|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Denver used to hide from?
(a) Her slave owner's wrath
(b) Her brother's fear
(c) Her mother's nagging
(d) Her stepfather's abuse
2. What does Paul D decide to tell Sethe?
(a) That he doen't want to get a job
(b) That he has been having sex with Beloved
(c) That he wants to marry her
(d) That he want to leave her
3. What did Baby Suggs do for a living when Sethe arrived at 124?
(a) She was a preacher
(b) She was a house servant
(c) She played golf
(d) She was a cook
4. What does Beloved do when Denver asks why she didn't cry?
(a) She laughs
(b) She chokes
(c) She cries
(d) She slaps Denver across the cheek
5. What does Beloved wonder about herself?
(a) If her tooth will grow back
(b) How long she can stay together
(c) If she is really human
(d) How old she is
6. What did Halle smear on his face?
(c) Horse dung
7. What is the name of Sethe's daughter?
(a) Baby Suggs
8. What does Denver decide not to tell her mother?
(a) Beloved is a murderer
(b) Beloved is a ghost
(c) Beloved's visits to Paul D in the coldhouse
(d) Beloved is trying to kill Paul
9. Why did Halle break down?
(a) He saw Sethe being raped in the barn.
(b) He saw Sethe caressing a white boy.
(c) He saw Sethe trying to kill their children.
(d) He saw Sethe being beaten.
10. Why did the perfume bottle break?
(a) Sete stood on it
(b) Because the perfume froze
(c) Denver dropped it.
(d) Denver threw it against a tree
11. Why does Sethe remember Howard?
(a) He had a huge nose.
(b) He had an oddly shaped head.
(c) He had a beaming smile.
(d) He had big cow like eyes.
12. Who does Baby Suggs claim is the only bad luck in the world?
(a) White people
(b) Arab people
(c) Black people
(d) Jewish people
13. How many of Baby Suggs' sons died?
14. What does Beloved say it is like where she comes from?
15. Where does Paul D sleep after he is tired of sleeping in Baby Suggs' bed?
(a) In the coldhouse
(b) In the kitchen
(c) In the bath tub
(d) In the storehouse
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the men on the plantation sate their sexual appetite?
2. What is Beloved doing for Denver upstairs?
3. What does Denver say she saw holding Sethe?
4. Why is Denver jealous of Paul D?
5. Where does Paul sleep after when he is tired of sleeping on a chair?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)