|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Gypsy take piano lessons?
2. Belle had told Woodrow about a man in prison who ________________________.
3. How old is Gypsy?
4. Why does Love think that Belle left the house?
5. In what town does Gypsy live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some elements of foreshadowing that appear in Chapter 1?
2. What does Woodrow share with Gypsy about the place where he thinks his mother disappeared behind the shack?
3. Describe Gypsy's delirious attack at the movie theater.
4. What is evident about Woodrow's relationship with his father as shown in Chapter 9?
5. What was Belle's course of action after she worked through Amos' rejection of her?
6. What do Woodrow and Gypsy reveal to each other about what they really want?
7. What is the significance of the woman in Everett's car when he comes to visit Woodrow?
8. What does Gypsy learn from her mother about what happened between her, Amos and Belle years ago?
9. What is the significance of windows in Gypsy's subconscious and how is that exaggerated while watching the film "Rear Window" at the theater?
10. What are some of Woodrow's experiences in his new life that point out the poverty he lived in until now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the American South during the mid-20th century. What precedents did these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? How were their lives significantly more difficult than the lives of 21st century women?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Belle. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lives of Gypsy and Woodrow. How are their circumstances similar? In what ways are their lives different? What draws them together to make them friends? What could have threatened to kill a friendship even before it began?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)