|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is allowed to leave Ruben's home?
2. What does this setting allow the hostages to feel like?
3. What is this called?
4. How does Roxane Cross feel about being the only woman forced to stay?
5. What does Roxane's music cause to happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hosokawa decide to attend his own birthday party?
2. What does Messner discover about the terrorists that have taken over Ruben's house?
3. Why is this time in the house so important for Carmen and how does she take advantage of her situation?
4. What type of mood is set for the beginning of the novel?
5. How have Ruben and Roxane adjusted into their roles in the house?
6. When two terrorists are revealed to be females what changes?
7. Why is it important for Mr. Hosokawa to be at the birthday party?
8. As time goes on, how do the hostages and terrorists start to treat one another?
9. How does Roxane begin to feel about Mr. Hosokawa?
10. When the terrorists choose not to shoot a dead body, what are they proving about themselves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do all of the characters join together to create a disillusioned environment in the house?
Why are they all eager to protect the fake world they have created?
Essay Topic 2
What do the house and guara symbolize throughout the novel?
Does Patchett use a lot of symbolization in the novel? So you think it is effective for the story?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, music has become everyone's common language.
Also language was created to connect human beings, how does it drastically divide them?
Had the people in the house not had Gen's help, would they have found another way to effectively communicate?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)