|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Belinda's letter to Mr. Vincent indicate about her desire to be married?
(a) That she doesn't want to marry Mr. Vincent.
(b) That she wants to marry Mr. Hervey.
(c) That she plans to never marry.
(d) That she wants to marry him, even if he's lost a fortune.
2. What does Belinda write to her aunt about Phillip Baddely?
(a) That she fears his temper.
(b) That she knows a marriage to him would make both miserable.
(c) That she is greatly attracted and hopes he will follow her.
(d) That she believes him to be handsome but incorrigible.
3. What does the surgeon say will cure Lady Delacour's illness?
(a) Leaving off the drugs.
(b) A special elixir.
4. How does Mr. Hervey gain entrance into Mr. Vincent's hotel room?
(a) Through a window.
(b) By breaking down the main door.
(c) By knocking.
(d) Through a secret door in a closet.
5. Why does Belinda say she'll take over Marriott's duty to attend Lady Delacour during her surgery?
(a) Belinda wants to prove her loyalty and order Marriott away.
(b) Marriott has gone to the village to order food.
(c) Belinda promised and Mariott is incapable.
(d) Marriott is tending Helena who has fallen ill.
6. Where is Belinda when Mrs. Feke arrives at Oakly-park?
(a) In the garden.
(b) The book doesn't say.
(c) In her bedroom.
(d) In the study.
7. Why does Lady Delacour say she believes this?
(a) She has seen what she believes to be visions foretelling her death.
(b) She has suddenly had a decrease in pain.
(c) She knows Marriott will recover .
(d) She has heard rumors of the surgeon's incompetence.
8. Why does Lady Delacour say she approves of the relationship between Belinda and Mr. Vincent?
(a) Because Mr. Vincent is rich.
(b) Because Belinda's aunt would approve.
(c) Because it would be a good marriage for Belinda.
(d) Because it makes Mr. Hervey jealous.
9. What crime does Juba believe he has committed that will cost him his life?
(a) He shared the voodoo secret of an egg that hatched into a woman.
(b) He ran away from a previous master.
(c) He told of the old woman who poisoned him
(d) He stole a horse.
10. What does Mrs. Feke say is the reason she doesn't read?
(a) Books ruin the ability to think for oneself.
(b) She's so smart that she has no reason to read.
(c) She has no books available.
(d) She's too busy.
11. Why was Rachel never taught to write?
(a) Her grandmother feared she'd write love letters.
(b) Rachel couldn't grasp the concepts.
(c) The reason is never revealed.
(d) There was no tutor available.
12. What reason does Lord Delacour give for dismissing Champfort?
(a) Lord Delacour says that Champfort argued with him.
(b) Lord Delacour says that Champfort stole money.
(c) Lord Delacour says that Champfort is too old to be of value.
(d) Lord Delacour says that Champfort lied about Lady Delacour.
13. How old does Mr. Hervey discover Virginia is on the first birthday she celebrates after the two meet?
14. Why does Lord Delacour elect to remain in town while Lady Delacour retires to the country for her operation?
(a) Because she's angry with him.
(b) To lessen public curiosity over the situation.
(c) Because he's afraid to be with her at the time of her operation.
(d) Because he's angry with her.
15. Who is the stranger who climbs the wall to see Virginia?
(a) Mr. Vincent.
(c) Miss Freke.
(d) Phillip Baddey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say is the fate of Mr. Champfort?
2. What is the gift Mr. Vincent gives Juba?
3. What is the quandary Mrs. Luttridge faces with regard to cheating Mr. Vincent?
4. What is it that causes a delay in his plan?
5. What is the only item Rachel considers important enough to take with her when she leaves the cottage?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)