|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Sethe's mother in-law?
(a) Baby Suggs
(d) Mrs. Garner
2. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
(a) That they may as well be dead
(b) That they were tigers
(c) That they were free
(d) That they weren't men
3. What did Mr. Garner trust about his slaves?
(a) Their honesty
(b) Their work ethic
(c) Their humanity
(d) Their opinion
4. Who does Sethe think about after she has sex with Paul D?
(a) Mr. Garner
5. How long did the man say he would spend chiseling Sethe's daughters gravestone until he would charge for it?
(a) Ten minutes
(b) Five minutes
(c) Twenty minutes
(d) One hour
6. What did Denver used to play in her hiding place?
7. Where does Beloved work?
(a) A factory
(b) A bar
(c) A restaurant
(d) A cafe
8. What does Paul D end up telling Sethe?
(a) He wants to have a child with her
(b) He thinks Beloved is her dead daughter
(c) He wants to get married
(d) He has fallen in love with Beloved
9. Who owned Sweet Home?
(a) The Fords
(b) The Garners
(d) Baby Suggs
10. What does Paul D manage to do while he is at the carnival?
(a) Make a few contacts for possible jobs
(b) Steal some money
(c) Secure a loan
(d) Find a job
11. Why does Paul D think he is not really a man?
(a) He can't perform in bed
(b) He finds other men attractive
(c) He has always had a high voice
(d) Because a young girl has had her way with him
12. Who pierced Sethe's ears?
(c) Baby Suggs
13. Why are Denver and Sethe so surprised that the woman is called Beloved?
(a) Because it is the name of Sethe's dead daughter
(b) Because they did not think Beloved was a real name
(c) Because it is a white person's name
(d) Because it was Sethe's name when she was at the plantation
14. What is the address of Sethe's house?
(a) 135 Rhode Way, Cincinnati, Ohio
(b) 124 Bluemoon Rd, Charlottesville, Ohio
(c) 124 Orangeskies Rd, Cincinnati, Ohio
(d) 124 Bluestone Rd, Cincinnati, Ohio
15. What does Denver want from Beloved?
(a) Her clothes
(b) Her earrings
(c) Her attention
(d) Her shoes
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Miss Bodwin give Denver the perfume?
2. Why is Sethe angry with Paul D?
3. Where does Denver have a secret spot where she can hide?
4. Where was Paul D imprisoned?
5. Why is Sethe angry at Paul D?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)