|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two characters does Beloved have separate conversations with in this chapter?
(a) Stamp Paid and Denver
(b) Denver and Sethe
(c) Denver and Janey
(d) Paul D and Sethe
2. Where does the Sheriff and his friends find Sethe?
(a) In the barn
(b) In the woodshed
(c) In the cold house
(d) In Baby Suggs' bedroom
3. When do the footprints disappear?
(a) When it rains
(b) When it snows
(c) When people step in them
(d) When they begin forgetting
4. Why can't Stamp Paid tell Paul D that he saw Sethe take her children into the woodshed?
(a) Because he doesn't think Paul will believe him
(b) Out of loyalty to Sethe
(c) Because Paul is too sensitive
(d) Because Paul D keeps denying the photograph is of Sethe
5. Who comes back to 124 at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Paul D
(b) The Sheriff
(c) Stamp Paid
(d) Baby Suggs
6. What does Sethe say that trying to kill her children prevented from happening?
(a) Her children being raped
(b) Her children having to go back to Sweet Home
(c) Her children's souls from dying.
(d) Her children having to see a white face
7. What war did Denver's brother leave to fight in?
(a) The Boers War
(b) World War One
(c) The American Revolution
(d) The Civil War
8. Why don't the party goers like Baby Suggs?
(a) She sucked up to white folk
(b) She murdered her children
(c) Because she has an easy life by their standards
(d) She is an informer
9. Why does Paul D think the article must be sensational?
(a) Because the headline says sensational
(b) Because it has Sethe's picture
(c) Because it has to be in order to attract a white audience
(d) Because newspapers are always sensational
10. Why does Sethe think she does not have to explain anything to Beloved?
(a) Because she came back under her own free will
(b) Because she is her mother
(c) Because she is a ghost
(d) Because she tried to save her from a life of misery
11. Who does Denver think Beloved is?
(a) Her friend
(b) Her sister
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her aunt
12. What does Denver say she drank from Sethe's nipple?
(b) Beloved's blood
13. How does Sethe know Beloved is her child?
(a) Because of the scar on the back of her neck
(b) Because she is the spitting image of her father
(c) Because she has shown Sethe her birth certificate.
(d) Because she looks like Sethe
14. Why are the people who went to the party so upset?
(a) Because they had fun at Baby Suggs's house
(b) They were sent home too early
(c) The pies were awful
(d) Sethe is not a nice person
15. What does Paul D wonder aloud?
(a) If Sethe really loved her children
(b) If Beloved is her dead daughter
(c) If there was any other way
(d) If Sethe is crazy
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stamp Paid say managed to punch Sethe and get her down?
2. Who does the man on the horse ask for?
3. What kind of pies does Sethe make?
4. What does Morrison say the wind is?
5. How many people come to the party?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)