|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woodrow say is the moral of the story of the young woman who was killed by the farmer?
2. Woodrow thinks that pretty people ________________________.
3. How did Gypsy's father kill himself?
4. Woodrow tells a story about his ___________________ who was buried alive.
5. What are Gypsy and Woodrow's roles at the event in #117?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Amos and Love have been good to Blind Benny.
2. How does Porter help Gypsy face her grief over her father's suicide?
3. How does Porter try to help Gypsy to be who she is inside instead of being only the beautiful girl on the outside?
4. How does Woodrow's use of mind control help him get back at Mrs. Cooper for her mean-spirited attacks on him?
5. Describe Woodrow's use of mind control over Mrs. Cooper at the Summer Social Garden Party hosted by the Balls.
6. Describe Woodrow's behavior at the wienie roast and how it reinforces his character.
7. What is Grandpa Ball's opinion of why Belle moved into the mountains as a young woman and what impact that had on her relationships with people in the outside world?
8. Describe Woodrow's story of his Aunt Millie at the wienie roast.
9. What recurring theme of the book resurfaces with the introduction of Blind Benny?
10. How does Gypsy's reaction to the trick he played on Mrs. Cooper different from how the adults react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two instances about beauty in the book, and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Gypsy learns from Woodrow? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Gypsy always recall about her experiences during her twelfth summer?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Woodrow. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)