|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Gen's services needed right away?
2. At the end of the chapter, who else is released?
3. Who is allowed to leave Ruben's home?
4. Who is Joachim Messner?
5. Who has Gen become attracted to (besides Roxane)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the terrorists seem to have all the control in the situation, what do the hostages offer?
2. When the terrorists choose not to shoot a dead body, what are they proving about themselves?
3. Why does Messner become jealous of the hostages?
4. When Roxane wishes to sing, who helps her and why is it a surprise?
5. Who is finally allowed to leave the house and why?
6. How does the novel begin and what mood is established?
7. What does the accompanist's death prove to the reader?
8. Why do the terrorists choose to keep Roxane at the house?
9. Why does Roxane feel awkward while giving her speech about Christoph?
10. Why is it important for Mr. Hosokawa to be at the birthday party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Gen and Hosowaka switch places.
- Are they excited about this development?
- How does each man accept his new position in the hostage siege?
- How have they switched places? Is it in an emotional, physical, or business switch?
Essay Topic 2
Compare an inner city gang to that of the jungle terrorists.
How do the two groups work to recruit uneducated young people and promise them better lives?
Do they threaten their members to join and then never let them leave?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in the book fall in love with Roxane. Are these characters actually in love with her or are they in lust with her?
What is the difference between lust and love?
Why is it important to recognize the difference between the two?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)