are Sethe and Beloved trying to gather strength?
3. Who comes back to 124 at the beginning of this chapter?
4. How does the chapter begin?
5. How does Sethe know Beloved is her child?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)