|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chance think that a man's name has an important connection with a man's life?
(a) People on TV have two names; a real one and a performing one.
(b) A man's name describes exactly what he does for a living.
(c) A name decides what type of person you really are.
(d) A name is connected to family trees.
2. Chance basically did two things in the Old Man's house. Those two things were what?
(a) Tend the garden and watch TV.
(b) Prepare his meals and tend the garden.
(c) Take care of the Old Man and tend the garden.
(d) Sit with Louise and chat and watch TV.
3. What surprised Chance about all of the papers spread out on the desk?
(a) His name was not mentioned in any of them.
(b) There was red ink all over them.
(c) They were in neat piles of twenty.
(d) Some of them were ripped up.
4. What is Chance's reaction when Mr. Franklin asks him is he intends to make a claim against the estate?
(a) Chance is confused.
(b) Chance is indignant.
(c) Chance is saddened.
(d) Chance is hopeful.
5. In what way did people exist for Chance?
(a) When people laughed at him.
(b) When Chance turned his eyes on them, as on TV.
(c) When he ignored them.
(d) People did not exist for Chance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman from the car?
2. According to Chance, what was one of the benefits of his position?
3. What clothes did Chance change into when he learned he had a visitor?
4. When EE visits Chance in his room the next morning, what does she reveal to him?
5. What had Chance been paid for his gardening chores over the years?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Chance has second thoughts about leaving the house. Where does he go?
2. When Chance is hit by the limousine and Mrs. Rand steps out, what is familiar about her to Chance?
3. Why do you believe that Chance thinks and feels the way he does as described in Chapter 1?
4. Why does EE change Chance's name when he introduces himself?
5. Why can't the new maid in the Old Man's house vouch for Chance belonging there?
6. Why is it that Chance does not appear in any of Mr. Franklin's records?
7. In Chapter 1, in what way does Chance feel safe and secure in the garden?
8. When Chance periodically takes time in the garden to sit on the grass and think in Chapter 1, what goes through his mind?
9. Readers discover how Chance got his name in Chapter 1. How did he get his name?
10. In Chapter 2, what are Mr. Franklin and Miss Hayes trying to discover about Chance?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)