|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stamp Paid show Paul D?
(a) His scars
(b) A letter from his children
(c) A photo of his wife
(d) A newspaper clipping about Sethe
2. Why are the people who went to the party so upset?
(a) Sethe is not a nice person
(b) The pies were awful
(c) Because they had fun at Baby Suggs's house
(d) They were sent home too early
3. Who meets Paul D at 124?
(c) Mr Bodwin
(d) Stamp Paid
4. What does Beloved remember a woman doing?
(a) Giving her a necklace
(d) Putting leaves in a basket
5. Who does Paul say badly abused the slaves at Sweet Home?
(a) The schoolteacher
(b) Mrs. Garner
(c) The Sheriff
(d) Mr. Garner
6. How does Toni Morrison say people can cope with loneliness?
(a) By talking to oneself
(b) By socializing
(c) By rocking in the fetal position
(d) By living in the city
7. Why does the man chastise Paul D?
(a) Because he looks miserable
(b) Because he is a black man in a white neighborhood
(c) Because he does not have a job
(d) Because he is drinking in front of the church
8. Who stops Sethe from killing Denver?
(a) The Schoolteacher
(b) Stamp Paid
(c) Paul D
9. What is the newspaper article about?
(a) Sethe saving a drowning dog
(b) Sethe getting married
(c) Sethe murdering her child
(d) Sethe escaping from Sweet Home
10. What does Sethe decide about Beloved?
(a) That she is a ghost
(b) That she is her daughter
(c) That she is her enemy
(d) That she wants to kill her
11. Who does Denver believe is coming to see her?
(a) Baby Suggs
(b) Mrs. Garner
(d) The schoolteacher
12. Why did Paul D leave the Union army?
(a) They tried to hang him
(b) He did nothing but cook and polish shoes
(c) They tortured blackmen
(d) They would not give blackmen rifles
13. What does Denver say she drank from Sethe's nipple?
(a) Beloved's blood
14. What did Baby Suggs turn the outside kitchen into?
(a) A store house
(b) A cold house
(c) A woodshed
(d) A TV room
15. What has Sethe spent all her savings on?
(a) Party cakes
(b) Bits of ribbon and clothes for Beloved
(c) A wedding dress
(d) Diamond earrings for Beloved
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul D tell Stamp Paid he does not want to see anymore of?
2. Why does Stamp have trouble knocking at Sethe's door?
3. Why can't Stamp Paid tell Paul D that he saw Sethe take her children into the woodshed?
4. How does the chapter begin?
5. In what style is this chapter written?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)