|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As this person sings, what does Roxane yell?
2. How did Mr. Hosokawa learn how to become silent while moving through the house?
3. In the beginning, what had the generals planned to do to Roxane?
4. Where do Carmen and Gen go to make love?
5. Who catches Carmen and Gen in their mission to help Roxane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beatriz decide to be merciful towards Carmen and Gen?
2. How does Carmen feel about the late night that Carmen, Gen, Roxane, and Mr. Hosokawa all had?
3. Why does Gen panic at Messner's news?
4. Why does Ruben think he can ask Roxan to begin preparing food for the house?
5. What does Gen's kindness to Beatriz foreshadow?
6. Why do Victor and everyone else in the house fall in love with Roxane?
7. What happens when the South American country's army finally comes in to the home?
8. When the garua lifts, what happens to the people left in the house?
9. What activity do Mr. Hosokawa and General Benjiman participate in together and why do they enjoy each other's company?
10. Messner is jealous that everyone in the house gets to spend time with Roxane, but what does he slowly realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author establish Ruben's home as a prison and as an alternate reality?
What qualities about the home are likened to a prison? What about the home allows them to see it as a safe place.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in the book fall in love with Roxane. Are these characters actually in love with her or are they in lust with her?
What is the difference between lust and love?
Why is it important to recognize the difference between the two?
Essay Topic 3
As the guara settles over the house, it allows the hostages and terrorists to forget that they are on separate teams.
How is the guara a symbol for the unrealistic world that the hostages and terrorists now find themselves in?
Why does not being able to see outside of the house cause everyone to create their own worlds?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)