|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the whole room begin to assume about their relationship (Roxane and the accompanist)?
(a) They are lovers.
(b) She is his daughter.
(c) He will kill her if she does not return his love.
(d) He is infatuated with her.
2. How does Roxane Cross feel about being the only woman forced to stay?
(a) She is outraged and upset.
(b) Sad and unfortunate.
3. Who plays the piano for Roxane when she wants to sing?
(a) Testa Kato.
(b) Kato Tetsuya.
(c) Kato Tetsua.
(d) Tetsuya Kato.
4. When Roxane sings, what happens to all the hostages?
(a) They forget that they would rather be somewhere else.
(b) They all fall into a false sense of happiness.
(c) They get riled up.
(d) They get lulled into a false sense of security.
5. Why has Hosokawa chosen to go to this foreign place?
(a) His mother begged him to fo there.
(b) He loves visiting this country.
(c) He was invited for his birthday.
(d) He has led people to think he will invest in the South American Country.
6. What do they find in the accompanist's pockets?
(a) A hypodermic needle.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) A shot glass.
7. Who is with Hosokawa at the theater?
(a) Gen Wannabe, his butler.
(b) Gen Watanabe, business investor.
(c) Gen Wannabe, his partner.
(d) Gen Watanabe, his friend and translator.
8. Who is trying to protect Roxane the whole time?
(a) The accompanist.
(c) Mr. Hosokawa.
(d) Gen. Berlin.
9. Who is situated in the theater?
(a) The president of the US.
(b) A small audience of select people.
(c) A large international audience.
(d) Only Hosokawa.
10. What do the terrorists demand from the audience members?
(b) All of their money and jewelry.
(c) Their kindness.
(d) Their attention.
11. Right away, as the novel begins, what is clear to the reader concerning Roxane?
(a) She commands respect.
(b) Her voice is beautiful and magnificent.
(c) She is not a real beauty.
(d) She is a kind person.
12. What does Roxane start to appreciate about Mr. Hosokawa?
(a) He listens to her sing.
(b) He always knows what she wants or needs.
(c) He does not touch her.
(d) He loves her more than the rest.
13. Why are Gen's services needed right away?
(a) He is very calm under pressure.
(b) He is a great mediator.
(c) Everyone speaks the same language.
(d) He is an expert translator and is called in to help.
14. Why are the generals happier with their smaller group?
(a) They want to kill less people.
(b) They do not like being aorund a lot of people.
(c) People make them nervous.
(d) It is a littler easier to manage a smaller group of hostages.
15. What does Carmen ask Gen to help her with?
(a) She asks him to teach her Spanish.
(b) Watch movies with her so that he can translate them.
(c) Tutor her in math.
(d) The way she dresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is clear about Hosokawa's feelings towards her?
2. When the hostages look out of the window, what do they find?
3. How does Messner bring Roxane music?
4. If he had gone back to the hotel, would he still be alive?
5. What are the young terrorists craving?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)