|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beloved ask Sethe about?
(a) Her gold necklace
(b) Her diamond earrings
(c) Her wedding dress
(d) Her scar
2. What did the schoolteacher tell Mr. Garner's slaves?
(a) That they were tigers
(b) That they were free
(c) That they weren't men
(d) That they may as well be dead
3. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe?
(a) She falls and breaks her leg
(b) She falls pregnant
(c) She asks if she can have a holiday
(d) Because she asks if she can have a wedding
4. Where did Halle and Sethe used to have sex after they were married?
(a) In a tree
(b) In a cow shed
(c) In a barn
(d) In Mr. and Mrs. Garners bedroom.
5. What does Paul presume Beloved is?
(a) A mental patient
(b) A ghost
(c) A prophet
(d) An escaped slave
6. Who does Beloved say is the only person she needs to have?
(b) Paul D
(c) Baby Suggs
7. What is the name of Sethe's daughter?
(c) Baby Suggs
8. What happen after Paul D has spent 86 days at the camp?
(a) He falls deathly ill
(b) It beins to snow
(c) He kills one of the guards
(d) It begins to rain
9. Why is Denver jealous of Paul D?
(a) Because he is better looking
(b) Becasue he is taking Sethe's attention away
(c) Because he is popular in town
(d) Because he has a bicycle
10. Why does Denver miss her baby sister?
(a) She has no one to play with.
(b) She has no one to talk to.
(c) She took pride in the way people feared her house.
(d) She has no one to tease.
11. How did the men on the plantation sate their sexual appetite?
(a) They had sex with calves.
(b) They visited prostitutes.
(c) They had sex with sheep.
(d) They had sex with each other.
12. Why could Paul not help his friend?
(a) He was being beaten at the time.
(b) He was wearing a bit in his mouth.
(c) He was chained up.
(d) He was not there.
13. What does Beloved say it is like where she comes from?
14. What does Beloved ask Paul D?
(a) To have sex with her
(b) To make her laugh
(c) To leave the house
(d) To kill Sethe
15. How do the guards wake the men up in the Georgia prison?
(a) By hitting them over the head
(b) By shouting in their ears
(c) To the sound of rifles
(d) By pushing over the boxes
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pierced Sethe's ears?
2. What does Denver say she saw holding Sethe?
3. What does Beloved do when Denver asks why she didn't cry?
4. Where is the woman sitting when Sethe, Denver and Paul D arrive back from the carnival?
5. Who does Baby Suggs claim is the only bad luck in the world?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)