|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss St. Pierre do to prove the creature belongs to her?
2. How old is Charles?
3. What does Charles Percival want Belinda to take to Helena?
4. How old does Mr. Hervey discover Virginia is on the first birthday she celebrates after the two meet?
5. Who is the stranger who climbs the wall to see Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Very briefly describe the meeting between Helena and Lady Delacour when Helena returns home from school.
2. What is the basic information Lady Delacour gives Mr. Hervey in the postscript of her letter?
3. What is the point of the letter Mr. Vincent shows to Belinda and what is her reaction?
4. What does Mrs. Luttridge do when she discovers that Mr. Hervey is present and why?
5. What is the gist of the letter Belinda receives from Mrs. Stanhope after Belinda leaves the Delacour house?
6. What does Mrs. Ormond say would make Virginia excited about learning to write and why does she say she won't use that as an incentive?
7. What does Lord Delacour tell Mr. Hervey about his ability to judge the character of a person?
8. What is the news Lady Boucher brings when she comes to visit Lady Delacour and why does she say she's come to visit?
9. What does Mr. Percival say is the cause of so much domestic unrest and what is his opinion of that situation?
10. What does Rachel's grandmother ask of Mr. Hervey from her deathbed and what is the conversation that follows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lady Delacour believes that she is dying. How does this belief impact her actions and emotions? How does she come to know that she is not dying and how does this change her attitude?
Essay Topic 2
When Mr. Vincent loses money gambling, Mr. Hervey and Lord Delacour intervene. What is the role of each and what are their motivations? What is Mr. Vincent's reaction to losing the money? What is Mr. Percival's reaction? Why does each character react in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the roles of Mrs. Feke and Mrs. Luttridge to the story. How does each woman impact the lives of the major characters?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)