|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Frank asks Lisa what she is going to say to him as she departs with the children for the dacha, she responds how after a brief pause?
2. On Palm Sunday, Lisa takes the children where, with Frank saying he shall join them later?
3. Selwyn takes Charlie to a concert to hear Scriabin play what instrument?
4. En route to the Trading Rows, Charlie says to Dolly he believes he spoke out of turn earlier as her dad what?
5. After Lisa and the children depart on Palm Sunday, Frank gets a call from which division within the Ministry of Defense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Until Chapter 19, the reader is not made aware of the amount of pleasure the warmth of his family's life brings to Frank. How does the author achieve this? How much satisfaction does physical contact provide to Frank? How is it brought out how attune Frank is?
Essay Topic 2
In the first chapter Penelope Fitzgerald introduces the reader to a number of important characters. Who is Nellie Reid? How does the story center on her? Who is Frank Reid? What does he do in the first chapter? How does Selwyn Crane come into the story? What role does he play? What member of the Reid household is Toma?
Essay Topic 3
Between Chapters 9 and 10, the readers get a good view of the wife of the English chaplain. How does the author expose Mrs. Graham's interest in the matters of everyone within Moscow's English community? In what way does she reflect Mrs. Graham's level of honesty with Frank in their discussion about Miss Kinsman and her recommending her for the possible position as the Reid governess?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)