|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Stamp Paid hear around the house?
(a) Strange voices
(b) A swirling wind
2. Who arrives after the sheriff has taken Sethe away?
(a) Two children delivering shoes
(c) A preacher
(d) A peddlar
3. What sometimes appears by the stream behind the house?
(b) Beloved's footprints
(d) Beloved's fingerprints
4. What was the first thing Denver heard after she went deaf?
(a) Paul D laughing
(b) A cat whining
(c) Beloved crying
(d) The baby's ghost climbing the stairs
5. What does Beloved remember a woman doing?
(a) Giving her a necklace
(c) Putting leaves in a basket
6. Who arrives to take Sethe back to Sweethome?
(a) The sherriff and his cousin
(b) The sherriff, the schoolteacher, and the schoolteacher's nephew
(c) The sherriff and his wife
(d) Mr and Mrs Garner
7. Who are the only three people in this chapter?
(a) Beloved, Denver and Paul D
(b) Beloved, Stamp Paid and Paul D
(c) Beloved, Sethe and Stamp Paid
(d) Beloved, Denver and Sethe
8. Who does Paul D say has offered him a place to stay?
(a) The slaughterhouse owner
(c) The church minister
9. What does Denver dream about Sethe?
(a) That she cuts off her head
(b) That she kills Beloved
(c) That she dies
(d) That she takes her up to heaven
10. What kind of men does Beloved remember bringing her food and water?
(a) Men without arms
(b) Men without legs
(d) Men without skin
11. What does Stamp Paid show Paul D?
(a) A newspaper clipping about Sethe
(b) His scars
(c) A photo of his wife
(d) A letter from his children
12. Who does Stamp Paid say managed to punch Sethe and get her down?
13. Why did Paul D leave the Union army?
(a) They tortured blackmen
(b) They would not give blackmen rifles
(c) They tried to hang him
(d) He did nothing but cook and polish shoes
14. Why does Morrison say Sethe, Denver, and Paul D forget Beloved?
(a) Because she was nothing but trouble
(b) Because it is better than remembering her
(c) Because when they remember she appears
(d) Because she feeds on their anxiety
15. Who does Paul D say had all the good ideas?
(b) Stamp Paid
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Stamp Paid tell Paul D that he saw Sethe take her children into the woodshed?
2. Why does the man chastise Paul D?
3. Who does the man on the horse ask for?
4. Why are the people who went to the party so upset?
5. Who arrives at 124 at the beginning of the chapter?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)