|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Post-structuralism and deconstruction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator explains that the first prestigious name in English writing about literature was that of ________, who wrote his "Apology for Poetry" in about 1580.
(a) Sir Philip Sidney.
(b) Geoffrey Chaucer.
(c) William Blake.
2. The narrator suggests that liberal humanists believe in ________ as something fixed and constant which great literature expresses.
(a) Human nature.
(d) Horizon of expectation.
3. Whom does Peter Barry credit for being the first person and anthropologist to use structuralism in their work?
(a) Claude Levi-Strauss.
(b) Alfred Tennyson.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) W.B. Yeats.
4. What language does the narrator describe as being a Romance language that takes most of its words directly from Latin, and lacks the reassuring Anglo-Saxon layer of vocabulary?
5. What where the only two universities in England in the nineteenth century?
(a) Birmingham and Buckingham.
(b) Oxford and Cambridge.
(c) Kingston and Liverpool.
(d) Manchester and Winchester.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say the reader will have the most difficulty as the result of what?
2. According to Peter Barry in the chapter titled Structuralism, the novel "Middlemarch" is an example of a literary ________.
3. The Introduction states that another name for traditional literary criticism is ________.
4. ________ is defined as the meanings of words according to Saussure.
5. Who does the narrator say was the founder of a method of studying English which is still the norm today?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)