|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Paul sleep after when he is tired of sleeping on a chair?
(a) In the bath tub
(b) On the floor
(c) On the sofa
(d) In Baby Suggs bed
2. What does Denver say she saw holding Sethe?
(a) A black dress
(b) A ghost
(c) A Spirit
(d) A white dress
3. Who does Baby Suggs claim is the only bad luck in the world?
(a) Black people
(b) Jewish people
(c) White people
(d) Arab people
4. Who pierced Sethe's ears?
(b) Baby Suggs
5. How many other slaves is Paul D locked up with?
6. Why is Sethe angry with Paul D?
(a) Because he has no money
(b) Because he has cast out the ghost
(c) Because he does not like her scar
(d) Because he was disppointing in bed
7. Who owned Sweet Home?
(a) The Garners
(c) The Fords
(d) Baby Suggs
8. What happens as Denver tells the story of her birth?
(a) Beloved falls into a trance
(b) Her mother begins to scream
(c) Beloved faints
(d) It comes alive before her eyes
9. Why could Paul not help his friend?
(a) He was being beaten at the time.
(b) He was wearing a bit in his mouth.
(c) He was not there.
(d) He was chained up.
10. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe?
(a) She falls and breaks her leg
(b) She asks if she can have a holiday
(c) Because she asks if she can have a wedding
(d) She falls pregnant
11. How did the men on the plantation sate their sexual appetite?
(a) They visited prostitutes.
(b) They had sex with calves.
(c) They had sex with sheep.
(d) They had sex with each other.
12. Who does Sethe think about after she has sex with Paul D?
(b) Mr. Garner
13. Who gave Denver her perfume?
(b) Paul D
(c) Baby Suggs
(d) Miss Bodwin
14. Why did Halle break down?
(a) He saw Sethe caressing a white boy.
(b) He saw Sethe being raped in the barn.
(c) He saw Sethe trying to kill their children.
(d) He saw Sethe being beaten.
15. What does Amy make Sethe the morning after the birth?
(a) A bracelet
(b) A pair of shoes
(c) A necklace
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Paul sleep at first?
2. What does Beloved wonder about herself?
3. What does Paul notice about Beloved?
4. How long did the man say he would spend chiseling Sethe's daughters gravestone until he would charge for it?
5. Why does Paul D think Sethe's scar does not look like a tree?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)