|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Emma reject the obvious choice for a disguise to go behind enemy lines?
(a) She knew nothing about Louisville.
(b) The South had few Catholic churches.
(c) Other soldiers would ask too many questions.
(d) She could not count.
2. Why did Emma volunteer for the spy assignment?
(a) For the spoils of war.
(b) For the thrill.
(c) The pay was higher.
(d) To save the country and avenge James' death.
3. What city was key to the Union Army's strategy in the early days of the war?
4. How were spies executed?
(a) They were thrown in the river.
(b) They were hung.
(c) They were shot.
(d) They were left to die of exposure.
5. What rank did the Chaplain have in the Army?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was James Vesey assigned to at the start of Chapter 3?
2. What allowed Emma to leave the camp at night?
3. Why was Emma's father resentful?
4. What did she Emma see flickering across the valley?
5. What did Emma do before sleeping on the first night inside the Confederate camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Emma bribe a kitchen worker and what opportunity did it give her according to Chapter 7?
2. Whom did Emma bribe and who helped her?
3. What did a Confederate officer ask Cuff at the camp?
4. Who helped Emma at the start of Chapter 4?
5. What did Emma note about the Confederate camp?
6. What did a sergeant accuse Private Thompson of at the start of Chapter 2?
7. Who did Emma find upon waking?
8. What happened during the review panel?
9. What was the Union Army foregoing?
10. What did Emma remind herself of when she looked at the Confederate's campfires?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)