|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wish does Helena make when her mother offers to give her anything she wants?
2. What is the tone of the letter Lady Delacour writes to Belinda?
3. Why does Lord Delacour elect to remain in town while Lady Delacour retires to the country for her operation?
4. Where does Mr. Vincent plan to get the money he owes Mr. Percival?
5. Where is Belinda when Mrs. Feke arrives at Oakly-park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the scene that occurs when Mr. Hervey arrives asking if Lady Delacour has received a packet from him.
2. What is the point of the letter Mr. Vincent shows to Belinda and what is her reaction?
3. Very briefly describe the meeting between Helena and Lady Delacour when Helena returns home from school.
4. How is Mrs. Feke injured and what is her reaction?
5. What happens to make Mr. Vincent leave Oakly-park?
6. What is the relationship between Belinda and Mr. Vincent at this point and why does Belinda feel this way?
7. What does Mrs. Ormond say would make Virginia excited about learning to write and why does she say she won't use that as an incentive?
8. What does Mrs. Feke believe she's seen in Lady Delacour's room and what is her reaction when she finds out it isn't true?
9. What does Mrs. Luttridge do when she discovers that Mr. Hervey is present and why?
10. What does Mr. Percival say is the cause of so much domestic unrest and what is his opinion of that situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Mr. Hervey come to meet Virginia? What idea does he have with regard to educating his wife? Describe his relationship with Virginia and how it evolves over time. What is the sense of duty each has for the other?
Essay Topic 2
Four of the main male characters in the book each play an important role in Belinda's life. These are Mr. Hervey, Mr. Vincent, Lord Delacour and Mr. Percival. List the ways the four affect Belinda, her choices and her actions.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Rachel? How does she come to be known as Virginia? How is she reunited with her father?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)