|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Mr. Garner die?
(a) A stroke
(b) A heart attack
(c) A broken heart
2. What can Stamp Paid hear around the house?
(b) A swirling wind
(c) Strange voices
3. What does Sethe tell Paul in the end?
(a) That she tried to take her babies somewhere safe
(b) That she loved her babies too much to allow them to live in such a world
(c) That she couldn't afford to keep her babies
(d) That she was afraid the white people would kill her babies
4. What is the newspaper article about?
(a) Sethe escaping from Sweet Home
(b) Sethe getting married
(c) Sethe murdering her child
(d) Sethe saving a drowning dog
5. Who are the only three people in this chapter?
(a) Beloved, Denver and Paul D
(b) Beloved, Sethe and Stamp Paid
(c) Beloved, Denver and Sethe
(d) Beloved, Stamp Paid and Paul D
6. Who does Stamp Paid say managed to punch Sethe and get her down?
7. How does Sethe try to kill Denver?
(a) By throwing her into the river
(b) By pouring boiling water over her
(c) By swinging her at a wooden beam
(d) By dropping her from a great height
8. From whose point of view is this chapter written?
(d) Paul D
9. Whose body does Stamp say he had to carry out of 124?
(a) The schoolteacher's nephew's
(d) Baby Suggs
10. How does Toni Morrison say people can cope with loneliness?
(a) By rocking in the fetal position
(b) By socializing
(c) By living in the city
(d) By talking to oneself
11. Who comes back to 124 at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Paul D
(b) The Sheriff
(c) Stamp Paid
(d) Baby Suggs
12. Why did Paul D leave the Union army?
(a) They tortured blackmen
(b) He did nothing but cook and polish shoes
(c) They tried to hang him
(d) They would not give blackmen rifles
13. Whose face is that Beloved thinks she has lost?
(c) Baby Suggs's
14. What sort of building is Paul D sitting outside of?
(a) A store
(b) A restaurant
(c) A factory
(d) A church
15. What is Sethe telling Paul D at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) That she did not kill her child
(b) Why she killed her child
(c) That the photo in the article was not of her
(d) That she loves Paul D
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the party goers like Baby Suggs?
2. Why did Sethe get fired?
3. Why can't Stamp Paid tell Paul D that he saw Sethe take her children into the woodshed?
4. Why does Paul D think the article must be sensational?
5. Who does Paul D say has offered him a place to stay?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)