|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chance introduce himself once he is in the limousine?
(a) Chance, as in luck.
(c) Chance the gardener.
(d) Chance from the Old Man's house.
2. In what way did Chance believe that the garden was its own graveyard?
(a) There were people buried under parts of the garden.
(b) He knew he would be buried in that garden one day.
(c) The garden was so peaceful, like a cemetery.
(d) Under every tree and plant there were decomposing roots.
3. How does the woman explain her nickname?
(a) It refers to the poet e.e. cummings.
(b) It stands for Elizabeth Eve.
(c) It stands for Ellen Elizabeth.
(d) It is short for "evil eye".
4. What does Chance realize once he has locked the gate behind him and stepped outside?
(a) The Old Man did not really die.
(b) How happy he is now.
(c) He left something behind.
(d) He can never return to the garden.
5. The Old Man did not leave something behind before he died. What was it?
(a) A burial plot.
(b) A will.
(c) A suicide letter.
(d) An autobiography.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Franklin have a record of the Old Man's affairs?
2. What happens to Chance when the limousine makes a sharp sudden stop?
3. Who is the main character in the book?
4. Why didn't Chance like to take the elevator in the house?
5. What do readers know about the fat maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Chance has second thoughts about leaving the house. Where does he go?
2. Do you think Chance acted appropriately in response to the Old Man's death in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 2, what are Mr. Franklin and Miss Hayes trying to discover about Chance?
4. By Chapter 3, the author has shown the reader what Chance's personality is like. How would a reader describe Chance's personality?
5. What surprises Chance about the outside world once he has left the Old Man's home?
6. Why do you believe that Chance thinks and feels the way he does as described in Chapter 1?
7. How does the day begin after the Old Man dies in Chapter 2 ?
8. In Chapter 1, readers understand that Chance does exactly as he is told by the Old Man? Why is this?
9. Readers discover how Chance got his name in Chapter 1. How did he get his name?
10. In Chapter 1, when Chance is in the garden, what is his mood?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)