|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two very old workers go to the icon corner in the compositors' room at 4:00 p.m. to do what?
2. What does the individual Frank finds at work after hours do upon being surprised?
3. Following the concert, Selwyn instructs Charlie to stop to look at what?
4. The Reid dacha is closely surrounded by trees as the forest had been cut when?
5. Frank's goal is seeing the break-in investigation does not what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is interesting to see what transpires during the meal Kuriatin has invited Frank to have with him at Rusalochka's tearoom. What are the two apparent motives Kuriatin has for taking Frank out? What effect does the brief appearance of Selwyn, and his spurning Kuriatin's invitation to join the pair, have upon Kuriatin? What is the outcome of this event and its significance?
Essay Topic 2
In the first chapter Penelope Fitzgerald introduces the reader to a number of important characters. Who is Nellie Reid? How does the story center on her? Who is Frank Reid? What does he do in the first chapter? How does Selwyn Crane come into the story? What role does he play? What member of the Reid household is Toma?
Essay Topic 3
Before Lisa has even arrived for her first day of employment at the Reid home Kuriatin imparts what Frank believes is a comment on his hiring her. What is it that Kuriatin relates, and how does Frank regard it? What is it that Tvyordov does that is similar? How does Frank view what Tvyordov does? What concerns Frank?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)