|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Blind Benny and Amos become friends?
2. Special guests of the event in #117 are five __________________.
3. When Gypsy does not like a song that comes on the television, Woodrow states that she doesn't like it because ____________________.
4. Woodrow tells Gypsy that he and his mother had been saving money for ___________________.
5. What does Woodrow tell the class about his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Woodrow will soon have a chance to show his outer beauty just as Gypsy is getting the chance to exhibit her internal beauty.
2. How was Amos' love of beauty destructive for him and his daughter?
3. How does Porter try to help Gypsy to be who she is inside instead of being only the beautiful girl on the outside?
4. How does Gypsy's new perception of Blind Benny show how she is maturing?
5. Describe Woodrow's story of his Aunt Millie at the wienie roast.
6. What does Gypsy do at home after her memory of finding her father after he had committed suicide?
7. Explain how Porter's love for Gypsy comes through related to her severely cutting her hair.
8. What does Blind Benny tell Gypsy about her father that he hopes will comfort her?
9. How does Gypsy's reaction to the trick he played on Mrs. Cooper different from how the adults react to it?
10. How does Gypsy's relationship with Porter begun to change as she changes her perspective on many things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Love. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two instances about beauty in the book, and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Gypsy learns from Porter? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Gypsy always recall about Porter and how he was able to reach out to her that summer?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)