|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Ruben acted while held prisoner in his own home?
(a) He has become hostile.
(c) Very depressed.
(d) He has become a gracious host.
2. What does this setting allow the hostages to feel like?
(a) They are enclosed and trapped.
(b) They begin to feel like they could be anywhere in the world.
(c) Very comfortable.
(d) They want to leave desperatley.
3. After the accompanist dies, what do the generals contemplate?
(a) They think about shooting the dead body to show the government they are serious.
(b) They want to throw it out of a building window.
(c) Making an example out of the dead accompanist.
(d) That they will look bad in front of hostages.
4. What does Messner learn about Carmen?
(a) She wants to be an American citizen.
(b) She is seventeen and wants to work to free the people.
(c) She is vicous for being so young.
(d) She volunteered to become a terrorist because she likes killing.
5. How does Messner bring Roxane music?
(a) He uses Father Arguedas' local connection to get the sheet music she needs.
(b) He brings some from his own personal collection.
(c) He sneaks it in with the rest of the supplies.
(d) He begs his boss to find some.
6. What makes a hostage uprising impossible?
(a) The hostages hate one another.
(b) Lack of communication. They only have one translator.
(c) They do not know each other.
(d) No weapons.
7. What type of role do you think that Father Arguedas will take on in the story?
(a) He will help all the hostages feel better.
(b) Play an important mediator role during the hostage situation.
(c) He will be a little too into confrontation.
(d) He will be aggressively trying to get nonbelievers to convert.
8. Where was Messner when the hostage situation happened?
(a) On vacation.
(b) At a business meeting.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Out of the South American country.
9. What kind of love is everyone experiencing toward Roxane?
(a) A competitive love.
(b) A shared love.
(c) An angry love.
(d) An exhuasted love.
10. What is the accompanist's real name?
11. What do we learn about the terrorists' true intentions in this section?
(a) The terrorists are serious but not cruel. They do not want to kill.
(b) They will only stop once Ben's brother is free.
(c) They hope to change the government.
(d) They want to kill all the hostages.
12. What is clear about Hosokawa's feelings towards her?
(a) He is completely in love with her.
(b) He does think she is that great live.
(c) He wants to own her.
(d) He is very sexually attracted to her.
13. What do the terrorists demand from the audience members?
(a) All of their money and jewelry.
(b) Their kindness.
(c) Their attention.
14. Why are the generals happier with their smaller group?
(a) It is a littler easier to manage a smaller group of hostages.
(b) People make them nervous.
(c) They do not like being aorund a lot of people.
(d) They want to kill less people.
15. What does Messner do for the hostages?
(a) Provides comfort for them.
(b) He brings in the supplies that the terrorists demand.
(c) Is very mean to them and gives them little hope.
(d) Is a link to the outside world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hosokawa realize about Roxane as he lays next to her on the floor?
2. What does Roxane start to appreciate about Mr. Hosokawa?
3. What have all the hostages been told to do?
4. Why does Mr. Hosokawa feel responsible for the the kidnapping?
5. What is this called?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)