|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stamp Paid think that nobody warned Sethe about the men coming to take her back to Sweet Home?
(a) Because the men had paid them to keep quiet
(b) Because they thought Baby Suggs was putting on airs
(c) Because they were afraid
(d) Because they didn't like Sethe
2. Who does Paul D say had all the good ideas?
(a) Stamp Paid
3. Where does the man on the horse say Judy lives?
(a) Wood Street
(b) Bluestone Rd.
(c) Plank Rd.
(d) Blues Row
4. Who meets Paul D at 124?
(b) Stamp Paid
(d) Mr Bodwin
5. Why does Morrison say Sethe, Denver, and Paul D forget Beloved?
(a) Because she feeds on their anxiety
(b) Because she was nothing but trouble
(c) Because it is better than remembering her
(d) Because when they remember she appears
6. Why does the man chastise Paul D?
(a) Because he is drinking in front of the church
(b) Because he looks miserable
(c) Because he does not have a job
(d) Because he is a black man in a white neighborhood
7. Whose body does Stamp say he had to carry out of 124?
(a) The schoolteacher's nephew's
(b) Baby Suggs
8. What does Sethe tell Paul in the end?
(a) That she couldn't afford to keep her babies
(b) That she loved her babies too much to allow them to live in such a world
(c) That she tried to take her babies somewhere safe
(d) That she was afraid the white people would kill her babies
9. What does Beloved say came to mix the men with the women?
(a) A storm
(b) A tornado
(c) A hurricaine
(d) A group of slave hunters
10. Who does Stamp Paid say managed to punch Sethe and get her down?
11. What does Denver say she drank from Sethe's nipple?
(c) Beloved's blood
12. Why are the people who went to the party so upset?
(a) Because they had fun at Baby Suggs's house
(b) Sethe is not a nice person
(c) They were sent home too early
(d) The pies were awful
13. Who does Baby Suggs hope to see?
(a) Paul D
14. Who does Denver think Beloved is?
(a) Her cousin
(b) Her aunt
(c) Her friend
(d) Her sister
15. Who arrives to take Sethe back to Sweethome?
(a) The sherriff and his wife
(b) The sherriff and his cousin
(c) The sherriff, the schoolteacher, and the schoolteacher's nephew
(d) Mr and Mrs Garner
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul D say has offered him a place to stay?
2. Why does Stamp have trouble knocking at Sethe's door?
3. How does Toni Morrison say people can cope with loneliness?
4. Who stops Sethe from killing Denver?
5. Why are Sethe and Beloved trying to gather strength?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)