|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chance saw a figure on the TV screen, what did he imagine he was looking at?
(a) The father he did not know.
(b) Someone he knew from his past.
(c) His dead mother.
(d) His own reflection.
2. What day is it when the novel begins?
(c) We are not told.
3. Who taught Chance how to tend the garden?
(a) The Old Man.
(b) A tall black man who once worked there.
(c) A professional gardening company.
(d) A kind next door neighbor.
4. When Chance changed the channel on the TV, what did he believe he could do?
(a) He could find the perfect TV show.
(b) He might break the TV set.
(c) He could change himself.
(d) He could find a gardening show.
5. When Chance looks in the large hall mirror, what does he see?
(a) How ugly he's become.
(c) That he's all grown up.
(d) A young boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mr. Franklin and his assistant call Chance?
2. Where is Louise originally from?
3. What is Chance's reaction when Mr. Franklin asks him is he intends to make a claim against the estate?
4. When EE visits Chance in his room the next morning, what does she reveal to him?
5. In what way did Chance believe that the garden was its own graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the maid's reaction to the Old Man's death in Chapter 1?
2. Do you think Chance acted appropriately in response to the Old Man's death in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 3, Chance has second thoughts about leaving the house. Where does he go?
4. Why does Chance pretend to be able to read the paper that the lawyer gives him to sign?
5. Why does EE change Chance's name when he introduces himself?
6. Why does Chance wear sunglasses to meet with the lawyer and his assistant?
7. By Chapter 3, the author has shown the reader what Chance's personality is like. How would a reader describe Chance's personality?
8. At what point in Chapter 2 does Chance realize things will now change?
9. In Chapter 1, when Chance is in the garden, what is his mood?
10. Why can't the new maid in the Old Man's house vouch for Chance belonging there?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)