|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Gypsy give for her pixie haircut?
(a) It shows off her facial features better.
(b) It is popular in New York.
(c) It is a better cut for the Summer.
(d) It is better suited for cheerleading.
2. How does Gypsy feel about Porter after things calm down?
(a) She still will keep him at a distance.
(b) She is able to accept him now.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She tolerates him.
3. What happens to the farmer who killed the young woman?
(a) He flees the country.
(b) He is executed.
(c) He is strangled by her hair.
(d) He is sentenced to life in prison.
4. Woodrow thinks that pretty people ________________________.
(a) get married sooner.
(b) make more money.
(c) can do anything and get away with it.
(d) are not very nice.
5. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic that Gypsy has just as Belle did?
(a) She is athletic.
(b) She is imaginative.
(c) She is musical.
(d) She is creative.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Blind Benny do after his parents died when he was twelve?
2. What announcement does Porter make that happily surprises Woodrow?
3. Who was Blind Benny's best friend?
4. Woodrow tells Gypsy that he and his mother had been saving money for ___________________.
5. What was Amos' nickname for Gypsy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Gypsy's new haircut lets a new Gypsy emerge.
2. How does Gypsy's conversation with Grandpa Ball about beauty give Gypsy a different perspective on which of her parents was more obsessed with it?
3. Describe Woodrow's behavior at the wienie roast and how it reinforces his character.
4. Why is Woodrow looking through the personal ads in the newspaper while sitting in the tree house?
5. What is the significance of the argument between Gypsy and Woodrow in terms of how they know what is especially painful for each other?
6. What does Gypsy do at home after her memory of finding her father after he had committed suicide?
7. Describe the circumstances in which Gypsy found her father after he had killed himself.
8. What is the significance of Porter's support of the piano recital for Gypsy?
9. Describe the argument Woodrow and Gypsy have about pretty people getting away with more.
10. Explain how Amos and Love have been good to Blind Benny.
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)