|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gen finally realize?
2. Who pays the most attention to the two men?
3. What happens to Beatriz when she visits Father?
4. What does Gen give to Beatriz?
5. Who does Ruben approach to cook first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the South American country's army finally comes in to the home?
2. Why does Beatriz decide to be merciful towards Carmen and Gen?
3. What does Gen's kindness to Beatriz foreshadow?
4. How do the hostages and terrorists begin to make a schedule for their new lives?
5. General Benjamin allows some of his soldiers to learn how to cook, what does this show about him?
6. After Carmen and Gen help Mr. Hosokawa and Roxane get together, what do they do?
7. Why does Gen panic at Messner's news?
8. Messner is jealous that everyone in the house gets to spend time with Roxane, but what does he slowly realize?
9. What happens when all of the hostages learn that they may go outside?
10. How does Carmen feel about the late night that Carmen, Gen, Roxane, and Mr. Hosokawa all had?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters in the novel put aside their differences to become friends?
What causes them to become so connected and in love with each other as the book progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Patchett attempts to use foreshadowing a couple times throughout the book.
Do you believe that she effectively uses foreshadowing?
Give two examples of how she uses foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
As the guara settles over the house, it allows the hostages and terrorists to forget that they are on separate teams.
How is the guara a symbol for the unrealistic world that the hostages and terrorists now find themselves in?
Why does not being able to see outside of the house cause everyone to create their own worlds?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)