|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buzz want Woodrow to talk about in the classroom?
2. What are Gypsy and Woodrow's roles at the event in #117?
3. Gypsy wants to show her classmates that there is more to her life than ________________.
4. Mrs. Cooper tells Woodrow that Belle once called her a/an _________________-.
5. What did the employees at the hardware store buy for Benny?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gypsy's conversation with Grandpa Ball about beauty give Gypsy a different perspective on which of her parents was more obsessed with it?
2. How does Gypsy's new perception of Blind Benny show how she is maturing?
3. Describe the argument Woodrow and Gypsy have about pretty people getting away with more.
4. What does Blind Benny tell Gypsy about her father that he hopes will comfort her?
5. Describe Woodrow's behavior at the wienie roast and how it reinforces his character.
6. How does Porter try to help Gypsy to be who she is inside instead of being only the beautiful girl on the outside?
7. Describe Woodrow's story of his Aunt Millie at the wienie roast.
8. Describe Woodrow's use of mind control over Mrs. Cooper at the Summer Social Garden Party hosted by the Balls.
9. Why is Woodrow looking through the personal ads in the newspaper while sitting in the tree house?
10. How does Woodrow's use of mind control help him get back at Mrs. Cooper for her mean-spirited attacks on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two instances about beauty in the book, and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Blind Benny. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Blind Benny's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Gypsy learns from Woodrow? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Gypsy always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)