|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gypsy tells Woodrow that he should be a/an ___________________.
2. Where do Gypsy and Woodrow sneak off to during the night?
3. Gypsy hears the doctor tell her mother something about her ________________.
4. Before Porter's party, Gypsy is to wash her hair and ___________________.
5. Gypsy has a recurring dream about _______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Sunday School scene in Chapter 6 help reveal more about Woodrow's character?
2. What are some of Woodrow's experiences in his new life that point out the poverty he lived in until now?
3. Explain how Woodrow and Gypsy's characteristics have been shaped by their different backgrounds.
4. What is evident about Woodrow's relationship with his father as shown in Chapter 9?
5. Who is Blind Benny and what is revealed about his character based on Gypsy and Woodrow's perceptions of him?
6. What illness is Gypsy suffering from, and how has Porter also been affected by her sickness?
7. How does Woodrow's behavior at Porter's birthday party showcase both his confidence and his shyness?
8. Who are Gypsy's mother and stepfather, and where do they live?
9. What do Woodrow's assertions about what he thinks happened to his mother foreshadow for him later in the story?
10. What is Gypsy's recurring nightmare and what does it foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Woodrow. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two instances about beauty in the book, and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)