|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emma think she would have to do if James recognized her?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Lie to him.
(c) Bribe him.
(d) Let him in on the secret.
2. What city was key to the Union Army's strategy in the early days of the war?
3. Why couldn't Emma work in the trenches the second morning after her arrival at the Confederate camp according to Chapter 7?
(a) She broke her arm.
(b) She needed to do more spying.
(c) Her hands were blistered.
(d) She needed to head back to the Union Camp.
4. How long did the journey to the confederate camp take at the start of Chapter 6?
(a) Several hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) One week.
(d) 24 minutes.
5. Where did the Union soldiers gather according to Seymour Reit in Chapter 1?
(a) The Flint leather factory.
(b) The Flint prison.
(c) The Flint train depot.
(d) The Flint Courthouse.
6. What did Emma do before sleeping on the first night inside the Confederate camp?
(a) She reapplied silver nitrate.
(b) She sent a message back to the Union Camp.
(c) She tried to sneak into the General's tent.
(d) She started to head back to the Union camp.
7. What did Mrs. Butler give to Emma for her journey?
(a) A small knife.
(c) A horse.
(d) A small sack of food.
8. What was Emma ordered to dig?
(a) A gun pit.
(c) Irrigation trenches.
9. What did Emma Edmonds do to avoid being discovered as a female?
(a) She put padding in her sleeves.
(b) She pulled her cap down low.
(c) She didn't talk.
(d) She drew a beard.
10. What were the Michigan Volunteer Infantry also known as?
(a) The Union Red.
(b) The Union Grays.
(c) The Union Jack.
(d) The Union White.
11. How old was Emma when she ran away from home?
12. What type of hair did Emma have for her disguise?
13. Why did Emma volunteer for the spy assignment?
(a) For the thrill.
(b) To save the country and avenge James' death.
(c) The pay was higher.
(d) For the spoils of war.
14. How long did a nurse's shift last?
(a) 6 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) 8 hours.
(d) 5 hours.
15. What did Emma tell the officer who asked her why she wasn't working?
(a) She wanted to work later.
(b) She worked earlier.
(c) She was tired.
(d) She hoped to get work in Richmond.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was James Vesey assigned to at the start of Chapter 3?
2. What was Emma wearing around her neck?
3. How did Emma test her new identity out?
4. To whom did Emma bring food?
5. How did Emma convince the captain of the mail boat to bring her what she needed?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)