|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Vice President comes forward to speak with the terrorists, what does he tell them?
2. How does Messner bring Roxane music?
3. How does Mr. Hosokawa spend most of his day?
4. Why are the generals happier with their smaller group?
5. What is this called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to the health of the accompanist?
2. As time goes on, how do the hostages and terrorists start to treat one another?
3. Why has Gen become incredibly busy during his stay at Ruben's house?
4. How do the hostages and terrorists find a way to communicate with one another?
5. What type of mood is set for the beginning of the novel?
6. What aspects of the situation have led Simon to re-evaluate his life?
7. Why does Roxane feel awkward while giving her speech about Christoph?
8. Why do the terrorists choose to keep Roxane at the house?
9. Although the terrorists seem to have all the control in the situation, what do the hostages offer?
10. How does Joachim Messner feel about being at Ruben's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Messner visits the house for the last time, he warns Gen that the government has figured out a solution to the problem of the terrorists.
Why does Gen blatantly ignore the warning?
How could Gen have warned everyone and possibly saved Carmen's life?
Do you think everyone in the house is responsible for outcome of the siege?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between employers and employees is not universal and truly based on the people involved in the relationship.
- How would you characterize Gen and Hosowaka's relationship at the beginning of the novel?
- By the end of the novel, what has happened to their relationship? Have they gotten closer to one another?
Essay Topic 3
Patchett attempts to use foreshadowing a couple times throughout the book.
Do you believe that she effectively uses foreshadowing?
Give two examples of how she uses foreshadowing.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)