|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Beatriz when she visits Father?
2. What don't Roxane and Gen realize about Carmen offering her help to them?
3. How does Gen feel about relaying Victor's message?
4. Why do the generals allow them to venture outside of the house?
5. Who pays the most attention to the two men?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the garua lifts, what happens to the people left in the house?
2. How do the hostages and terrorists begin to make a schedule for their new lives?
3. Messner is jealous that everyone in the house gets to spend time with Roxane, but what does he slowly realize?
4. What happens when all of the hostages learn that they may go outside?
5. What does General Benjamin realize about the way he handled the siege?
6. What does Benjamin ask Gen to relay to his employer?
7. What is a milestone for Carmen and Gen?
8. What does Gen's kindness to Beatriz foreshadow?
9. What happens when the South American country's army finally comes in to the home?
10. After Carmen and Gen help Mr. Hosokawa and Roxane get together, what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many characters experience jealousy towards one another for wanting Roxane.
- Why is jealousy a powerful and upsetting emotion?
- How can a person control their envy to live a better life? Name a character that has attempted to change themseleves by controlling their jealousy.
Essay Topic 2
1. Summarize Roxane's views on true love.
2. Summarize Victor's views on love.
3. How do the two vary or match?
4. Why can't Victor and Roxane be together?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of love and lust run deep through the pages of Bel Canto.
- How do the characters change because they are affected by love?
- How does love change people and shape their lives?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)