|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Love says that Amos committed suicide because __________________________.
2. Gypsy overhears Porter talking to Love and ____________________ Gypsy.
3. At the wienie roast, Buzz tells a story about a woman who found a _______________ in a can of tomatoes.
4. Who was Blind Benny's best friend?
5. What does Buzz want Woodrow to talk about in the classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grandpa Ball's opinion of why Belle moved into the mountains as a young woman and what impact that had on her relationships with people in the outside world?
2. What does Blind Benny tell Gypsy about her father that he hopes will comfort her?
3. How does Gypsy's reaction to the trick he played on Mrs. Cooper different from how the adults react to it?
4. Describe Woodrow's use of mind control over Mrs. Cooper at the Summer Social Garden Party hosted by the Balls.
5. What is the significance of the argument between Gypsy and Woodrow in terms of how they know what is especially painful for each other?
6. What recurring theme of the book resurfaces with the introduction of Blind Benny?
7. Who built the tree house for Gypsy and what significance does it have in her life regarding her memories of her father?
8. What explanation does Woodrow give for what has happened to Belle?
9. Explain how Gypsy's new haircut lets a new Gypsy emerge.
10. What do Gypsy's hair and her mirror symbolize for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Porter. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Belle Prater's Boy". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)