|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hervey lose the bet he makes with Lady Delacour regarding hoops?
2. What is to be the prize for the winner of the game between Mr. Hervey and the Spanish gentleman?
3. Who does Lady Delacour say is the only man who truly loved her?
4. Who wins the game between Mr. Hervey and the Spainaird?
5. Where does Anne say she met Belinda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lady Delacour's argument that makes Belinda give in and buy a new dress?
2. Describe how Mr. Hervey learns Helena's true identity, his reaction and how he later apologizes for having spoken out about it.
3. What is it that keeps Mr. Hervey from being more pleasant?
4. What are the arguments presented by Belinda that prompt Lady Delacour to allow a doctor's presence?
5. What does Lady Delacour say about her conscience with regard to Lawless's death?
6. Describe the race between Mr. Hervey and Sir Phillip and what does each say about the outcome?
7. What are the basics of the note Lady Delacour sends to Belinda the day after the ball?
8. Why does Lady Delacour say that Percival's wife spends so much time with Helena?
9. What is the advice Mrs. Stanhope gives Belinda about her reputation?
10. What are Belinda's thoughts upon her discovery of having spent three hours in the library alone on the night of the birth-night ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Belinda come to be in London? How and why does she leave the home of her first hosts, and why does she later return?
Essay Topic 2
What are the most important themes of the story? List examples of each theme within the story.
Essay Topic 3
There are several people identified only by initial, including "Dr. X." What is the reason what is significant about the characters identified in this way?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)