|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mr. Garner trust about his slaves?
(a) Their opinion
(b) Their humanity
(c) Their work ethic
(d) Their honesty
2. What happens as Denver tells the story of her birth?
(a) It comes alive before her eyes
(b) Beloved faints
(c) Beloved falls into a trance
(d) Her mother begins to scream
3. Why does Mrs. Garner laugh at Sethe for wanting a wedding?
(a) She thinks Sethe is too unattractive to ever find husband.
(b) Sethe does not have the money for a wedding.
(c) She thinks slaves do not have human desires such as wanting a wedding.
(d) Slaves are banned from having weddings.
4. What is the name of Sethe's dog?
(b) Here Boy
5. Where does Denver have a secret spot where she can hide?
(a) In the woods
(b) By the river
(c) In the attic
(d) In the garden
6. Who is the only person Beloved wants to give her attention to?
(b) Paul D
(d) Baby Suggs
7. Who does Beloved say is the only person she needs to have?
(a) Paul D
(b) Baby Suggs
8. What does Sethe feed outside the back of her workplace?
9. What does Paul notice about Beloved?
(a) She is a ghost
(b) She has no toes
(c) She does not remember her past
(d) That she desires for someone in the house
10. What did Baby Suggs teach?
(a) That white men were evil
(b) That life was to live
(c) That they were human beings
(d) That everyone should be happy with their bodies
11. Why is Sethe angry with Paul D?
(a) Because he has cast out the ghost
(b) Because he was disppointing in bed
(c) Because he does not like her scar
(d) Because he has no money
12. What does Sethe say Paul D is not allowed to do?
(a) Enter her bedroom
(c) Yell or punish her daughter
(d) Sleep in the house
13. How does Sethe react to Denver asking Paul D how long he is going to stay?
(a) She cries
(b) She screams
(c) She is offended
(d) She laughs
14. Where does the woman come out from?
(a) The woods
(b) The ground
(c) The water
(d) A hole in the sky
15. How do the guards wake the men up in the Georgia prison?
(a) By pushing over the boxes
(b) By hitting them over the head
(c) By shouting in their ears
(d) To the sound of rifles
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman say her name is?
2. Why does Paul D think Sethe's scar does not look like a tree?
3. What does Denver ask Beloved after Beloved has pulled out her tooth?
4. What happen after Paul D has spent 86 days at the camp?
5. What does Paul D decide to tell Sethe?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)