|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woodrow say that his mother most likely wanted most in her life?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the air behind the shack at Woodrow's house?
3. Gypsy hates the amount of time she has to spend _____________________ every day.
4. Which of the following did the woman in #37 NOT do when Amos fell in love with Love?
5. Who comes to visit Woodrow in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Woodrow help save Gypsy from hurtful adult gossip about her father and what seems to be the common bond they share?
2. How does the Sunday School scene in Chapter 6 help reveal more about Woodrow's character?
3. Who is Blind Benny and what is revealed about his character based on Gypsy and Woodrow's perceptions of him?
4. How does Gypsy help Woodrow navigate the waters of the small town gossips, especially in Akers' barber shop?
5. What are some elements of foreshadowing that appear in Chapter 1?
6. Describe Everett's visit to see Woodrow at his grandparents' house.
7. What is the significance of windows in Gypsy's subconscious and how is that exaggerated while watching the film "Rear Window" at the theater?
8. How does the author introduce the theme of beauty in Chapter 2 related to what Gypsy learns about her mother and Belle's relationship?
9. What was Belle's course of action after she worked through Amos' rejection of her?
10. What is the significance of Gypsy's encounter with Porter as she is sneaking back into the house, and he is outside trying to smoke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Belle Prater's Boy". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Blind Benny. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Blind Benny's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)