|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hervey say he's paying ten guineas for?
2. What kind of shop does Harriett Feke run into while Clarence Hervey is creating a distraction?
3. How many children does Lady Delacour say she gave birth to during her first five years of marriage?
4. Where does Anne say she met Belinda?
5. How old does Lady Delacour say Lord Delacour is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lady Delacour say about the man she'd loved and the reason for marrying Lord Delacour?
2. How do Belinda and Mr. Hervey convince Lady Delacour to see Helena?
3. What plan does Mr. Hervey concoct with regard to Lady Delacour and her daughter and what role does he imagine that Anne will play?
4. Briefly describe the rivalry between Lady Delacour and Mrs. Luttridge, and Mrs. Stanhope's role in that rivalry.
5. What does Lady Delacour say about her conscience with regard to Lawless's death?
6. Describe the race between Mr. Hervey and Sir Phillip and what does each say about the outcome?
7. How does Mr. Hervey wind up in the water and how is he rescued?
8. What does Dr. X tell Belinda about Lady Delacour's disease?
9. What Mrs. Stanhope's peculiarity when it comes to writing letters about specific people, places and events?
10. What does Belinda realize about people who seem happy, including Lady Delacour?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Belinda's friendship with Lady Delacour. The relationship undergoes several upheavals over time. List at least two obstacles facing the friendships of the two women and how they overcome these to remain friends.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between the Percivals. What is it about their lives that Belinda envies? Compare this to the relationship between Lord and Lady Delacour. How does their relationship change. What is Belinda's opinion of their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
When Mr. Vincent loses money gambling, Mr. Hervey and Lord Delacour intervene. What is the role of each and what are their motivations? What is Mr. Vincent's reaction to losing the money? What is Mr. Percival's reaction? Why does each character react in this way?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)