|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gypsy do in a rage when thinking about finding her father dead?
2. Woodrow gets some satisfaction that Buzz will get a payback for being mean when he notes that Buzz is sitting in a _________________________.
3. What are Gypsy and Woodrow's roles at the event in #117?
4. Where did Blind Benny and Amos become friends?
5. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic that Gypsy has just as Belle did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gypsy do at home after her memory of finding her father after he had committed suicide?
2. Explain how Porter's love for Gypsy comes through related to her severely cutting her hair.
3. How does Porter help Gypsy face her grief over her father's suicide?
4. Who built the tree house for Gypsy and what significance does it have in her life regarding her memories of her father?
5. Explain how Amos and Love have been good to Blind Benny.
6. What does Gypsy learn from Grandpa Ball about why Love will not allow Gypsy to get her hair cut?
7. How does Gypsy's relationship with Porter begun to change as she changes her perspective on many things?
8. How does Gypsy's conversation with Grandpa Ball about beauty give Gypsy a different perspective on which of her parents was more obsessed with it?
9. Describe the argument Woodrow and Gypsy have about pretty people getting away with more.
10. What recurring theme of the book resurfaces with the introduction of Blind Benny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Porter. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Gypsy. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth White is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)