|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emma think she would have to do if James recognized her?
(a) Let him in on the secret.
(b) Bribe him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Lie to him.
2. What type of transport did Emma take to Fort Monroe?
(a) A train.
(b) A paddle wheel boat.
(c) A horse.
(d) She walked.
3. What were the soldiers certain would only last three weeks?
(a) The construction of the train line.
(b) The war.
(c) The presidency of Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Their trip.
4. What was Emma questioned on by the review panel?
(a) Her patriotism, beliefs and knowledge of armaments.
(b) Her gender.
(c) Her Canadian ancestry.
(d) Her knowledge of hand to hand combat.
5. What were the slaves allowed to do after dinner?
(a) Drink water.
(b) Play ball.
(c) Go to school.
(d) Wander the camp.
6. Emma's position was considered as ________________.
(a) Critical to the war effort.
(d) Not important.
7. What was Emma accused of holding like a mop?
(a) Her knife.
(b) Her horse.
(c) Her musket.
(d) Her canteen.
8. Whom did Emma have as an escort on her way out of the camp?
(a) Two armed men.
(b) The adjutant.
(c) Mrs. Butler.
(d) The General.
9. Where did Emma say she was born when enrolling as Franklin Thompson?
(a) St John, Canada.
(b) New York City.
(c) Montreal, Canada.
(d) Washington, D.C.
10. Whom did Emma recognize that turned out to be a Confederate spy?
(a) A slave.
(b) A Union soldier.
(c) A old woman.
(d) A civilian peddler.
11. What were the Michigan Volunteer Infantry also known as?
(a) The Union White.
(b) The Union Red.
(c) The Union Grays.
(d) The Union Jack.
12. What did Mrs. Butler give to Emma for her journey?
(b) A small sack of food.
(c) A small knife.
(d) A horse.
13. What type of hair did Emma have for her disguise?
14. How were runaway slaves executed?
(a) They were thrown in the river.
(b) They were shot.
(c) They were hung.
(d) They were left to die of exposure.
15. Where did Emma sleep on the first night after leaving the camp?
(a) A wooded area.
(b) An abandoned house.
(c) The slave's pen.
(d) The Confederate's camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Emma darken her skin?
2. What rank did the Chaplain have in the Army?
3. Why did Emma volunteer for the spy assignment?
4. Why was Emma's father resentful?
5. Who led the Potomac Army in March 1862?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)