|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sethe try to kill Denver?
(a) By pouring boiling water over her
(b) By swinging her at a wooden beam
(c) By dropping her from a great height
(d) By throwing her into the river
2. Where does Denver initially go for help?
(a) Lady Jones
(b) Stamp Paid
(c) Paul D
(d) The Bodwins
3. Who arrives after the sheriff has taken Sethe away?
(a) Two children delivering shoes
(c) A peddlar
(d) A preacher
4. Where does the Sheriff and his friends find Sethe?
(a) In the barn
(b) In the cold house
(c) In the woodshed
(d) In Baby Suggs' bedroom
5. How does the chapter begin?
(a) Sethe is telling Beloved a story
(b) Beloved and Denver are deep into a conversation
(c) Beloved is thinking to herself
(d) Denver is dancing
6. Where does Paul D work?
(a) A hospital
(b) A nursery
(c) A slaughterhouse
(d) A factory
7. Where does Beloved's face occasionally appear?
(a) In the newspaper
(b) In a photograph
(c) In the sky
(d) In the river
8. How did Mr. Garner die?
(a) A stroke
(b) A heart attack
(c) A broken heart
9. Who meets Paul D at 124?
(a) Mr Bodwin
(c) Stamp Paid
10. Why does Sethe think she does not have to explain anything to Beloved?
(a) Because she is her mother
(b) Because she came back under her own free will
(c) Because she is a ghost
(d) Because she tried to save her from a life of misery
11. Who does Denver think Beloved is?
(a) Her friend
(b) Her sister
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her aunt
12. What does Morrison say the wind is?
(a) Beloved's breath
(b) A floating spirit
(c) The beginnings of a bad storm
(d) Just weather
13. Who captured him after he left the Union army?
(a) The Ku Klux Klan
(b) A Slave Hunter
(c) The Sheriff of Utah
(d) The Confederates
14. What can Stamp Paid hear around the house?
(b) Strange voices
(c) A swirling wind
15. What does Beloved say came to mix the men with the women?
(a) A hurricaine
(b) A tornado
(c) A storm
(d) A group of slave hunters
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stamp Paid say that Sethe tried to stab?
2. Who does Paul D say had all the good ideas?
3. What kind of pies does Sethe make?
4. What sometimes appears by the stream behind the house?
5. Who arrives to talk to Paul D?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)