|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did she Emma see flickering across the valley?
(a) The flash of the canons shelling the Union camp.
(b) The lights of the Confederate Navy.
(c) The lights of Richmond.
(d) The lights of the Confederate camp.
2. How were spies executed?
(a) They were hung.
(b) They were left to die of exposure.
(c) They were shot.
(d) They were thrown in the river.
3. What did Emma do before sleeping on the first night inside the Confederate camp?
(a) She tried to sneak into the General's tent.
(b) She reapplied silver nitrate.
(c) She started to head back to the Union camp.
(d) She sent a message back to the Union Camp.
4. How old was James Vesey when he died?
5. Where did Emma and James first meet?
(b) New York.
6. What city was key to the Union Army's strategy in the early days of the war?
7. Whom did Emma have as an escort on her way out of the camp?
(a) The adjutant.
(b) Mrs. Butler.
(c) Two armed men.
(d) The General.
8. What were "Quaker guns"?
(a) Log painted black to look like cannons.
(b) Gatling guns.
(d) Powder storage.
9. What was Emma accused of holding like a mop?
(a) Her horse.
(b) Her knife.
(c) Her musket.
(d) Her canteen.
10. What city did Emma have time to visit before her deployment?
(d) New York.
11. Why was Emma's father resentful?
(a) Emma was a tomboy.
(b) Emma ran from Canada.
(c) Emma was not a boy.
(d) Emma didn't know how to cook.
12. What did Emma Edmonds do to avoid being discovered as a female?
(a) She didn't talk.
(b) She put padding in her sleeves.
(c) She drew a beard.
(d) She pulled her cap down low.
13. What were the Confederate soldiers building south of Richmond?
(a) A church.
(d) Fake canons.
14. What did Emma think she would have to do if James recognized her?
(a) Let him in on the secret.
(b) Lie to him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Bribe him.
15. Who visited the camp prior to Emma's arrival?
(a) A Union Ambassador.
(b) General Robert E. Lee
(c) A priest.
(d) President Davis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disguise did Emma finally settle on?
2. What was Emma questioned on by the review panel?
3. What did Emma feel when she enlisted?
4. What were the slaves given for lunch?
5. What famous historical figure did Emma see a few times?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)