|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lady Delacour say the mistress is of no consequence to Belinda?
(a) Because Mr. Hervey won't marry a girl who has been his mistress for so long.
(b) Because Mr. Hervey won't want to marry Belinda.
(c) Because she believes the girl is really too young to marry anyway.
(d) Because Mr. Hervey would end that relationship before proposing to Belinda.
2. What does Anne say when she's invited to a second glass of wine?
(a) She prefers brandy.
(b) She never drinks wine.
(c) She never has more than one .
(d) She's already had her second.
3. How does Lady Delacour say the lawyers managed to raise money once she and her husband were in distress?
(a) They got money charms from gypsies.
(b) They inherited money from a rich aunt.
(c) They sold shares of Lord Delacour's company.
(d) She doesn't care how.
4. Why does Mr. Hervey lose the bet he makes with Lady Delacour regarding hoops?
(a) The sound of Lord Delacour's voice.
(b) A knock at the door.
(c) A conversation about marriage.
(d) The sight of Belinda's hair.
5. What does Belinda discover Lady Delacour has done with money Belinda gave her?
(a) Gave it to Lord Delacour.
(b) Spent it on a coach.
(c) Used it to repay Mr. Hervey.
(d) Spent it on horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is to be the prize for the winner of the game between Mr. Hervey and the Spanish gentleman?
2. What is the plant Lady Delacour uses to encourage guests to leave Mrs. Luttredge's party in favor of her own?
3. Where does the wine merchant live?
4. What does the note from Lady Delacour say she's taken that assures Belinda she won't cause another scene?
5. What wakes Belinda the morning after the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Mr. Hervey learns Helena's true identity, his reaction and how he later apologizes for having spoken out about it.
2. How do Belinda and Mr. Hervey convince Lady Delacour to see Helena?
3. Describe the race between Mr. Hervey and Sir Phillip and what does each say about the outcome?
4. What does Belinda realize about people who seem happy, including Lady Delacour?
5. What are the arguments presented by Belinda that prompt Lady Delacour to allow a doctor's presence?
6. Briefly describe the rivalry between Lady Delacour and Mrs. Luttridge, and Mrs. Stanhope's role in that rivalry.
7. What does Lady Delacour say about her feelings for her husband, his family and her own?
8. Briefly describe the scene in which Sir Phillip announces his intention to propose.
9. What is the advice Mrs. Stanhope gives Belinda about her reputation?
10. What kind of person is Anne?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)