|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would Beatriz report Carmen to?
2. What does Messner realize about this hostage situation?
3. Who prepares dinner that night?
4. What does Roxane enjoy watching?
5. What must Gen translate to Roxane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gen panic at Messner's news?
2. What does Carmen realize the house has become for everyone and how do the people inside of it choose to live their lives?
3. What is a milestone for Carmen and Gen?
4. Why does Beatriz decide to be merciful towards Carmen and Gen?
5. As each day passes on, what interesting things are happening between the hostages and terrorists?
6. Who discovers that Roxane and Mr. Hosokawa are in love with one another?
7. What does General Benjamin realize about the way he handled the siege?
8. When the garua lifts, what happens to the people left in the house?
9. How do the hostages and terrorists begin to make a schedule for their new lives?
10. General Benjamin allows some of his soldiers to learn how to cook, what does this show about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the guara settles over the house, it allows the hostages and terrorists to forget that they are on separate teams.
How is the guara a symbol for the unrealistic world that the hostages and terrorists now find themselves in?
Why does not being able to see outside of the house cause everyone to create their own worlds?
Essay Topic 2
What do the house and guara symbolize throughout the novel?
Does Patchett use a lot of symbolization in the novel? So you think it is effective for the story?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between employers and employees is not universal and truly based on the people involved in the relationship.
- How would you characterize Gen and Hosowaka's relationship at the beginning of the novel?
- By the end of the novel, what has happened to their relationship? Have they gotten closer to one another?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)