|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gypsy's dog's name?
2. What drink does Gypsy's mother give her while she is ill?
3. Belle had told Woodrow about a man in prison who ________________________.
4. What does Woodrow want to do in his life?
5. What is the last name of Woodrow's maternal grandparents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gypsy's life compare to the life that Woodrow has led prior to coming to live with his grandparents?
2. Describe Woodrow's character and how he easily ingratiates himself to people.
3. What do Woodrow and Gypsy reveal to each other about what they really want?
4. What is revealed about Gypsy and Woodrow's characters and their feelings about their looks in their tree house conversation in Chapter 6?
5. How does the Sunday School scene in Chapter 6 help reveal more about Woodrow's character?
6. What do Woodrow's assertions about what he thinks happened to his mother foreshadow for him later in the story?
7. Who is Gypsy, and what does she explain about her Aunt Belle in Chapter 1?
8. What was Belle's course of action after she worked through Amos' rejection of her?
9. What are some of Woodrow's experiences in his new life that point out the poverty he lived in until now?
10. Describe Everett's visit to see Woodrow at his grandparents' house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of beauty. Identify at least two instances about beauty in the book, and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Belle. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
"Belle Prater's Boy" is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)