|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hosokawa even decide to attend the celebration?
(a) He wants to find a wife.
(b) He likes meeting new people.
(c) Only because he wanted to hear Roxane sing.
(d) He goes because the President pressure him to go.
2. What do we learn about the terrorists' true intentions in this section?
(a) They hope to change the government.
(b) They will only stop once Ben's brother is free.
(c) They want to kill all the hostages.
(d) The terrorists are serious but not cruel. They do not want to kill.
3. Everyone in the house is _______ by Roxane.
4. What type of role do you think that Father Arguedas will take on in the story?
(a) He will be aggressively trying to get nonbelievers to convert.
(b) He will help all the hostages feel better.
(c) Play an important mediator role during the hostage situation.
(d) He will be a little too into confrontation.
5. What does Mr. Hosokawa realize about Roxane as he lays next to her on the floor?
(a) She is not a perfect beauty.
(b) She is unable to stop getting panicked.
(c) She is frightened beyond belief.
(d) She is awkward.
6. How does Roxane Cross feel about being the only woman forced to stay?
(a) Sad and unfortunate.
(d) She is outraged and upset.
7. Who has Gen become attracted to (besides Roxane)?
8. Why is the lovely Roxane Cross singing at this particular theater?
(a) She was paid a large amount to sing.
(b) She is in love with Hosokawa and wants him to have a great birthday.
(c) This is her last show before she retires.
(d) For Mr. Katsumi Hosokawa's birthday.
9. What is the first communication between Roxane and Mr. Hosokawa?
(a) He tells her how much he loves her.
(b) He tells her that he admires her talent.
(c) By letter.
(d) He apologizes to her for having her life put in danger.
10. By not shooting the dead man, what are the terrorists showing?
(a) They hate sick people.
(b) They hate the dead.
(c) They have repsect for the dead.
(d) They are softies.
11. Why are Gen's services needed right away?
(a) Everyone speaks the same language.
(b) He is a great mediator.
(c) He is very calm under pressure.
(d) He is an expert translator and is called in to help.
12. Why is Carmen in love with Roxane?
(a) Roxane is beautiful.
(b) She is a lesbian.
(c) She is in love with her clothes, life, and sophistication.
(d) She wants Roxane's riches.
13. Even though he is getting extremely ill, what does the accompanist decide to do?
(a) He decides to stay at Rueben's house to protect Roxane.
(b) Hide in one of the bedrooms.
(c) He thinks it is time to leave and tries to take Roxane with him.
(d) Go home and take is diabetes medicine.
14. As the opera singer kisses the opera singer what happens in the novel?
(a) The chandiler crashes.
(b) A great love affair begins.
(c) The singer has a heart attack.
(d) The lights in the theater go out.
15. What do they discover about the accompanist?
(a) He hates Roxane.
(b) He is in horrible pain while dying.
(c) He is a diabetic.
(d) He is on drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hosokawa feel responsible for the the kidnapping?
2. When the terrorists discover that the President is not at the performance, how do they feel?
3. How is the accompanist's declaration of love received by Roxane?
4. What is this called?
5. Right away, as the novel begins, what is clear to the reader concerning Roxane?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)