|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Hosokawa feel responsible for the the kidnapping?
(a) Everyone was in the theater for his birthday.
(b) His government warned him not to come.
(c) He did not do anything to help save the people.
(d) He wants alone time with Roxane.
2. What becomes the language that everyone can communicate through?
(a) They use sign language to communicate.
(b) They all feel each other through movement.
(c) Their emotions.
(d) Everyone can communicate through the language of music.
3. Why is Carmen in love with Roxane?
(a) Roxane is beautiful.
(b) She is a lesbian.
(c) She wants Roxane's riches.
(d) She is in love with her clothes, life, and sophistication.
4. What does Roxane's music cause to happen?
(a) All walls and barriers fall down.
(b) It lets everyone come together in a peaceful way.
(c) It lets the terrorists drop their guard.
(d) A shift to occur in the group.
5. As a result, what almost happens to Sam?
(a) He is tortured.
(b) He is going to be imprisoned.
(c) He gets hit on the head.
(d) He is almost shot.
6. When the Vice President comes forward to speak with the terrorists, what does he tell them?
(a) He tells them the President is severely sick.
(b) That the President will not respond to hostages.
(c) He says he is now the President.
(d) He explains that the President is not there.
7. What makes a hostage uprising impossible?
(a) They do not know each other.
(b) Lack of communication. They only have one translator.
(c) No weapons.
(d) The hostages hate one another.
8. What song does Roxane sing during the first chapter?
(a) Dove sono.
(b) Bel Canto.
(c) Caro nome.
(d) Celeste Aida.
9. What kind of love is everyone experiencing toward Roxane?
(a) A shared love.
(b) A competitive love.
(c) An angry love.
(d) An exhuasted love.
10. What do the terrorists demand from the audience members?
(a) All of their money and jewelry.
(b) Their kindness.
(d) Their attention.
11. As the accompanist gets sicker, what does one of the hostages do for him?
(a) They attempt to let him go free.
(b) Father gives the accompanist his Last Rites.
(c) They try to put him in a nice bedroom.
(d) They force him to die alone.
12. By now, how long have they been at the house?
(a) A year.
(b) For many, many weeks.
(c) Five days.
(d) A day or two.
13. Where Carmen is from, how do children make a better life for themselves?
(a) They join terrorists groups.
(b) They go to work in factories.
(c) They are sold into work camps.
(d) They get an education.
14. Why does Simon see his wife in a different light?
(a) She puts her husmand down.
(b) They are in life or death circumstances.
(c) She is dying of a gunshot wound.
(d) She is able to fight for herself.
15. What does the whole room begin to assume about their relationship (Roxane and the accompanist)?
(a) He will kill her if she does not return his love.
(b) They are lovers.
(c) He is infatuated with her.
(d) She is his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have all the hostages been told to do?
2. What is Mr. Hosokawa's occupation?
3. By not shooting the dead man, what are the terrorists showing?
4. Who is allowed to leave Ruben's home?
5. Who is situated in the theater?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)