|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Delacour say Lord Delacour's reaction was upon discovering her ailment?
2. What is the tone of the letter Lady Delacour writes to Belinda?
3. What crime does Juba believe he has committed that will cost him his life?
4. What color is the rose Helena has in her hand when she sees Belinda has come to pick her up?
5. What does Rachel offer Mr. Hervey on their first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Ormond say would make Virginia excited about learning to write and why does she say she won't use that as an incentive?
2. What is the reaction of Mr. Hervey and Mr. Hartley when Mr. Hervey opens Virginia's letter accepting his proposal?
3. What does Lord Delacour tell Mr. Hervey about his ability to judge the character of a person?
4. Very briefly describe the meeting between Helena and Lady Delacour when Helena returns home from school.
5. What is the news Lady Boucher brings when she comes to visit Lady Delacour and why does she say she's come to visit?
6. What is the point of the letter Mr. Vincent shows to Belinda and what is her reaction?
7. What is the gist of the letter Belinda receives from Mrs. Stanhope after Belinda leaves the Delacour house?
8. Briefly describe the domestic tranquility Belinda finds at Ann's home.
9. How does Mr. Hervey meet Rachel?
10. What is the significance of how Lord Delacour goes about dismissing Champfort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several people identified only by initial, including "Dr. X." What is the reason what is significant about the characters identified in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Belinda's friendship with Lady Delacour. The relationship undergoes several upheavals over time. List at least two obstacles facing the friendships of the two women and how they overcome these to remain friends.
Essay Topic 3
What caused the injury that Lady Delacour believes has led to her critical health situation? Describe the situation and the impact on all the characters involved, including Lady and Lord Delacour.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)