|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is situated in the theater?
2. What have all the hostages been told to do?
3. When Roxane is asked to say something nice about the accompanist, what does she feel?
4. Why does Mr. Hosokawa feel responsible for the the kidnapping?
5. What song does Roxane sing during the first chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the terrorists choose to keep Roxane at the house?
2. As the hostages get used to their new home, what do they learn about their surroundings?
3. Why does Messner become jealous of the hostages?
4. As time goes on, how do the hostages and terrorists start to treat one another?
5. How does Joachim Messner feel about being at Ruben's house?
6. What feelings does Roxane make everyone feel throughout the house?
7. When the terrorists choose not to shoot a dead body, what are they proving about themselves?
8. What does Messner discover about the terrorists that have taken over Ruben's house?
9. Who is finally allowed to leave the house and why?
10. What aspects of the situation have led Simon to re-evaluate his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carmen and Beatriz are the only female terrorists, but they are very different from one another.
1. Compare and Contrast Carmen to Beatriz.
2. Why are so many more people taken with Carmen than Beatriz?
3. How does Beatriz try to become an integral part of the house?
Essay Topic 2
In the book, music has become everyone's common language.
Also language was created to connect human beings, how does it drastically divide them?
Had the people in the house not had Gen's help, would they have found another way to effectively communicate?
Essay Topic 3
As Messner visits the house for the last time, he warns Gen that the government has figured out a solution to the problem of the terrorists.
Why does Gen blatantly ignore the warning?
How could Gen have warned everyone and possibly saved Carmen's life?
Do you think everyone in the house is responsible for outcome of the siege?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)