|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Lady Delacour say Belinda will be free to have a relationship with Mr. Hervey?
2. What kind of shop does Harriett Feke run into while Clarence Hervey is creating a distraction?
3. How many children does Lady Delacour say she gave birth to during her first five years of marriage?
4. Why does Sir Phillip say he's not working harder to gain Belinda's affection?
5. Why does Mr. Hervey lose the bet he makes with Lady Delacour regarding hoops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lady Delacour say about her feelings for her husband, his family and her own?
2. What are Belinda's thoughts upon her discovery of having spent three hours in the library alone on the night of the birth-night ball?
3. How do Belinda and Mr. Hervey convince Lady Delacour to see Helena?
4. What plan does Mr. Hervey concoct with regard to Lady Delacour and her daughter and what role does he imagine that Anne will play?
5. Why does Lady Delacour say that Percival's wife spends so much time with Helena?
6. What does Lady Delacour say should be Helena's fate?
7. What are the basics of the note Lady Delacour sends to Belinda the day after the ball?
8. What Mrs. Stanhope's peculiarity when it comes to writing letters about specific people, places and events?
9. What does Belinda realize about people who seem happy, including Lady Delacour?
10. Briefly describe the scene in which Sir Phillip announces his intention to propose.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a great deal of talk about romantic love, including the fact that Rachel (Virginia) was protected from the outside world by her grandmother in an effort to keep her from romantic entanglements. What do the women of the story look for in romantic love and which of them are most successful in their quest?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between the Percivals. What is it about their lives that Belinda envies? Compare this to the relationship between Lord and Lady Delacour. How does their relationship change. What is Belinda's opinion of their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Belinda's affection for Mr. Hervey with her affection for Mr. Vincent. How are the two men different, and how do these differences affect Belinda's relationship with each?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)