|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visited the camp prior to Emma's arrival?
2. Where did the Union soldiers gather according to Seymour Reit in Chapter 1?
3. Mrs. Butler was a descendant of ______________.
4. What did Emma tell the officer who asked her why she wasn't working?
5. Why couldn't Emma work in the trenches the second morning after her arrival at the Confederate camp according to Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was training like for Emma and her fellow recruits?
2. What did a sergeant accuse Private Thompson of at the start of Chapter 2?
3. What did Emma do in the medical tent?
4. Where were soldiers gathering at the start of Chapter 1, and why were they anxious?
5. Who did Emma find upon waking?
6. Who led Emma through the camp?
7. Who joined Company B at the start of Chapter 3 and what would it mean for Emma?
8. In whom did Emma choose to confide?
9. What did Emma observe according to Chapter 6?
10. What did Emma note about the Confederate camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact that Emma's illness had on her role in the Union Army and the ramifications of being listed as AWOL.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women during the Civil War and compare this role with that of Emma Edmonds. Use the text and outside sources to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the relationship with Mrs. Butler and Emma with that of Emma and Dr. Hodes.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)