|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Beloved's face occasionally appear?
(a) In the sky
(b) In a photograph
(c) In the river
(d) In the newspaper
2. Why does Sethe think she does not have to explain anything to Beloved?
(a) Because she came back under her own free will
(b) Because she is a ghost
(c) Because she is her mother
(d) Because she tried to save her from a life of misery
3. Who does the man on the horse ask for?
(b) Baby Suggs
4. Who are the only three people in this chapter?
(a) Beloved, Sethe and Stamp Paid
(b) Beloved, Denver and Paul D
(c) Beloved, Stamp Paid and Paul D
(d) Beloved, Denver and Sethe
5. What can Stamp Paid hear around the house?
(b) A swirling wind
(d) Strange voices
6. How does Sethe know Beloved is her child?
(a) Because of the scar on the back of her neck
(b) Because she is the spitting image of her father
(c) Because she looks like Sethe
(d) Because she has shown Sethe her birth certificate.
7. What is the newspaper article about?
(a) Sethe saving a drowning dog
(b) Sethe murdering her child
(c) Sethe escaping from Sweet Home
(d) Sethe getting married
8. Who captured him after he left the Union army?
(a) A Slave Hunter
(b) The Ku Klux Klan
(c) The Confederates
(d) The Sheriff of Utah
9. What does Paul D wonder aloud?
(a) If Beloved is her dead daughter
(b) If Sethe really loved her children
(c) If Sethe is crazy
(d) If there was any other way
10. Who stops Sethe from killing Denver?
(a) Paul D
(b) The Schoolteacher
(c) Stamp Paid
11. What did Baby Suggs turn the outside kitchen into?
(a) A store house
(b) A TV room
(c) A woodshed
(d) A cold house
12. Who does Paul D say he envies?
(b) A family of slaves that managed to stay together
(d) Stamp Paid
13. How does the chapter begin?
(a) Denver is dancing
(b) Sethe is telling Beloved a story
(c) Beloved and Denver are deep into a conversation
(d) Beloved is thinking to herself
14. What was the first thing Denver heard after she went deaf?
(a) A cat whining
(b) Beloved crying
(c) The baby's ghost climbing the stairs
(d) Paul D laughing
15. What does Paul D do when Sethe says there was not another way?
(b) Hit her
(c) Punch the wall
(d) Leave the house
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Denver say she drank from Sethe's nipple?
2. Who does Denver think Beloved is?
3. Who arrives after the sheriff has taken Sethe away?
4. What war did Denver's brother leave to fight in?
5. Why are the people who went to the party so upset?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)