|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Denver and Sethe so surprised that the woman is called Beloved?
(a) Because they did not think Beloved was a real name
(b) Because it is the name of Sethe's dead daughter
(c) Because it is a white person's name
(d) Because it was Sethe's name when she was at the plantation
2. What did Mr. Garner trust about his slaves?
(a) Their opinion
(b) Their work ethic
(c) Their humanity
(d) Their honesty
3. How long did the man say he would spend chiseling Sethe's daughters gravestone until he would charge for it?
(a) One hour
(b) Twenty minutes
(c) Ten minutes
(d) Five minutes
4. What did Sethe tell Amy her real name was?
5. What does Sethe say Paul D is not allowed to do?
(a) Yell or punish her daughter
(b) Sleep in the house
(c) Enter her bedroom
6. What does Beloved ask Sethe about?
(a) Her gold necklace
(b) Her diamond earrings
(c) Her scar
(d) Her wedding dress
7. Why is Denver jealous of Paul D?
(a) Because he is better looking
(b) Because he has a bicycle
(c) Because he is popular in town
(d) Becasue he is taking Sethe's attention away
8. Where did Baby Suggs go to preach?
(a) A clearing
(b) A barn
(c) A church
(d) A friend's house
9. Where does Paul D remember meeting fellow slaves?
(a) In a graveyard
(b) Under a tree
(c) In a shed
(d) In a barn
10. Why could Paul not help his friend?
(a) He was not there.
(b) He was chained up.
(c) He was wearing a bit in his mouth.
(d) He was being beaten at the time.
11. Who is the only person Beloved wants to give her attention to?
(a) Baby Suggs
(b) Paul D
12. What does Beloved do when Denver asks why she didn't cry?
(a) She cries
(b) She slaps Denver across the cheek
(c) She laughs
(d) She chokes
13. In what way does Sethe say Halle mistreated her?
(a) He did not show up to run away with her.
(b) He beat her.
(c) He never gave her money.
(d) He mentally tortured her.
14. What does Beloved do while sitting in the kitchen with Denver?
(a) She takes out an eye
(b) She pulls out a tooth
(c) She pulls off a finger nail
(d) She removes her hair
15. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
(a) That they were free
(b) That they were tigers
(c) That they may as well be dead
(d) That they weren't men
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Denver used to hide from?
2. What did Baby Suggs do for a living when Sethe arrived at 124?
3. How do the guards wake the men up in the Georgia prison?
4. Why does Sethe remember Howard?
5. How many of Baby Suggs' sons ran away?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)